The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What card move are you practicing right now? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
199 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
I wish the camera hadn't gone wide at the moment of the turnover! He used a combination of angle and off-beat/ misdirection and did it so casually, as Rachmaninov said earlier, it meant that it flew by. Perfect and a great example of how it should be done.
I'm talking about the one at 2.18.

Hey Shaun we are both practicing a lot of the same thing right now. I'm doing the Marlo one handed bottom though, not second. I with you on the Hamman,pinky, bottom and second.. Oh and the classic and turnover passes. Maybe we are at similar stages. Or maybe you're way ahead of me!
Paul
And ... I don't even know what I'm talking about.
But I've practiced magic for two years.
Smile
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
I’ve been working on the Leipzig Pass (substitute). It’ Been hard to get consistency.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
788 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Michael Vincent did a variation of the turnover pass, one with the intent to put the deck down on the table, or in this case, on the spectator’s hand. It’s not a full turnover pass. Anyway, it’s awesomely done. And the angle advice from Shaun is a very good one. But this line of vision is sometimes hard to handle because of the spatial disposition of spectators sitting at different levels.

What a delight to see the card magic of M.Vincent. He is now amongst the great masters of our art. Congratulations to him for such an accomplishment. I was wondering if a lot of people are working on that type of material. In fact, I have no real life contact with other magicians, so I have no idea what the typical average magician guy is doing.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2019, HeronsHorse wrote:
Thank you for that Shaun. Have I got this right, do you mean the back end of the deck is lifted from horizontal by about 30 degrees, yes?

That's what I meant; it's one way to provide some cover.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Quote:
Hey Shaun we are both practicing a lot of the same thing right now. I'm doing the Marlo one handed bottom though, not second. I [am] with you on the Hamman, pinky, bottom and second.. Oh and the classic and turnover passes. Maybe we are at similar stages. Or maybe you're way ahead of me! Paul

It might be a mix of being both ahead and behind you simultaneously.

For the Hamman count I highly recommend Darwin Ortiz's Scams and Fantasies. He provides much needed insight on proper technique.

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

HeronsHorse
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
199 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Ahaa! I just watched your 29 minute show. You're definitely ahead. You looked very comfortable there. Nice work!
I like how you used the idea of showing how effects are done, to actually do other ones! Nice idea.
Smile

Paul
And ... I don't even know what I'm talking about.
But I've practiced magic for two years.
Smile
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1547 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Trying to eliminate all moves, if it must one particular move will only use ONCE in any routine, my goal is to find routines that use as less sleight of hand as possible.

No sleight involved is the best
One sleight / move is excellent
Two sleight / moves are good
Three ... fair
Four ... neutral
Five ... below average
Six ... try to avoid
Seven ... gladly pass
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

http://rubiksdream.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Quote:
Ahaa! I just watched your 29 minute show. You're definitely ahead. You looked very comfortable there. Nice work!
I like how you used the idea of showing how effects are done, to actually do other ones! Nice idea.
Smile

Paul

Thank you. I'm glad that you liked parts of it. I do magic for myself, but it's also nice when there is a side-effect of audience enjoyment.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What card move are you practicing right now? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL