The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What even IS a witch? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
This is interesting:
https://youtu.be/fZNMfSWXDwk

I'm kind of a documentary fiend.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
OMG!
Of course I know about Giles Corey, and the "standing mute" I just recently learned about (preventing his property from being seized and taken from his family by not recognizing the court, I believe) but I didn't know about this curse.

...A Giles Corey seance might be needed!
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Another good primary source:
https://www.amazon.com/Demonology-King-J......monology

I used to have a really good deamonology book that spoke of various trials, including one of a werewolf-Gilles Garnier.
Trying to find the author.
~Will Rogers
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
No idea if this will be any use to you but a podcast called Unobscured goes into intimate details regarding the witch trials in New England. Goes over the why's and more fact based more so than folklore etc
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
This looks interesting too, an anthropological perspective:
https://www.ebooks.com/iphone/book_displ......EALw_wcB
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Wow!!!
I'm now in the position of having way too much cool stuff (...don't stop though). I think I could put together a dozen shows.

I started the Unobscured podcast when it first came out, but wasn't able to keep up with it. I may binge listen though; I listen to the audio of Stacey Schiff's book "Witches" about a year or two ago and it was amazing.

Currently reading this:
https://www.amazon.com/Cunning-Folk-Fami......45190793
I know of Emma Wilby's work, and have read part of her book on Isobel Gowdie, but this looks pretty amazing. She is widely regarded in "Trad Craft" circles as absolutely proving the existences of witches and witch practices in the middle ages. ...so far, I'm convinced. (Obviously her work stands with Ginzburg, who's book I requested from the library and am awaiting).

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Does anyone have aresouorce for anything like this?
AND, what do you think?
It's well known to Reader's of Valiente, and I think it's cool and cute but ....is it TOO kitschy?

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Coincidentally I just stumbled across some stills from the silent film "Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages." Forgot just how creepy it is.
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Yeah, I just saw a still from it yesterday and thought, “oh yeah, I need to use that!”
I saw that first on a VHS of Anton LaVey (“Speak of the Devil”) where, if I remember correctly, they had the images with LaVey singing his Satanic hymn over it.

Jiggery-Pokery
View Profile
New user
Scotland
55 Posts

Profile of Jiggery-Pokery
For a very different angle, try Robert Graves, “The White Goddess “ and look at Robert Cochrane’s work on witchcraft.
Cochrane and Gardner held each other in extreme dislike, you will also find that their craft is in some ways diametrically opposed.
Invovo legem magicarum
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
So many times I’ve meant to read the White Goddess, but never gotten far.
Robert Cochrane’s stuff I am familiar with through Valiente’s books and through the “Traditional Witchcraft” movement that he started/inspired (Irecently read “Besom, Stang and Swrod,” and really enjoyed it; it had many parallels with my understandings).

Is there any particular work on Cochrane that you especially like?

Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Here's a contemporary witch describing herself as a witch and a typical day for a witch from her perspective:

And here's another contemporary witch giving a more direct definition from her perspective:

The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
vickybutterfly
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of vickybutterfly
For many of us it's a little poignant way to remind us of our only way to make a difference.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Can you expand on that a bit?
What specifically is your only way to make a difference?

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What even IS a witch? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL