The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Square Routine (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
garyogden1957
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of garyogden1957
I am in need of a Magic Square Routine please I am using Matt Johnson's In Plain Sight but need a reason to be writing down random numbers.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I teach a method or two in my books.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
garyogden1957
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of garyogden1957
I need it for Xmas Day, anyway I saw Dr Gore on YouTube doing a simple think of a number then I can do a peek with my wallet. A lot easier than Matt's speed signs blurb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf41F15fsiM&t=22s
Keeping it simple and he uses the same magic square. Thanks anyway.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Gary - you are looking for something today and plan to perform it in two days? Generally not a good move, regardless of how easy it is to execute the trick ...

Hudson
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Very much agreed!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Read athe entire thread!! It's all wrong!.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
garyogden1957
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of garyogden1957
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
Read athe entire thread!! It's all wrong!.

??????????????????????
garyogden1957
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of garyogden1957
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2018, 55Hudson wrote:
Gary - you are looking for something today and plan to perform it in two days? Generally not a good move, regardless of how easy it is to execute the trick ...

Hudson

I feel quite comfortable doing this to a couple of family members. I have studied the workings for a while now. I have the numbers needed on a barcode on the top of my pad.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Gary,
Typically something like 80% of the entertainment value is the presentation, not the mechanics. I will work with something a month or so before trying with family. Then another month before using In an unpaid situation, and about six months or more before it goes into a paid show.
But that's just me.
Hudson
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
OK, the newbie gives up. What's a Magic Square routine?
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I suggest you learn to use the Search function
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Doug Dyment "mindsights" book has a great magic square routine in there. The best I've seen and also gives you about 50 different versions of the "square" so you can repeat it with different numbers. https://www.deceptionary.com/mindsights.html
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2018, Mindpro wrote:

This post did not explain it...why would I think that another would do so?

Cheers,
Teddy
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I closed my act with a magic square for many years - and it always received a standing ovation. You can see it if you go to harry lorayne/magic square --- I think. I'm a terrible computer person.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2018, TeddyBoy wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2018, Mindpro wrote:

This post did not explain it...why would I think that another would do so?

Because there are literally hundreds of pages and many different versions offered. This is a forum for newbies and the Magic Square is not a newbie effect, and this isn't the right forum for its coverage, so you will have to do some searching to find your answers. Also, you have one of the all-time greats here in this thread assisting you whether you ow it or not.

Also, this is not a place to simply ask a question and have the answers just magically appear on a silver platter. It is up to you to do some research and due diligence then if you have questions others will be more helpful and be more willing to assist you. Hence the purpose of the Search function.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
1] "Because there are literally hundreds of pages and many different versions offered."
Thank you for being so generous with my time. I only wanted to know what it was. Not how, why, in front of whom, etc.

2] "Magic Square is not a newbie effect, and this isn't the right forum for its coverage..."
Yet it was posted in NEW TO MAGIC where inexperienced people like myself will encounter it. Maybe you should direct your constructive side to the OP.

3] And with 1/10 the angst you put into this nonsense, you could have given a succinct, civilized answer. Quite the educator!

Cheers,
Teddy
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
One of the things you should take the time to understand is context to a post is determined by the recipient. You have terribly misread this and taken it way out of context as it was intended. I was helping you by giving you sound advice. As performers, we must learn to play to our audience to get the best results. Same here on the Café, you need to learn the lay of the community to get the most out of it. I was simply offering you genuine assistance.

Yes, the OP likely posted this in the wrong forum, and as you can see how it can create problems as it evolves, which was again my point for mentioning it in the first place. One of the first things to learn is you are entering into an existing community. It is up to you to learn how it works. Just because someone may be a "new to magic" member, does not necessarily mean this forum is the right forum to post specific questions. While new to you, it may not be the proper forum for the community. This is exactly why there are many different forums for specific topics and content.

"Thank you for being so generous with my time. I only wanted to know what it was. Not how, why, in front of whom, etc."
If you really wanted to know either, you could simply and easily search The Café or on Google, it really isn't that hard. One must learn to help themselves before expecting others to help you. Our time is just as valuable as yours.

Consider yourself assisted and educated. Respect of working pros taking the time to offer insight and assistance is something else you may want to consider working on yourself. Quite improper forum etiquette.

You're welcome.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Why is the magic square not a newbie effect? It's 99% self working. It's perfect for a newbie
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Bobby, though 99% self working, it is presentation.
I have seen some presentations where it was miracle class and other were just a puzzle.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2018, TeddyBoy wrote:
OK, the newbie gives up. What's a Magic Square routine?

Rather than spend four posts giving you a bunch of guff, I'm just going to answer your question, since no one else has.

Here's a link to a performance of Harry's version, in which he explains it as he goes. It's self-explanatory. And above Harry says he gets a standing ovation from this. https://youtu.be/anHoo5Lw224

Now my own aside: Personally, I've never liked this trick, no matter who does it. For me, it's the worst trick I have ever seen. And no matter who does it or how, it never seems magical to me, and it's alway way too long.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Square Routine (35 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL