The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Avalanche by Paul Harris (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7512 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2019, IAIN wrote:
I thought you didn't use playing cards?!

Of course it's a pretty. Much regular card box. It's been tweaked a little but it's a genuine card box.

Who DOESN'T use playing cards? LoL. Thanks Iain! Just the information I was looking for Smile

Er... You. Smile
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3849 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Of course it's a pretty. Much regular card box. It's been tweaked a little but it's a genuine card box.

Who DOESN'T use playing cards? LoL. Thanks Iain! Just the information I was looking for Smile

Er... You. Smile

LoL.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18244 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Er... You. Smile

I've always used cards... Dunno why you think that...
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Special user
If only I didn't have a wife and kid I would have MUCH more than
974 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:

You post in Inner Thoughts. Once you are spotted down there nobody believes you have two functioning hands.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3849 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:

You post in Inner Thoughts. Once you are spotted down there nobody believes you have two functioning hands.

It's all mental power and true PK. LoL.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7512 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Er... You. Smile

No, not you. It was aimed at Kiss dads n cookies or whatever his name is.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3849 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Er... You. Smile

No, not you. It was aimed at Kiss dads n cookies or whatever his name is.

I mean, if you needed to check the spelling on my user name... it's literally RIGHT THERE pegasus, sheesh. LoL.
JasonL2112
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JasonL2112
I snagged this and to be honest, its quite brilliant. Sure there are plenty of ways to force a card, and frankly I very likely won't perform the Blizzard routine with this, but I can see many uses and it is very cleverly designed.

While there are many forces, they certainly don't typically allow the same true freedom of choice that this gets you.

It would easily pass a basic examination, I wouldn't hesitate at all to leave it on the table or hand it over if asked. The only reason I can think of anyone wanting to look at it would be to look inside of it if you did something where their selected card disappeared. Absolutely nothing to find in there...

It would take a little care, but as said earlier, this can certainly be remade if worn or if a different box is preferred. Additional force cards could be made with relatively little skill or supplies needed.

This would be the absolutely perfect start to something like Ramsey's Red Pill.... Actually, I'll very likely do just that. Perfect super clean force, freely put the selected card back in the deck. And the really nice part is that you handled their selected card just long enough (for those who believe in the whole "too perfect" concept) to really leave them scratching their head is to how that series of events occurred and leaving them with the impossible souvenir if they choose not to open the "reveal" deck.

Other than needing to be little careful to avoid wear, there's no reason this could be your standard card box so its not anything additional to "carry" at all. Outside of its devious capability, its a perfectly normal card box.

I'll absolutely be using this.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4663 Posts

Profile of RNK
Got my copy the other day and performed it yesterday. I just did the Basic Blizzard effect and the reactions were really good! They even examined the box and found nothing! I definitely will be using this. I used this in the context of first divining the girls "selected" card and then went into the "what if everything you all just saw was an illusion and the card you though you saw was actually not there, it was just a card that you were very familiar with?". Her card was the Queen of Diamonds so this presentation fit because all woman usually pick and like the Queen and most woman can relate to Diamonds, lol....

A very nice product!

RNK
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
RNK,
Rhank you for your post and real life review.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4663 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2019, magicinsight wrote:
RNK,
Rhank you for your post and real life review.
Michael

Most welcome Michael! I think this is a winner!
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1074 Posts

Profile of taller8
I have this too. I like it. The effects are strong and the compromises are small.

This one deserves more attention, but its in the shadows of another hyped effect.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4187 Posts

Profile of videoman
As much as I want to like this I just can’t get past the odd way of handling and then flashing the spec their card.
I keep slapping myself and trying to convince myself that that is just magicians’ thinking but it still bugs me.
I’m having a hard time believing that my specs won’t find this unusual handling suspicious.
JasonL2112
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JasonL2112
To each their own obviously but a few things for what they're worth.
First, I've done this a couple of times now, and if they are holding the rest of the deck it actually feels fairly natural (case in my hand, deck in theirs). I put it on the case while talking, then display when it's time. I don't say it, but it comes off as an "I don't wan't to see it" type of thing.

Nobody has questioned a thing or given odd looks, etc... Its really just so clean.

Also, I don't remember how much is shown in the trailer, but a VERY generous amount of the card can be shown, it's not just like the top 1/4 of it.

Honestly, I have absolutely no reservations using this...

Quote:
On Jun 12, 2019, videoman wrote:
As much as I want to like this I just can’t get past the odd way of handling and then flashing the spec their card.
I keep slapping myself and trying to convince myself that that is just magicians’ thinking but it still bugs me.
I’m having a hard time believing that my specs won’t find this unusual handling suspicious.
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
I don’t normally get involved in people’s various
Taste in magic..but compelled to say that Avalanche..
Both the blank deck effect and the card force/vanish etc
Are both extremely powerful (not to mention almost
Self working). We had these lives audience tested
For literally hundreds performances by three pros
And not a whisper of any problems. These three pros
Now use Avalanche as part of their regular set.

Have to say that we never imagined that some would think it
Odd to place a card on the box to display. Again..hundreds of live
performances and nothing but astonished reactions (as seen in the demo).

To help put this in perspective: let’s say you have a wallet in one hand and pulled out
A bill. But then you want to grab a bottle of water with the bill hand..what would you do?
You place the bill on the wallet to free up your hand to grab the water. And if you then wanted
To show your friend something on the other side of the bill..you’d tilt up the wallet to show the bill.

Same simple logic applies to naturally placing a card on the box. The box is already in your hand because you just pulled
Out the deck or a card. Your other hand holds the card. But now you want to move something on the table...like adjust the deck..

But you can’t..because your hand holds a card. What can you do? Might it not be appropriate and natural to
to free up your hand by placing the card on the case..allowing your now empty hand to adjust the deck.

And if you now want to display the other side of the card..the single most efficient action you could take
would be to tilt up the case to show the face of the card.

So we’re dealing with how normal everyday humans function when they are handling normal objects.

I’ve seen this happen with a few of Paul’s other effects when they were first released. Both
Twighlight Angels and the ph vanishing deck were completely ignored/misunderstood for ten or twenty years
And then suddenly people woke up and realized how beautiful they were. Many just couldn’t conceive of how such
A simple basic idea could be so powerful. So for what it’s worth..I think Avalanche May be in this same
Boat..But why wait ten or twenty years to find out?

Ok. Thanks for letting me vent.

Joy to all

janet (for PHP)
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1071 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
I’ve seen this performed a few times by members of our club and by a dealer at a convention and on all occasions if I wasn’t directly in front of the performer you could see the gimmick from the side
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18244 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Been road testing this since I got it at launch...been surprisingly good and easy to use...
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1074 Posts

Profile of taller8
There are many more awkward moves in magic then placing a freely selected card on a box then letting them peek at it.

Like almost all forces. 😊

We’re ok with riffling down the side of a deck and asking them to stop. Why don't we analyze the logic in that move.
Here, select a card while I manhandle the deck. No suspicious moves there.

Avalanche avoids most contrived forces with the trade off of putting the card on the box to possible free up a hand, or maybe not wanting to put the card down on a wet or dirty table. Etc.

I think Janet is spot on, people are missing the boat on this one.

I don't like new stuff very often, but I do like this one.
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Card biker ..

Angles?

Just hold box close to chest plus correct hand positioning. It’s all on the tutorial

J
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I don’t see anything wrong with this force but I do agree you have to be a bit ( only a tiny bit ) careful with your angles .
I also see nothing wrong with a good slip cut force or most forces done well to a spectator either .
The riffle down the edge gives a random feel so to them neither they or you know where they are going to stop .
If you just say take a card 9 times out of 10 they will take an easy card somewhere in the middle hence the classic force type scenario .
One could argue they could think afterwards I bet everyone takes one from the centre area .
The random nature of a riffle slip cut force to them is like putting your hand in a box and pulling out a raffle ticket imo .
As magicians we often way over think things imo and search for perfection that rarely exists .
Not many spectators think like us and if they do they are probably magicians striving for the golden goose egg that doesn’t exist .
Great magic to all Gaz 🙂
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Avalanche by Paul Harris (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL