The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Winners dice - first impressions (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18115 Posts

Profile of IAIN
By first impressions, I mean I've sat and tinkered with this effect late this afternoon for an hour or two...

its a very plain, ordinary 14mm die. White with black spots in regular arrangement and order. The corners are rounded. These are very common here in England.

You get a little box, download link, a little bag with the die inside, and 2 other things. These things are attractive *ahem*

What you need...
something to roll it onto with the gimmick added to it in a sensible manner. They suggest a mat. You cannot do this on any table.

Can you roll it without a cup/shot glass/similar object?
Right now, I'm saying you can. I've been rolling it this afternoon and when you work out the force of the roll needed for it to look natural, I'm saying (with the caveat above) - that it looks ok to me. It looks even better if you add in one or two other non-gimmicked die too (but that depends on your own routine).

So the compromises
They are as follows. Whatever the die is being rolled onto, has to be gimmicked up with one of the things supplied. Alternatives are around, you could wear a certain gimmick and shake the die in a shot glass. You could buy any one of the dice trays out there and adapt it. Lots of options.I had a quick look on amazon and saw these crazy things for gaming. https://www.amazon.co.uk/SmartDealsPro-R......e+shaker

Regardless, as per the demo, THEY can shake the die in a cup/glass/whatever and its fine. My actions are for them to drop the die into a stubby shot glass, put the hand on top, shakey-shakey-shakey, then turn over the glass as its placed down on the mat, trapping the die inside. This gives a little cover and also feels very fair.

What the download doesn't tell you is to watch for the bigger gimmick that comes with this, and to test out polarity as that'll affect what you f&rce. The set up for that is around 5 seconds. They say 3 in the vid, 5 in reality if you factor in finding the gimmick and then doing what is needed. If you don't test the polarity, you run the risk of it resetting to a different f*rce number. Usually the opposite number. I suggest glueing or taping the right polarity side up gimmick to a business card to keep in your pocket so you are always ready and set.

What I've done
i've gone and bought a mixed bag of dice of the same size, some cork coasters and cork adhesive patches so I can make a gimmick...i've spent about 8 pounds in total for 12 dice and the rest of the things.

i'm liking it so far, will keep it and use it 8/10
chuds
View Profile
Regular user
U.K
144 Posts

Profile of chuds
Thanks for a great honest review, it certainly sounds like it is usable.

Cheers
Chuds
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
Thanks for the review but it hasn't swayed me. I don't think this is the type of gimmick I would use. I prefer something more cerebral like Mental Die-mensional and I don't know any of the people concerned with either effect. Good comprehensice review though that should help many in making decisions.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5583 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Very good review and that too coming from a person who physically owns the item and has played with it.

All those who are interested in this prop may please ignore my initial thoughts at the Café's Latest-n-Greatest section. Thank you and sorry for wasting your time reading my thoughts on the prop.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
879 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2018, IAIN wrote:
By first impressions, I mean I've sat and tinkered with this effect late this afternoon for an hour or two...

its a very plain, ordinary 14mm die. White with black spots in regular arrangement and order. The corners are rounded. These are very common here in England.

You get a little box, download link, a little bag with the die inside, and 2 other things. These things are attractive *ahem*

What you need...
something to roll it onto with the gimmick added to it in a sensible manner. They suggest a mat. You cannot do this on any table.

Can you roll it without a cup/shot glass/similar object?
Right now, I'm saying you can. I've been rolling it this afternoon and when you work out the force of the roll needed for it to look natural, I'm saying (with the caveat above) - that it looks ok to me. It looks even better if you add in one or two other non-gimmicked die too (but that depends on your own routine).

So the compromises
They are as follows. Whatever the die is being rolled onto, has to be gimmicked up with one of the things supplied. Alternatives are around, you could wear a certain gimmick and shake the die in a shot glass. You could buy any one of the dice trays out there and adapt it. Lots of options.I had a quick look on amazon and saw these crazy things for gaming. https://www.amazon.co.uk/SmartDealsPro-R......e+shaker

Regardless, as per the demo, THEY can shake the die in a cup/glass/whatever and its fine. My actions are for them to drop the die into a stubby shot glass, put the hand on top, shakey-shakey-shakey, then turn over the glass as its placed down on the mat, trapping the die inside. This gives a little cover and also feels very fair.

What the download doesn't tell you is to watch for the bigger gimmick that comes with this, and to test out polarity as that'll affect what you f&rce. The set up for that is around 5 seconds. They say 3 in the vid, 5 in reality if you factor in finding the gimmick and then doing what is needed. If you don't test the polarity, you run the risk of it resetting to a different f*rce number. Usually the opposite number. I suggest glueing or taping the right polarity side up gimmick to a business card to keep in your pocket so you are always ready and set.

What I've done
i've gone and bought a mixed bag of dice of the same size, some cork coasters and cork adhesive patches so I can make a gimmick...i've spent about 8 pounds in total for 12 dice and the rest of the things.

i'm liking it so far, will keep it and use it 8/10

As far as reliability for the actual outcome.. Does it seem reasonably at 100%?
UBT (UNDERGROUND BOTTOM TEAR) - NOW AVAILABLE!

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18115 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Wow a full quote...

I feel like those who have not had 100% accuracy, have missed the polarity issue... For me it's been 100%
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2348 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
You can use a card box for one of the gimmicks and the m****t in the mat. Works great.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7401 Posts

Profile of pegasus
On Dec 19, 2018, IAIN wrote:
It's not magnetic. I'm sure soon enough one of Ustaad's friends will have one for him to play around with...

Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18115 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah I got it wrong... But at least I bought it and put my money where my mouth is...

We can talk about how often you get it wrong if you like, Pike..
Psyfl
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Psyfl
Thanks very much for the review. This would fit very well with a few routines I do. I've used dice in a few routines before and have always used them in a receptacle anyway because it makes things easier.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
So they can't roll off the table on to the floor....
loserdlj
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of loserdlj
Thanks for the review
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Winners dice - first impressions (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL