The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Egg or Golf Ball - Egg Bag discussion (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
robert_baxt
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, CA. USA
87 Posts

Profile of robert_baxt
Bill Hegbli, when doing my routine for family audiences, I always preface it with how it's a lesson in the dangers of drinking and drugs. I have found parents and teachers are always so grateful to me for doing some of the parenting for them! Smile And as no one sees my purple Crown Royal Egg Bag until the moment I pull it out, I don't have to worry about anyone telling me not to do it in advance.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
For my character, the classic egg bag works great so that's what I use. But if it works for your character, the Baxt routine is by far the most logical egg bag routine out there and the rattle adds a whole new convincer. Plus, if you are a comedy magician.. the routine is right there. Aspirin and Crown Royal Bag... done.

I do think sometimes magician worry too much about props being organic or natural. We are magicians... to some extent I think people are expecting some odd props. My character both on and off stage loves magic and the history of magic, that means I can have classics of magic just because they are classics of magic. I open the Egg Bag by saying "By now you already know that I love the classics of magic. This next classic is the appearance and disappearance of a simple yet delicate object... and it starts with nothing. Nothing but this simple cloth bag..."
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1526 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I attended Jeff Hobson's lecture at the Palm Springs IBM Ring just last week. I got to see Jeff perform his routine in-person and it was delightful. I purchased one of his bags (after the lecture) and opted for a green one and also chose the golf balls instead of the eggs. I plan to work up a golf-themed routine.

I also got to meet Marvyn Roy, aka Mr. Electric. That was a real treat and unexpected because I'd heard he'd had some recent health issues. It was wonderful to see him front and center to enjoy Jeff's lecture.

My thanks to the fine folks at the Palm Springs Ring for hosting this delightful evening of Magic!

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I use the egg bag in various shows in the corporate market I work

I use an egg & a glass drink production finale and for Golf club events I use a golf ball..fabulous effect. Jeff Hobson is brilliant also
Heres 1 of the best Golf ball routines by Martin Lewis on a cruise-ship..enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5pCyxRpWwk
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bret McLeod, thanks for posting that video, I learned a lot.

Great routine by Martin Lewis, enjoyed it, and all the laughs he received. He is a real pro, and very creative person.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
That was great. Martin's timing is oustanding. And the length of the routine <Just right....not too long...not too short> , plus the kicker ending, made it a commercial winner, in my opinion.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, but was that a plastic practice golf ball or a real golf ball. The jury is out on that one, I could not tell just by watching.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I developed a parlour routine that used a boxes off eggs. The volunteer would shuffle the eggs and sign the egg. At the end of the routine I would get them to crack the egg into a glass and say 'is that your egg'. I had a few spectators and fellow magicians say it was a strong end as the egg was proven real and once the egg is cracked it really is over.

A egg in the mind of the spectator is something that cant be tampered with and yeah we know how delicate they can be.

How evre can I just say good on you for thinking of using somthing else. Yeah it may not be the most creative orignal idea. But many magican will go it called a egg bag so I will use a egg.

at the end of the day give anything a crack!
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I just got a very early Christmas present from my wife today and it is Martin Lewis's Golf. I recommend everybody look at this genius use of an egg bag. I will be reviewing this shortly but let me just say this took me by surprise when Martin Lewis showed it to me. I can tell you I already strongly recommend this plus there are only 50 sets made at least for now and I believe he has two left. After I look at the instructions I will do a review.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
To answer an earlier question on the Martin Lewis "Golf" set. The ball is neither a real golf ball (too heavy) nor is it a plastic, practice ball (too light) but rather a ball selected and made for the specific bag being used (just right). It is a solid ball and that is what Martin asked the spectator helper to confirm.

As Eric mentioned above they are a limited run production. As of today (10-12-20) there are two left.

Some time ago Jeff Hobson made and sold a very nice appearing golf club with the suggestion it be used with his green egg bag and a sourced practice golf ball for use in a golf themed egg bag presentation.

The major differences between the two sets: Martin's uses a slightly smaller version of his Mardo Egg Bag (smaller in dimensions), The ball is solid and heaver than a practice golf ball but not as heavy as a regulation golf ball and the club has an appearing golf club with a head made by Martin Lewis. Whereas the Hobson version uses his designed and purpose made egg bag in a green material. The ball used is a lightweight, high end, practice ball that is perfect for the specific egg bag. Jeff makes his appearing golf club from using a real golf club head (wedge).

Presently, Jeff Hobson is sold out of appearing golf clubs and has been for some time. They may remain out of stock for some time to come.

Martin's comes as a complete kit ready to practice and rehearse. Jeff's is more a la' carte.
If you watch the advert clip for Jeff Hobson's Green bag you'll see a "rational" for the bag's existence and the backbone of the patter/story line. The rational could easily be used with the Martin Lewis' bag IF you wished. Martin's routine goes a different direction in general.

As to Egg, golf ball, or bottle of Aspirin. I'd say it is horses for courses. There is a presentational "rationale" for each and within the framework of that rational the object works. Any can all be the source of a good routine given the performer and the presentation. Finding your presentation and making it work for you is probably as important as the prop you use.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Dears, anyone could kindly point me to some resources regrading multiples eggs(or loads) production with the egg bag?
thanks
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2020, DrVG wrote:
Dears, anyone could kindly point me to some resources regrading multiples eggs(or loads) production with the egg bag?
thanks

What brand egg bag are you using?

Have not ever seen something like that added to the classic egg bag routine. I suggest you buy a quantity of sponge eggs and work out your own method.

I found this great price, so you can buy a number of Goshman Sponge foam eggs at only a dollar a piece. Regularly $3.95 each.

https://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop......EALw_wcB
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
For a reference you can read Roy Benson's Egg Bag routine in Bruce Elliott's "Classic Secrets of Magic". The routine involves finding several eggs in an otherwise shown empty egg bag. The book is in digital form via Amazon Kindle.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Too often, when I performed for kids, they'd point out the egg was fake, even if a blown egg was used. I'm not going to argue with a kid, so I use a practice golf ball. For adults, I can use an egg.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2020, Alan Munro wrote:
Too often, when I performed for kids, they'd point out the egg was fake, even if a blown egg was used. I'm not going to argue with a kid, so I use a practice golf ball. For adults, I can use an egg.

I always use the line,

It's real alright. Real fake!

Then bounce it off my table. Works for me and it has never diminished the magic.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No one has ever commented about the egg. Most likely because I perform the silk to egg routine, then break the egg into a newspaper that was torn and restored. I then open the newspaper, and show the egg has vanished as well as the mess from the newspaper.

When I produce the egg for the 1st time using the Malini Egg bag, see the Ken Brooke's routine. I always get a big laugh from the audience.

You see, they already seen the egg magically transform from a silk to a real raw egg. I break the egg to prove it is real. After the restoration of the newspaper, I pour the egg, yoke, and whites in the newspaper, and the mess vanishes.

This is what is called, routing your act so it flows from one effect to the next.
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
246 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Just catching up and seeing this post. I'm still on COVID time!

I perform my regular egg routine for general audiences and my golf routine for special occasions where I know the audience would appreciate it namely all-men show or a golf outing. I just performed a golf outing, did the golf routine and ended with the club production. Yup, a hit. I always keep both options open. Why not?

I'm now manufacturing my "Half-In-The-Bag" whiskey bag routine. Originally performed by Billy McComb, Trevor Lewis and others. It comes with my personal full-script full of laughs, re-designed bag and gimmicks before the end of this year. It's a perfect departure from the normal egg-bag type of routines and ends your show in a way that gets you applause automatically.
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Jeff, when will you be releasing the "half-in-the-Bag" props and routine? Looks to be a good option have handy.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I looked at Jeff's website and I don't see a listing for "Half-In-the Bag" don't know what that means. Half Pint?

Does your golf routine only come with the Green Bag?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
"Half in the bag" is slang for drunk, mildly drunk, or nearly drunk. Given the routine mentioned has a final load of a shot or two of whiskey then I can see how the title of the routine makes sense.

Apparently the routine, bag, and props have not been released yet. Maybe Jeff will find time to come back and let us know when it's released. Maybe then he will answer your golf routine question.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Egg or Golf Ball - Egg Bag discussion (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL