The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Zombie Foulard - Standard Size? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I am currently working on some zombie ideas, and was wondering what the size of the standard zombie foulard is. I will be sewing 2 silks together, but I'm not sure what size is best.

A) 27" silks?

B) 36" silks?

Thanks,

Kevin
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Actually, the size suggest most often in the Zombie material I have read is 30" square. The gimmick should met the center and this size usually fits most common gimmicks.

Neil Foster used the Rice Dragon double Zombie silk. The air between the silks makes them opaque according to the late Neil foster.

You did not mention if you are using a design silk or a one color silk. To save on cost, you can back the silk with a black light lining material from the fabric shop.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have made various zombie foulards over the past few years. Most of them are 36" scarves which hemmed are 35" square. A few are only 30" square.

When I made Dale Salwak's last set, I used three 8 momme silks (black in the middle) to make it absolutely opaque.

I believe Neil's Rice Zombie foulard was 2- 10 momme silks sewn together. Possibly Ruth Rice Crone can verify this.

I have made a new version of the dragon foulard using the common dragon silks available now and a black 8 mm. silk. But I redye the edges of the silk so there is more of a black border to hide the gimmick when it is lapped over it.

The size is depends on the gimmick length. You want the ball to be in the center of the cloth.

Some light lining clothes will work but you must watch for static build up in any of the foulard.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Bill, I will be using a design silk. If it is to be 27", I will use butterfly silks from Silk King Studio. If 36" is the size, I may use one butterfly silk and a standard silk for the back (my side).

Thanks for the help.

Anymore views/opinions?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would suggest you take a 36" silk and a standard silk for the back. Sew them together except for one small area. Turn the entire silk inside out and top sitch the whole unit. This helps to hold the silks together, the edges smooth and handling like one silk instead of two silks.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Richard-

Great Advice-Thank you as well!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If you have trouble making it up, I can do it for you. I do have one of the redyed dragon zombie foulard still in stock.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Thanks Hugh, that is very kind of you. I will drop you a PM Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Zombie Foulard - Standard Size? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL