The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How often do you actually use the classic pass? (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Lucas Maillard
View Profile
New user
Paris
25 Posts

Profile of Lucas Maillard
While I'm still not happy with my classic pass, I'm nearly always doing Steve Draun's midnight shift.
It suits the most of the situations for me.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
I should've said, just to be clear: My pass is pretty terrible under strict monitoring, hence why I only do it when they ain't looking.
I'll keep practising though. I want it to be instant like some I've seen. Smile
Good luck with yours everyone,
Paul.
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
Carlo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco, California
244 Posts

Profile of Carlo
All the time. But if you don't like it, don't use it.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2019, gong wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2018, davidpaul$ wrote:
For me, I do the pass on the off-beat or bragging about (tongue in cheek) how I can spring the cards. There are so many ways to casually misdirect the move.

Hmm, seems to confirm that doing a classic pass is risky, since it needs to be done on the off-beat and requires mis-direction.

Both Double Undercut and Marlo's Tilt can be done openly, and you can even call attention to it. "Does that seem like a fair cut?" "See how I'm putting your card in the middle of the deck?"

Tilt might be, but not double undercut. There was an experiment about card controls where audience response to double undercut is least deceptive to them. (reference: http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2018/12/19/control-panel )

Peace,
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2018, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
I'd like to state on the record that I had some smart paragraphs in the middle there.

Things are a lot less fun if you go on the record and acknowledge all the golden eggs of knowledge you shared in the middle Smile
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Watch Kamm's pass (FACE UP) at 1:22 and tell me that isn't a thing of beauty.

No need to be nervous about it when it is done that well. He teaches it in a "Pass Protorial" (face down too) on his site and it really helped me (along with Alex Pandrea's old "Brick Pass" dvd (he just dropped a new download on Blue Crown Christmas day with 7 passes that greatly improves his Brick Pass too).

I do not have a video of davidpaul$ but he is fairly local to me and I have heard nothing but stellar remarks about his skills from both magi and laymen who have seen his work.

For anybody interested in Jonathan Kamm's pro-torial on the classic pass (link at the bottom) -

As I mentioned before, I've always used a variation of the Hermann pass. I've always made it suit my needs. Nonetheless, I just blindly purchased Kamm's pro-torial on the classic pass without being able to find much information on it. With exception of one review giving it very high praise on a different forum, I couldn't find much about it. Honestly, the 40-second trailer on Kamm's site doesn't answer many questions or give the tutorial the justice it deserves. I thought I'd take a moment to give my first impressions about this pro-torial. Once again, I JUST purchased this tutorial a few hours ago. This is NOT a full review about the instruction quality given in the pro-torial, but a first impression about some things I had trouble finding pre-purchase about the pro-torial.

- It's approximately 20 minutes long.

- It's loaded with small nuances that will probably take your classic pass to the next level. For me, I've never taken the time to properly learn/use the classic pass so it will 100% take my classic pass to the next level (with a lot of practice ahead). If you already use the classic pass, I suspect this pro-torial will improve your pass in some way, shape, or form. It may even change your thinking about how it should be performed. Although I've never taken the time to properly learn the classic pass before now, I've certainly read many descriptions and watched many tutorials on it. Kamm's pro-torial definitely hits some details that I've not seen mentioned in many other sources.

- It's filmed and taught from various angles. The video & audio quality is excellent.

- As the trailer shows, Kamm also uses clear blocks to assist in teaching (among other things).

Do NOT be fooled by the simplicity of Kamm's site or the basic 40-second trailer. Neither give the pro-torial the justice it deserves. I paid with PayPal (via Kamm's site below) and had an email from Kamm with the pro-torial download link within moments. For whatever reason, the pro-torial REALLY reminds me of one of my massive hardcover Jack Carpenter books (sorry, the name escapes me at the moment). I'm not sure why: Maybe it's the small details given in the instruction or the professional quality of the tutorial? Not sure. Either way, I'm VERY pleased with this purchase. This is the type of tutorial you'll keep around after "mastering" a move for future reference purposes.

http://jonathankamm.wixsite.com/kammagicshop

AsL
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2019, gong wrote:
But the classic pass is such a fundamental move, that I'll continue working on it (along with the alternatives like Herman pass / gravity half pass).

While the pass is a staple sleight, it's not central to contemporary sleight-of-hand card magic (the same could not be said a hundred years ago). I'd guess most people put more into the move than they ultimately get out of it. Still, there are certain conditions that can only be efficiently achieved using a pass.

If two magicians show me the same trick, except one uses the Bedwell Dribble Control while the other uses the pass, not only will the former's most likely look better, I'd bet he also probably has a better looking pass.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
kardistic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of kardistic
I don't use the classic pass much, but if I do, I always add some misdirection since my pass is not perfect. I still practice it everyday.
jaschris
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of jaschris
I use the spread pass and turnover pass in performance. Both are Hermann Pass variants. Don't see much need for a Classic Pass.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
The consensus appears to be that many practice it, but most do not use it in performance.

This is confirmation of the principle, "Practice at the edge of your ability, perform from the center of it." I fall firmly in this category as well. I've practiced it far more than would ever be warranted by how much use I've gotten from it in front of real people. Just something fun to do whilst no one is watching--this should be your credo whether you're practicing or performing!
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2019, Steven Keyl wrote:
"Practice at the edge of your ability, perform from the center of it."

That's my motto too, only I'm envisioning that Game of Thrones skydoor.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Well I love doing the classic pass! I do use it and will do whenever I feel I can. It's hardly a biggie.
Not sure what the fuss is about, I must be dim. Smile
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The Kamm video:

chosen1
View Profile
Regular user
lots of places
123 Posts

Profile of chosen1
I only use it to do a face up sequence in my ambitious card routine.

Since the whole concept is about me doing a move that they just forget about, it fits in nicely. Even if there is some kind of "flicker" it feels more like bad editing than sleight of hand, which is the exact feeling I want to give anyway.

That might be a good way to build up your pass confidence. Try to surround the move around a moment that it's ok if they see or feel that something happened. Then you can tell by their reaction just how good your pass is getting. Kind of like classic forcing a card when you don't have to, to help practice the move.

Good luck. It's a beast!

Best,
Brandon
We should all be in a constant state of wonder
IncantoMagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of IncantoMagic
Michael Ammar talks about "why change the places of 52 cards, when you only need to control one?" and advocates techniques like the side steal instead. There are quite a few hidden single card controls available, including some of the most classic, such as the Diagonal Palm Shift, to the more contemporary, like Guy Hollingsworth's palm from Drawing Room Deceptions, heck, someone just realeased a sleight called one armed bandit, that is a one handed center steal.

I practice my pass, but don't have a good understanding of the angles. I learned from Richard Kaufman's dvd, but that video focuses mostly on showing many variations, and not so much on the in depth detail of the technique.
MagicianInTrouble
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of MagicianInTrouble
Everything in its place.

It's worth considering, though, that it's not very difficult to simply openly cut the deck and have that action fly completely under the audience's radar. You just have to stage things so the action is so unimportant they don't perceive it. Given the choice between performing a pass and simply cutting the deck, both of which can achieve exactly the same end, I tend to lean in one particular direction. But to each his own.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2019, MagicianInTrouble wrote:
It's worth considering, though, that it's not very difficult to simply openly cut the deck and have that action fly completely under the audience's radar. You just have to stage things so the action is so unimportant they don't perceive it.

Natch. But also, ain't nothing wrong with a sure thing.
MagicianInTrouble
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of MagicianInTrouble
Ha, ha...I didn't mean to imply that this was an argument against the pass. Smile
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
After 20+ years of performing professionally, I don't do a classic pass. For me it's something that's fun to practice, and that's about it. In the real world for real people, I use a double udnercut, flip flop plop, a control by Gary Oullet I can't remember, and a few different Herman pass variations. VERY few people, including a few big name card guys have a truly invisible classic pass. Mostly this is because they don't understand the concept of misdirection and as Malini said..."Vaiting a veek." Jonathan however, is someone who earns his entire living doing REAL magic for REAL people, much of it card magic. His pass is really one of the best I've "never" seen.
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
512 Posts

Profile of jcigam
Interesting to hear opinions on a classic (pass) of magic.

I use the Classic Pass most times I ask someone to return a card to the deck and I need to control it to the top. I don't use it as a method to reveal their chosen card; I use it, because it is the most succinct method to get it to the top, which is where I like to manage it from. Of course there is "context" that needs to be considered, but that's a lesson all on its own.
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How often do you actually use the classic pass? (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL