The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Are all street buskers crude and rude? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
First to respond to DarryltheWizard- no not all buskers are rude and or crude, it also depends on your definition

I use some innuendo but I preference it with "Sit the children down in front, that way the adult humor goes right over their heads ... and if it doesn't, it nothing I taught them" - plus it draws people in - include someone's children = $

Very funny thing happened not long ago, I do some prop gags - one being the 8' straw from my pocket, when the straw is about 4' out of my pocket I stop and say "Stand back, I don't know how big this thing is going to get, ..... I've always wanted to say that .......... and mean it"

I was about at that point and a gentleman and his son (who is about 7) stop by with the crowd, I get the straw a few more feet out and the man remarks "That's not the biggest straw I've ever seen" So I ask him "What was the biggest straw you've ever seen?" he replies "I can't say right now", his son deadpans "His /proper term for male organ/"

Everyone bursts out laughing, I had to stop and laugh, thought I was going to cry I was laughing so hard

They came up and spoke with me afterward, both very nice (and the Mother was with them, she was trying to hide after her son blurted out)

Thumbs up koz! thanks again for all the great info you shared about New Orleans with me (you too BroDavid), regrettably I won't be moving there

General Practicioner/Lawrence Zane - have you ever considered decaf?
Just because it's your opinion doesn't make it right and it makes it a little harder to hear your opinion when you come across in what can be perceived in a negative or chest thumping fashion

In fact I'm going to do you a huge favor
(it could be said) You're not a magician nor do you perform magic
Think long and hard about that statement, it can make you a better performer
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
General Practicioner
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of General Practicioner
If Koz checks with his friend all will be revealed about the street beggar thing.I sense that he is grinning from ear to ear as he reads this which he undoubtedly is. He also got high falutin' over the matter and then realised that this is exactly what he and the rest of you are. After this revelation from the heavens he started to use the term himself. I don't even think he knew he was doing it.

I venture to predict that you will also start to describe yourself as a street beggar in time to come. In fact you will revel in the description. Your friend will no doubt e-mail you privately to explain the whole thing. I thought he had done so already.

He told me that street magicians don't take themselves too seriously. I am beginning to think that they do.

Still, you do not have the context of the matter. It involves one of your brethren that you do not approve of. And neither do I. I called him a street beggar and you would too. However the name stuck and your friend seemed to enjoy it. I venture to predict that once you get used to the shock of the term you will be happy and proud to call yourself a street beggar among your friends and colleagues.

Sooner or later everyone on this board will be calling themselves this without my help.With great and wondrous glee too.

Now why did you arrive in New Orleans with only $4 in your pocket? Big time street magicians who earn more than doctors and lawyers shouldn't have to do this. I suspect you have had more zilch days than you admit to. Either that or you have spent your money on wine, women and song. Shame be upon you.

Mind you I once arrived in a foreign country with only $50 dollars in my pocket. I was sweating and worried if I would get through customs and immigration with this paltry sum. The country in question takes a dim view of people showing up with only $50.

I got in though and in a few days managed to rustle up a thousand dollars or so. In my line of work ( when I am not organising festivals) it is called "ducking and diving".

I happen to know that street beggars do a lot of "ducking and diving"
I would be delighted to give you work but I am not in a position to do so at the present time. Your friend will no doubt explain why.

I did not give your friend work but I did manage to help him earn some money recently.

James the levitator is accusing me of being an elitist. I will admit to this and in fact am very proud of so being. In the same way that street performers should be proud of their begging skills. I do wish a few of them would perform in a more decorius manner though. On the odd occasion that I have a crowd around me I am renowned for my courtesy and politeness to the assembled multitude. Anyone that has seen me work will no doubt attest to this.

Now to Vick. I must say that he does sound an experienced street beggar. I will be delighted to explain to him that if something is my opinion it DOES in fact make it right. In matters of this kind I am never wrong.

I AM a magician and I do perform magic. I can modestly say that I do so better than anyone else. This is why I do not have to beg on the street for money like the rest of you. I will concede however that I beg elsewhere. I do so in a masterly fashion and you will like me better once you get to know me.

Now do go and fight with Darryl who started all this in the first place and who has now gone off to hide. You would think he would come to my aid to fend off all the vulgar people who believe in rudeness on the street.

This thread reminds me of Shakespeare somehow. Much ado about nothing. Come to think of it Shakespeare had something to do with my presence here. I don't like reading Shakespeare.He is even more elitist than me. Figure that one out. I like talking in riddles.

The astute among you will figure out what I mean.
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
554 Posts

Profile of vernon
Such a large thread so far, and a healthy discussion. My tuppence worth.
Whilst I respect anyones views and opinions I don't think its right to sprout off words to anyone whos working and trying to earn a living off the streets as an entertainer...and revel in it when you get one up and over the street guy. There has to be a limit on what you say in a show as yes, there are children around. There always is. If you swear and use blatantly bad language, this will be reflected in the hat.
I have seen Gazzo, and Nick Nicolas.I laughed and was gobsmacked with their performance. Top guys.Off colour, true, but brilliant timing and respect for their audience.Funny funny people.
Ive also had the opportunity to work with Dallas (fire eating juggler) and hes clean, and again very funny and a great show.
So it all boils down to your own personality and what you enjoy doing.But its not really on for any entertainer or magician that's in any audience and they try to get one over (a. they should know not to, and b.makes them look smug)asits just not cricket.
Vernon
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
To GP. Your posts are some of the funniest things I have read in this area. Like all GOOD comedy they must be based on a nugget of truth.

Most street performers are seen as beggars and street people by passer by. You dug right into that nerve and obtained the prescribed response from those of us who worry about it most. I know that my first reaction was to take a defensive approach.

Making disparaging remarks about how we “lower the art” was a hoot. Using insult humor to let those who use insult humor in their shows know how it feels, very clever indeed.

You are also right about many street performers not knowing how to manage money. By day I am a computer network engineer and I know more than a few of them who didn’t know how to save as well. When the rainy days came in the form of the dot com bust I watched them sell their Beemers while I drove my Saturn to work everyday remaining gainfully employed. People are people. Some get it and some don’t

Your hideously transparent posts also carry more weight than a good laugh if they get the reader to think.

Instead of trying to change your opinion I am thinking about how these blunt statements can be used to my advantage, interesting things to consider I assure you.

Once or twice per season I get a gentleman such as you in my audience. My audience and I always have fun with your type. Sometimes I win you over and you enjoy the show and sometimes I let you walk away having the last word. Because I know you won’t leave unless you think you have had the last word.

But, once you are out of earshot my audience and I have a good laugh over the likes of you. After all it is always MY show. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5367 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Lol....well here we go....i arrived in new orleans as a test....with no money...had to prove it to myself...did have a credit card though...it was a challenge...you see, a friend of mine a few years ago, we were having this conversation....i said ( about another gentlman)...man that guys arrogant, my friend said to me, well you know you are a little arrogant your self....and I responded...."look at what I do for a living, I go to some town that no one knows me, set up my little table on a street corner,i have a couple of lemons, a cup, a pack of cards and 5 coins, and I have to stop people,. make them watch me for 10 minutes....and at the end of it all, get them to give me money....now would'nt I have to be a little arrogant".....yep, I have said in the past to my friend brian bloodworth, a very excellant magi himself....we are beggars...but it was a joke by us who understand that we are often looked at by people on the streets as beggars...and although we aren't beggars...in many minds we are...so I guess perception is truth...and in that case we are beggars....

our friend gp...is here to get a rise from us....and he has....and I have stirred the pot...just to see where it goes....cause that's what that guy KOZMO does....

ask yourself, how close are you to being a beggar?....
do you hasstle people when they leave with out paying...do you use all the lines...call them cheap....should you...if you do does that bring you closer to being a beggar...dhow do you respond when you are trying to stop people as they pass by, and they don't stop..and they say "get a real job"

its a very difficult thing that we do...and humbling...come out on the streets and play....for those of you who haven't....you will learn aboout your character...who you are...and how far you are willing to go to be successful...gp, come on out and play....this is a tough world...and I don't recommend it to anyone...you have to be discliplined with your time, work when you can...save your money...pay taxes ...social security so you have something from the government when you are done....if GEORGE BUSH doesn't screw it up....gp is right...FLAT OUT RIGHT....this is not where you want to end up.......at 50 it hurts to work....cant work as hard....at 60, well I cant imagine...but, man oh man...its been a hell of a ride...i get to go anywhere I want,....see the world... its fantastic...i also miss my son growing or at least part of it...which is horrible....i am truly blessed that I get to do this....but don't end up a broken down street performer..who no one wants to watch....there are all kinds of things out there...on the road....drink, drugs....its lonley most of the time...being a gypsy is tough....but it has rewards....

gp, why cant you give me work?...i thought you were the man?....at least that's what you have been saying....come on boy...pay up!

danny, I love ya babe!

koz
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Art for the sake of art…

I spent most of the day yesterday at the MFA with Paul Gauguin (his work I mean, Gauguin himself is very dead). Gauguin was a fellow who described his work as crude and vulgar in the most beautiful way.

What is vulgar and crude to you might be quite nice to me. The flip side of that is I might find the work you hold in much esteem to be quite vulgar and crude.

What is bad language? I mean really, I could go on a philosophical rant that would bore anyone to tears about how words are well, words.

Jay Leno, a fellow who seems to be held in much esteem as a non vulgar performer used to work amateur night here in the Boston area at the strip joints. On stage he could describe the most lewd and vile acts without using a curse word. Big deal, it didn’t make his stuff any funnier. Leno was edgy, real edgy, crude, and rude. He was also funny, no matter what he did. If you are good you are good. Jay Leno would be just as funny if he used lewd language but he chose not to, because he was marketing himself to a specific demographic. It was a calculated and contrived choice on his part. If you don’t believe me ask him, that is what I did.

That type of language allowed him to market himself to a wider target audience. If that is what you want that is great. It has worked in a most spectacular fashion for him.

It doesn’t make him any better than Bruce, Pryor, or Carlin. It also doesn’t make him any worse, just different.

To me art is something that evokes an emotion from the audience. This is different than a reaction. The artist who works at the high end of the scale will work to evoke the strongest emotion from his audience. He also needs to know who his audience is, because those outside his chosen demographic may have an equally strong but opposite emotional experience from the same artwork.

It is all art. The rest is a matter of personal taste.

To call one type junk is to call it all junk.

Who cares, life is short. Find what you enjoy and enjoy that. Know yourself, the rest will take care of itself.

Best,

Dan-

Posted: May 10, 2004 10:10am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Koz, honey, I'm engaged to a girl. I don't go for that kind of stuff Well there was that one night but I was drunk and needed the ride home.

I'M JUST KIDDING!!

**i don't drink**

I'm KIDDING!

**it was my car**

ox

Dan-

Posted: May 10, 2004 10:44am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, GP, I have someone LIKE YOU in my show once or twice per year. I work in Harvard Square here in Cambridge. Two blocks away from MIT and a rock throw away from Harvard.

The person I am describing is a combination of brilliance and misery. I see them standing there bathed in the dower stink of the intellectual dung heap that hangs in their head. They think about everything. They analyze everything. They enjoy very little, and certainly not my show.

There they stand, arms folded across their chest, eyes dulled because their focus is turned inward, staring at me like I was a pork chop on a wedding cake. To them, I make no sense.

This piques my interest. Because my secret is, I used to be just like him, walking through life never seeing the simple and focused on the complex, all science no philosophy.

Then I saw the light. In the end we all wind up with dirt on our face. Alexander the great is stopping a bung hole in a beer keg as we speak if you believe the Dane.

The sad thing is when it is all said and done, for most, there will be more said than done. I want to see if I can get him to do something. I want him to loosen up and feel the joy. Let the sun shine on his pasty, basement green face.

I am not heckling him. I am talking to him, and I am sincere. When I say, “Buddy, you need to unfold your arms before somebody tries to bury you.” He will laugh because it is not delivered to him in an insulting manner. We will all laugh because I was aware of three things, inflection, motivation, and sincerity.

It’s all about sincerity, if you can fake that brother, you’ve got it made.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Danny and Koz,

Nice posts.

GP

Thanks for the laughs.
What would Wavy do?
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
You can't go through life without offending someone. I probably can't go a day without offending someone, and I'm not out on the street daily. Smile It's just a fact of life. But for the one person I offend, another 10 had a good laugh. And certainly not at the other person's expense.

If you have one or two casualties, and a full hat at the end of your show, I think the hat has spoken louder. So let the hat have the last word.

If your show/artistic expression can be appreciated and enjoyed by the majority, and bring you an acceptable take, I see no reason to censor yourself.
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I mean really, take a look at this thread. We are taking a look at this and making headway. It is a good subject and one we don't dig into too much.

Best,

Dan-

whitelephant
View Profile
New user
Jerusalem
97 Posts

Profile of whitelephant
HHHMMmmmm...
My 20 agurot (1.8 cents american)-
Has anyone thought about the difference between what's "rude" in Toronto (A city where it seems people don't Jatwalk)-to what's "rude" in New Orleans (a city known for throwing beads)?

In sociology an example of two doctors talking is often given. One Doctor is from an Asain country-the other a Middle Eastern one. As the two talk it seems to onlookers that they sre dancing- Physical space does not cross cultural borders, surely what is rude changes from place to place.

Second- ALWAYS PUSH THE EDGE.
It makes people think Smile
drink water...
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Danny,

These posts definately have made me think. But it's still difficult to get passed GP's acid tone. The thing is I might even agree with the basic premise of the initial post but for two things:

1) I've seen Gazzo perform several times in Key West and Virginia Beach and though he may be rude I have never heard him use bad language as part of his show. I also saw Leno way before the tonight show and you're right, he went as far as you possibly could without using "those words." There's really not much difference between what he used to do and what Gazzo does.

and

2 For someone who is arguing against insulting his audience GP is sure slinging the mud in here. And we are the audience. It's the hypocrisy, man, it's making me nuts.

But putting that aside, I see the value of this discussion. And you're right, there's a lot to learn when I put my ego aside.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
whitelephant
View Profile
New user
Jerusalem
97 Posts

Profile of whitelephant
Quote:
On 2004-05-09 23:46, the levitator wrote:
Just do what you like, be the character you like to be, and don't project your beliefs, morals and ethics on the rest of the world and we'll all be hin a better place.

Just one more thought-
I have to disagree with this above quote-I think we have a great chance to project our morality-and I do it whenever (well often at least) I can.
drink water...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2726 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Do you think Eddie Murphy might say that comedy is art? So Bill Cosby says Murphy is a bad comedian. What gives him the right? Oh yea! The Bill of Rights. But that doesn't make him right? By the way I think Gazzo is brillant.

Actually what gives Cosby the right is the fact that he's got 40+ years in the comedy business and he might know what he's talking about. (He also did "blue humor" when he was starting out.) Since Eddie Murphy has begun to tone down his act and try to be more "family friendly," Cosby may just have a point.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
587 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Quote:
On 2004-05-10 12:04, whitelephant wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-05-09 23:46, the levitator wrote:
Just do what you like, be the character you like to be, and don't project your beliefs, morals and ethics on the rest of the world and we'll all be hin a better place.

Just one more thought-
I have to disagree with this above quote-I think we have a great chance to project our morality-and I do it whenever (well often at least) I can.

I agree with White Elephant: when folks say "don't project your beliefs, morals, ethics" they are caught in their own hypocrisy: the directive "don't project" is part of their morals, and they are attempting to project it on the rest of us!

pedant-mode off Smile
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Penn and Teller started on the street and said their accountant told them if the reported to the IRS what they were making, they would be considered drug dealers. Pretty funny.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5367 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Some of us do, money that is. And Bill Cosby does not have the right to say that you need to change your act, you should not be working. Well he has the right but he's wrong for doing it. Add up the hat for Cosby and Murphy. Murphy wins hands down.

Posted: May 10, 2004 2:24pm

too hot! way too hot. In the north land as we spreak, tons of festivals.

koz
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
White Elephant- Being that I live in Toronto, I have to disagree. People jaywalk all the time. Right in front of cops even! But I see what you are trying to say.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Very interesting thread, starts about being crude and takes a life all it's own

I don't get the beggar thing (except for maybe one in this thread)
Danny Hustle makes a good point about perception of passers by .....
For me, I'm very lucky being a guy having a great time and sharing that
If my new friends want to share a little of their folding green in appreciation, excellent
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
GP,

If you are such a big deal in the busker circles in Canada you should know that $1000 per day is an average wage for an average busker on a weekend or during an event. Seeing that there are events every day all over the country many buskers make well into the six figures per year. I know one fellow who works six month out of the year, drives a Porsche, owns a home, and spends a couple of months during the winter working 5 star cruise ships. He makes $1,200 per week doing that gig, stays in a passenger cabin, and has access to all passenger privileges. He does one 45 minute show per week.

In 1987 or 89 Gazzo set an earnings record for a buskers event in Canada by make $18,000 in one week. (This was documented at the time and is still talked about) He made 18 grand with two card tricks, a silk vanish, and the cups and balls. Of course, it was Canadian money. Smile

If you develop a show that can pay on the street it will entertain in any venue anywhere in the world, from a Vegas showroom to a 5 star ocean liner.

We are not talking about guys who pitch wonder mice and Svengali decks at a flea market. A busker is an entertainer, not a beggar. A beggar gives you nothing for your money while a busker if he is any good will give you much more entertainment than you will pay for.

Let’s face it. Busking is the most honest form of entertainment there is. I don’t ask you to pay until after the show and if you think it stinks you can walk away anytime you like.

The same can not be said for most other forms of entertainment. I paid almost fifty bucks last year to see “The Incredible Hulk” at the movies. Not only was it a waste of money but it stole 2 hours of my life that I will never see again.

Shame on that film company, dropped from a great height! Entertainment indeed! Smile

Best,

Dan-

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I had always thought of promoters as being parasites using the guise of symbiosis. Checking the definition I see that some promoters do no harm at all.

Symbiosis:
Mutualism -- both species benefit
Commensalism -- one species benefits, the other is unaffected
Parasitism -- one species benefits, the other is harmed
Competition -- neither species benefits
Neutralism -- both species are unaffected

Promoters are therefore no more harmful than buskers?

Regardless, like Bro David, I see far more people offended when dropping the 'J' bomb, than offhanded remarks. But what do I know? I don't have much time on the bricks at all.

Good discussion. I don't mind 'edge' humor myself, but not around kids.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Are all street buskers crude and rude? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL