The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » If money were no object... (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
If money were no object
what would you certainly include in your kid's magic show.
Not that I have millions to spend but I'm interested in the answers.
I want some inspiration in what to invest, I think it's better to buy one very good item then to fill up my junk drawer.
Best wishes
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
INVEST in a QUALITY BOOK, like TARBELL, and, you won't need to ask that question!!!

Learn PRINCIPLES!

Many will suggest THEIR favorite TRICK. (my pants, won't necessarily fit you!)

I've made a good living, performing magic all over the USA for most of my life.

I learned MOST of what I have needed to know, from TARBELL.

You can't BUY a SHOW, or a TRICK! You can only buy a PROP, or SECRET.

MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING! It's YOUR PRESENTATION, that produces ENTERTAINMENT.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
Mr Oslund, very true, quality books are treasures and I have quite a decent amount of them in my posession like the tarbell course, books of wonder, magic and showmanship, scripting magic, books by eugene burger etc...
that is already a really good advice
Note that I deliberately didn't use the word tricks or effect in my question.
I am currently in doubt of wether or not order a new custom outfit or not or maybe a new sawing table to improve my home workshop or god forbit even a new reputation maker effect could be welcome
I just ask for some toughts on the matter to get some inspiration by other people's wish lists
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
"Many will suggest THEIR 'DREAM' TRICK." -THEIR pants won't fit YOU.

Have you READ Tarbell??????? or do Doc's words just decorate your book shelf? I KNEW Doc. His presentations are archaic. but, the PRINCIPLES aren't.

You don't seem to understand that, it's not the PROPS, IT'S THE PERFORMER, AND HIS/HER PRESENTATION!!!

MAGIC is 5% sleight of hand technique, 5% perceptual illusion, 5% esoteric principles of science, AND, 85% P S Y C H O L O G Y!!!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9527 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I would invest in the art and science of the business of performing. So many performers, especially kids performers seem to only (or primarily) care about the tricks, their backdrop, animated logo, etc. They often are constantly struggling to always be finding their next booking and income.

Learn about the business of entertainment as it is not only where true success is created, but it is where you will get the greatest return and rewards and can truly establish yourself as a top kids entertainer in your market and your business as a great service to your customers.

It literally can provide the single-most greatest return of any dollar you can spend on your performing. Most don't realize how good it can also make your performance itself as well.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YUP!!!
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
"Many will suggest THEIR 'DREAM' TRICK." -THEIR pants won't fit YOU.

True, but I certainly don't know everything and every principle that is out there and hearing ideas helps to create your own idea's
their pants won't fit you... true to some extend... they might fit or may give a tweak so that mine fit even better

Have you READ Tarbell??????? or do Doc's words just decorate your book shelf? I KNEW Doc. His presentations are archaic. but, the PRINCIPLES aren't.
I have read every single letter at least once (altough I must say that I can't remember all of it, it is an alladin's cave)
and as you suggest I use books like tarbell to learn principles and ADAPT them and the presentation to my persona

You don't seem to understand that, it's not the PROPS, IT'S THE PERFORMER, AND HIS/HER PRESENTATION!!!
I opened this topic exactly to further develop my show, my presentation as a whole
a bit like a brainstorming session

I'll try to make myself clear again, I am looking for ideas, suggestions, whatever for inspiration to DEVELOP myself,
I don't know how you work but for me it works a bit like this: someone shows me something or I read something in a book it may be a trick, a sleight, a principle, heck even a joke and it gets my mind and imagination going and an idea starts forming that I probably will not have if I haven't read or heard something to get it all started

If you are blessed with a creative mind that produces several great ideas out of thin air, then I am very jealous but for me it doesn't come like that. And I try to work hard to get idea's to devellop.
I hope you get what I mean (in balloon terms it's like seeing a new design of a figure and use some parts of it to form a completely new figure, a small part inspired to make something new f.e. I was shown a purple minion design wich had some features that immediately made me think of a squid and I was able to use a part of the design to devellop my own version of a squid)

MAGIC is 5% sleight of hand technique, 5% perceptual illusion, 5% esoteric principles of science, AND, 85% P S Y C H O L O G Y!!!
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Balloons!
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1702 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I’d invest in the non-physical aspects of the show. Travel to Jeff McBride’s Mystery School, for example. Mine, dance, and clowning will all add to your skill set in ways you would have a very hard time learning from books. Hire a skilled stage director to help you make your current show more professional. Each of us has enough tricks for lifetimes of performance material, but who can’t improve on the presentation?

If you must add to the physical props, invest in the look of your show. Get a professional logo and integrate it into your whole show. What this means for one person may be different from another. But signs, your wardrobe, business cards, website, and any other promotional material should all make it clear that you are more than a person with a suitcase full of expensive props.

If you have already taken care of all this and need a tax write off to spend money on, perhaps a really good flea circus would set you apart from the rest of the performers in your area.

Patrick
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2227 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Although it was over 40 years ago, and I was 12 years old at the time, I can still clearly remember the local ‘professional’ at the time. He obviously subscribed to the theory that if you buy every expensive, colorful and flashy prop you will be a success and the talk of the town. Even at that young age I knew this was not the way to true success, nor the path I would ever follow.

If pressed on this question, I suppose I would buy a year’s worth of paid bills so I didn’t have to work. Instead, I would read all of the books and props I’ve accumulated but currently sit on the shelf or in a drawer.

Yes, homework is the only worthwhile investment.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ6cyCmLpAs while these are babies, you will find working for younger children up to about 8, will love balloons at their party. Invest in balloon magic for kids. Candy and toys will also be a hit but get the parents permission before giving out candy. There may be health issues or dietary concerns to take into consideration.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2019, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ6cyCmLpAs while these are babies, you will find working for younger children up to about 8, will love balloons at their party. Invest in balloon magic for kids. Candy and toys will also be a hit but get the parents permission before giving out candy. There may be health issues or dietary concerns to take into consideration.

I know, I get more bookings as a balloon artist then I get as a magician,
but then again I am better at balloons then I am at magic
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
And to make things clear: I am not especially interested in buying new stuff, I am just looking for ideas

the whole if money were no issue means; what would you like most to have/use in your kid show going from a director to help you script your show to a particular effect or sound system,...
Just to know what's in other entertainers' heads, to get some inspiration

man I feel like I really have to defend myself here
did I chose my words that badly so that everybody thinks I just want more and expensive tricks??
That was not what I meant
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:

You didn't mention LATEX ALLERGIES!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2019, tophatevents wrote:
And to make things clear: I am not especially interested in buying new stuff, I am just looking for ideas

the whole if money were no issue means; what would you like most to have/use in your kid show going from a director to help you script your show to a particular effect or sound system,...
Just to know what's in other entertainers' heads, to get some inspiration

did I chose my words that badly so that everybody thinks I just want more and expensive tricks??

Go back and read Mindpro's comment again, Ditto Mr. Woolery's. Ditto Ken Northridge. (Mine, too.) I could tell you horror stories about passing out candy. Ignore the balloons suggestion (Latex allergies) also.

You need to learn more about ENTERTAINMENT! (Magic is NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING!!!)

It aint the PROPS! It's the PERFORMER!!!

Pick up my dvd of my school show. Read my book. I made a living for 50 years, with the simplest of generic props!
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:

You didn't mention LATEX ALLERGIES!

I think and I might be wrong but as a nurse and someone with severe allergie (shellfish) it is up to the parents and in later age up to the child to notifie allergies when needed.
I think mr Oslund when you were younger people sold magic tricks that worked with (dangerous) chemicals that in this day and age would be an absolute no go, that was far from ideal but everyone is so scared nowadays and nobody takes their own resonsabilities... it's a bit sad

if I buy a plate of paella it's not the cook's fault that there is shelfish there it is my responsabilitie... in some extend it's the same with balloons I think
But Always be prudent, nothing wrong with that.
I hope you get my point, it is not good to be overprotective
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9527 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2019, tophatevents wrote:

Unfortunately, that is how so many magicians look at things.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9527 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I also think if money was no object after the first thing being the proper entertainment business knowledge and foundation, I would invest greatly into professional components that could truly elevate your performance, perception, positioning, and operation.

Customized, branded props, a true professional sound system (not Happy Amps or Passport amplification systems), proper production of your performance, a nice branded vehicle, a strategic and professional promotional targeted campaign, top-level promotional materials, and many of these types of things that would specifically separate yourself from the typical, cheezy stereotype kids magicians.

Professionalism is something very few performers truly understand on all levels. Most seem to have their own basic definition and rarely expand beyond that. Giveaways, branding, and multiple sources of revenue (again all part of the entertainment business education) all could contribute to this as well.
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
240 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
"a true professional sound system"

Yes! This makes a big difference and not just during the show. Pre-show and post-show music really add to the experience, really adds a professional look. I was super resistant at first, but it made a huge difference to shows.
Dr Rick
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
72 Posts

Profile of Dr Rick
As the dad of two young kids I have seen a handful of these shows lately and a TT and a ribbon out the nose /ear gets a huge laugh. Make yourself the butt of all the jokes. The best guys I’ve seen locally only do about 4 tricks/routines in half an hour and a lot of pantomime. The good sound system idea is a good one. Looks professional and you can keep control without sounding cross.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » If money were no object... (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL