The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Poker or Bridge ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jason0389
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of jason0389
I use poker just because I prefer to, and because a lot of gaffs now adays come in poker size. Although I do have small hands which do present a problem, I still prefer to use them.
Lotus
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Lotus
Poker size for me
I would rather not have to order Bridge size over the internet
... yeah ... um ...
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
The bridge decks just feel funny in my hands... like I'm going to crush them or something. I'm a poker loyalist.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Jake Boone
View Profile
New user
Cottage Grove, OR
78 Posts

Profile of Jake Boone
As something of a newbie, I'd just like to mention that until I got into magic, I'd never actually *noticed* the difference between bridge- and poker-sized cards. I owned both, and used both for card games, and never once noted that there was a difference in size.

The moral here is that I don't notice stuff. No, wait. The moral is that worrying about what your audience is "used to" may not be worth the sweat. If they're anything like me, they won't know or care what size cards you use (unless you use the jumbo stage cards; even *I'd* notice that).

-- Jake
"Trust everyone... but cut the cards."
Thinker
View Profile
New user
Brazil
32 Posts

Profile of Thinker
I use poker size, but I have small hands, and it really brings me a lot of problems, but I'll always find a way to make it(or not, hehee). Maybe I should change for bridge size.
superhiro
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of superhiro
I use poker size and it's all about getting used to the cards as everyone says. If you can't do it one way then you have to find your own way to do a sleight. Once you master poker size, bridge would be easy.

Hiro
GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
You can find any variation of any kind of card here
http://www.kardwell.com/products.htm
Magic Mark

"How'd you do that?" ... "Very carefully."
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Here's a quote from legendary magic dealer Al Cohen in the current issue of Genii:

"...in those days [the 1950's], most magicians used Fox Lake bridge cards ..."

There were some fairly reputable card handlers around in "those days", I believe ...
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Deal with what you're comfortable in.

I prefer Poker sized Hoyle cards. Smile
Majestic_Moose
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Majestic_Moose
A long time ago, I didn't know that there were different sizes of cards. One time I picked up a deck of bridge sized cards, not knowing the change in size. I practiced with them for a long time, and lost them and found my other deck *previously lost* of poker-sized bikes. I was like, "Whoa!" and everything felt so unnatural. It was like drinking diet Coca-Cola for a year and then switching over to regular Coke.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
GypsyPirate makes a good point.

Most gaffs are Bike Pokers.

I practice with poker mostly but have resorted to occasionally practicing with bridge. I've borrowed decks that turned out to be bridge size and felt kind of funny in hand.

While bridge size fit my palm better I go with poker size and depend on a bit of misdirection.
Ryan 101
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
164 Posts

Profile of Ryan 101
I started card magic using poker decks. Someone told me to try the Bridge deck. Even though it fit my hand I still feel better using the Poker deck. I think the one you used more you'll feel more comfortable using.

Ryan
bobby
View Profile
New user
Camarillo, CA
72 Posts

Profile of bobby
Bridge cards would be much easier for me, but I'm big on consitancy, and since all my packet tricks are poker sized, that's what I'm stickin' with...

That and for some reason I can't find any bridge sized bicycle cards in my area now...
jwebyra
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
140 Posts

Profile of jwebyra
I perfer Poker size. Poker size are the most comman here in the states plus if you happen to borrow cards they are usually Poker sized.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I started w/Bridge size cards mainly because that was the deck I had at the time. While p***ing and such was much easier I have since moved on to Poker size. This is because all specs. are most familier w/poker sized cards. I did take some time to get used to the difference in size.
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Dragon
View Profile
New user
The Dark Shadows.
90 Posts

Profile of The Dragon
I have poker more managable than bridge, although bridge is smaller. Don't know why, but I guess its the feel that's important. It really depends on individual needs really...
Don't think too much.

Just hit it.
poiboy28056
View Profile
New user
N. Carolina
13 Posts

Profile of poiboy28056
I have small hands and bridge cards feel more comfertable to me but that's just me. Though gaffs are more avalible in poker size I don't use any thing but a straight deck so this is not a problem for me.
I can use a poker deck just as good as a bridge size deck if I have to but they feel like there going to swllow my hands so I just stick to what I'm used to most of the time.
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
I stick to poker sized bikes - mainly red but sometimes blue , its all because gimmicks are now maily made for poker sized decks
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Andrus, Nash and Fechter use bridge. It doesn't matter to the spectator. it only matters to other magicians.
Joel Bauer uses poker with jumbo index.
The cheapest price for standard bikes is Costco.

Use what you feel best with and forget what any other magician says. It is ONLY the effect YOUR magic has on YOUR audience that counts.
You have to give it away to keep it.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Poker or Bridge ?

Your handsize makes the decission..and the availability of the fakecards you probably want to use..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Poker or Bridge ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL