The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Demuth Saltrix salt shaker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docguitarman
View Profile
Elite user
Thousand Oaks, California
416 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Reading through Lane and Grant's "They're Off" there is an effect that says to use DeMuth's "Saltrix." It is a salt shaker that can be used to secretly produce some object(s). Anyone know were I can find a detailed description of the salt shaker? The Lane and Grant pamphlet mentions the main feature but no details, as it assumes you can go out and buy one -- maybe in 1935!

Oh, here is the description:
"A magician seated at a table shows his left hand empty, mentions that he likes salted peanuts, but that they never have quite enough salt on them, so he picks up the salt cellar, closes his left fist, shakes some salt in the fist, opens his hand, and there are a lot of salted peanuts. He puts a little more salt on them and starts to eat them. If he isn't a hog he will pass some to the company."
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5273 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
It is a neat little item and for sale up to the 60s (when I got mine). I haven't seen one for sale even on the vintage magic sites in years.

I've sent you a PM.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21638 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I reckon you are not wanting to purchase the prop, as I see you like to make things yourself. We can't address magic secrets on the open forums.

I did a little searching and you might find some info if you go to the Learned Pig Project and look up Demuth Saltrix.

Here is a picture of the Al Baker Salt Shaker, from the early days as well. I know it is not the Demuth, but again similar.

https://www.ktmagic.com/Auction/APViewItem.asp?ID=661

I can only suggest you take a look at Vernet Ethereal Salt Shaker, not exactly the same as the simpler Demuth from 1935, but similar.

http://www.vernetmagic.com/producto/ethereal-salt/

Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
docguitarman
View Profile
Elite user
Thousand Oaks, California
416 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Thanks, Bill, for the info. The ethereal salt shaker is on my to-buy list. I would possibly buy the Saltrix if it were still available.

But yes I like to make things too!

Couldn't find any info on Saltrix on TLPP (lybrary.com site).
indomagic
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I used to have a gimmick salt shaker which use to produce a silk. Maybe this similar method to Saltrix.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Demuth Saltrix salt shaker (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL