The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Trying to get New shows (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
What do you all think. Send out flyers, use messages, text's, calls? What do you think is best?
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
It really depends on who it is that you want to get new shows from. What types of shows do you do? Who is your ideal customer?
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I agree with Carducci. There are so many variables that it’s hard to give blanket suggestions. There are so many things that also factor into successful strategies. For example, having the best contact name(s), timing of reaching out relative to the clients entertainment needs, quality of pitch or flyer (which one you are most proficient at).
I will say that for some of the markets I recently approached (libraries, schools, and festivals) I found using multiple approaches was necessary. I arranged appointments for the highest priority opportunities, dropped in on those nearby, blanket emailed and followed up many of those with a hard copy flyer.
I find it very beneficial to continue to hard mail due to the percentage of people who do not open emails. I have found both independently to be effective and more effective when used in progression.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2019, charliecheckers wrote:
I agree with Carducci. There are so many variables that it’s hard to give blanket suggestions. There are so many things that also factor into successful strategies. For example, having the best contact name(s), timing of reaching out relative to the clients entertainment needs, quality of pitch or flyer (which one you are most proficient at).

I absolutely agree which is why I often say that almost every magic "marketing" course really only offers general or blanket methods. Even if it appears for a specific type of performance area - closeup, restaurants, comedy clubs, trade shows, schools, festivals, and so on.

Business operations (not just marketing, that comes later) really need to be specific to your own performance markets, geographical markets and then the types of venues you wish to target within those. This is why I have always felt what performers need is the education on entertainment business first, which is then directed to their specific markets, situation and other variables.

One size fits all does not work. Neither does the "for all occasions" performer and business model. I think this is the real reason some are more successful than others. Having the foundational knowledge from the industry itself (not fellow performers who are still struggling and trying to figure it out themselves) then applying it to their own business model, markets, and specifics will not only yield greater results and return but prevent you from spending and wasting more time and money than needed.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Texting- I personally never would text a potential client as a marketing communication unless I had an established relationship and their permission/request to text them the content. I think texting is great for increased presence for outreach such as a Holiday Greating or personal congratulatory note.

I agree with Mindpro, that the communication method and strategy should be in support of the specific business model.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Plus just like there are consumer and professional markets, there are social communications and professional communications. Now I get that most performers operate form their own personal views and preferences, but again, text communication and marketing is uninviting to many and I would never cross that line, unless as Charlie said, with permission only after an established relationship.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Love hearing the ideas here thanks everyone. I hope the people here on the Café are paying attention.
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
I agree with all that's been said about matching your marketing and message to your particular market and type of entertainment you deliver.

But - if I had to book a show "this week,' I'd get on the phone, now.

There's attraction marketing, direct response - and then there's, let's just go get the business right now. That's what I'd do. Of course, that might be "desperation mode" - but again, depends on the market. I don't see anything wrong in the corporate world with getting on the phone and trying to set something up. Assuming of course, you have something unique and ready to go.

Oscar
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Man, I couldn't agree more. Always has been and is still the most direct way to get bookings if absolutely needed. Dialing for dollars as we called it in my office. If we weren't producing or falling short of our monthly goals, it was always known to pick up the phone. We could literally make thousands of dollars in a single day or in a few short days.

I always laugh when guys spend so much time, effort and money on technology and "hands-off" and "auto-pilot" online strategies yet often still complain their schedule is not very full. The two long-lasting, time-tested strategies that have never gone out of style is 1. Word of mouth, and 2. Pick up the phone
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
AS far as dialing for dollars go, I shared my EXACT process a few years back. This is mainly for smaller corporate gigs (my go-to market at the time) but if this is the market you want to get new shows in, this process has WORKED for me.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......450359#2
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Michael,

Could we possibly reverse engineer your problem?

I looked at your website and noticed that you have won all these magic awards and worked tons of shows over the years.

Given that, what do YOU think might be the problem as to why more/new shows are NOT coming in?

Also, what type of new shows are your trying to get (close-up,stage, etc.)?

What is working for you? What isn't working for you?

Gerry
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
RE: AS far as dialing for dollars go, I shared my EXACT process a few years back.

@Carducci: That post was so good, I remember commenting on it all those years ago!

Oscar
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Gerry Walkowski, I am booked all the time. I was putting the question out there because some are scared to ask so that they can learn. I also love reading and learning how other professionals booked themselves. Again there is no problem with my shows being just trying to learn. I work doing my Magic almost every day. Its the only job I have ever had. Thanks
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well you have to decide what types of shows you want to work. That sounds dumb, but it isn't.

I NEVER go after one night performances. I think it is just not the way I want to work. I would MUCH rather put my effort into having long term shows than one night gigs.

How would one go about getting one night gigs? Well there is a lot of ways. But what works is first identifying the type of show you wish to perform. Who is that target audience? Once you have that target audience, it is about access. How do you get access to these people holding these events that you wish to perform at? Having an access point is always the key.

Every type of show has a different access point. So you need to identify that access point no matter WHAT type of show you want to perform. Some have conventions, some are booked better through having a restaurant to work, some dialing for dollars work, some need an agent and on and on.

Once you have your access point you can then focus your efforts better.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think many of us that came up in comedy clubs, school tours, amusement parks, and other markets that are based on runs, multi-day and multi-performance events, and residencies tend to look at things/bookings differently than the guys/girls that approach single events.

Along with this is the understanding of the different types, levels, and markets of gigs available. All of this plays strongly into how we each market, operate and execute our business, and of course our business models.

All of this is why we often hear someone buying a magic marketing book or course only to find it's not for them or working for their business.

I too have always enjoyed hearing others approaches, theories, setbacks and successes in their operations.

I agree at the very foundational level you have to first decide the types of shows you want to work. That will usually dictate how you should proceed and what will and won't work for you.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Sounds great everyone. I learn more and more every day. When I take the time too. Thanks fellows!
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Yes- I think the key thing is to learn and grow. With each method the key is to know what the success rate is of the communication being received, responded to and booked. Then you can work to address deficiencies and strategic approaches.
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
544 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well you have to decide what types of shows you want to work. That sounds dumb, but it isn't.

I NEVER go after one night performances. I think it is just not the way I want to work. I would MUCH rather put my effort into having long term shows than one night gigs.

How would one go about getting one night gigs? Well there is a lot of ways. But what works is first identifying the type of show you wish to perform. Who is that target audience? Once you have that target audience, it is about access. How do you get access to these people holding these events that you wish to perform at? Having an access point is always the key.

Every type of show has a different access point. So you need to identify that access point no matter WHAT type of show you want to perform. Some have conventions, some are booked better through having a restaurant to work, some dialing for dollars work, some need an agent and on and on.

Once you have your access point you can then focus your efforts better.

I’ll put myself out there by saying, this seems to be the cycle I’m in. I get bookings semi-regularly and have a handful of recurring clients. But, the reality is

1) I hate my 9-5. And I mean I HATE IT, like I’m dying a little inside everyday I go.

2) I’m open to working a restaurant/wine bar or a hotel. I’ve been working on a business plan, my elevator pitch for each scenario as well as various strategy models for execution this year to be successful and escape this cage of a 9-5 I seem to be stuck in.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Good Luck man
Wx4usa
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
I don't do paid magic shows any more, but I do this in my regular business every day and it just pain works. Just my thoughts. Magicians, corporate, birthdays etc.

What works in my regular business helps me compete in my medium market against national players spending 30-40 times what I spend.
1. Get a good website. So many magicians have horrible websites. Do your own at GoDaddy GoCentral if you want. It super easy, even has calendars.
2. Regular SEO will not work locally.
3. Use google Adwords. NOT Adwords express. Did I say NOT Adwords express. Radius targeting and keyword specific. Use a spy tool to see similar competition's keywords.
4. Get to 50-100 5STAR google reviews FAST. Then Organic FREE search will take over.
5. Work the gold mine that is planned proactive and intentional referrals.
6. FORECAST to your clients that you WILL BE asking for referrals and reviews when you turn them into a raving fan after the show/gig etc.
7. Im sure facebook etc works, but google PPC is your HVT High Value Target until your organic FREE search takes over.
8. Also you MUST do Google My Business its free and most magicians Ive looked up don't do it! Gotta have it to do the reviews. If you don't want to have your home address that's fine, get a UPS Store address.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Trying to get New shows (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL