The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Buying a thumb tip (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicwiia
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
I am new to magic although I've played around with some cards decks and a thumb tip on occasion. I'm looking to get a thumb tip to replace one I had for many years. It was hard plastic, round, and worked well.

The only local shop in my area is tiny and had two choices. One was way too large and the other way too small. I have no idea what size they were as they were not in a package and the person helping me had no idea. Not the best place so I've decided to go online and buy a few.

I'd say my hands are ever so slightly smaller than medium in length and medium in width. Two questions:

1) What centimeter size should I order?

2) Round or oval/elliptical?
ValeCavaliero
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ValeCavaliero
My 2 cents is to go to conferences, gatherings and magic events. Not only will you find the ideal devices at a much lower price, but you can make important friends and grow in magic
will lane
View Profile
Loyal user
Will likes to post so he has made
229 Posts

Profile of will lane
I think our hands might be about the same size. I'll tell you about some of the TT's I own, and the one I've ended up on, and you can decide for yourself which one you may want to try. For silk vanishes, I use 12" diamonds so I need a bit larger load capacity than some users.

The Vernets are the industry standard. I have a Classic (hard) which has a nice fit but has a small load. The Medium (soft) has a nice fit and also has a bigger load than the Classic. The Junior/Teen is really small and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone but someone who has small hands and is okay with a small load. I also have a hard plastic TT from Di Fatta. It is wide but has a small load capacity, I wouldn't really recommend it. The HD Thumb Tip from Alan Wong has a great fit and a load capacity, and made of nice hard material.

A while back I ordered a bunch of random TT's from the far east ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S......F8&psc=1 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E7OAAPA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077......F8&psc=1 )

And ONE of them is the TT I currently use. I'm not sure exactly which. The one I use is based on the HD TT model, but it has a more "realistic" color for my skin and is made of soft material. I think it is the SODIAL or TOOGOO one, but I'm not sure. They are all dirt cheap. I received them all and to be honest, they are all usable. The looks don't matter if you perform with a TT well, but I like the extra boost of confidence. I'm kind of pale so YMMV.

Ordering a bunch of TT's and testing them out wouldn't be a bad idea. Most TT's are a few dollars, if that, and if you buy from the same site you save on shipping. Anyway, I'd recommend: Vernet Medium (Soft), HD TT by Alan Wong, and whatever TT it is from that list of 3. Smile
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Signet
I have a Vernet. It works very well, as long as you keep your hands moving while it's in view. When you relax your hands in the natural way. The gimmick is hidden. The size difference is for a bigger load. Nobody will notice the discrepancy. You don't think you can get away with it, but you can, as long as they don't know what to look for. You need to just try it and you will gain confidence. That is the key.
Wx4usa
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Vernet is the best in my opinion. I have tried dozens of TTs. Vernet offers a set that has 7 sizes that you can purchase online that is quite affordable. Penguin has them for under $20 shipped. I am sure others have it as well. The set includes my two favorites the classic and the king size. The diameter is the same on these two, just the load size is bigger on the king size. The set include 5 more...junior, finger tip, little tip, medium(soft) and XXL. The medium(soft) would be my 3rd favorite but I don't use it every day. I always carry 2 Classic's and a King Size with me just about all the time.
tbsmith918
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, Virginia
28 Posts

Profile of tbsmith918
This thread has been very helpful. Any opinions on the Vernet magnetic TT? The effect I have in mind doesn't lend itself well to using a ring...which I would prefer...pretty much has to be a TT. Anyone familiar with it?
Tom
Wx4usa
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
I have one and I like it very much. It is basically a vernet classic with a very strong mag in it. Perfect for mini chop cup routine I do with those little mini solo cups from the grocery store. There are lots of things you could use it for!
tbsmith918
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, Virginia
28 Posts

Profile of tbsmith918
Thanks...I will be picking one out soon. Even though I have that one effect in mind, I'm already thinking of other things I can do with it...including your impromptu chop cup idea. What great little utility device.
Tom
magicianbrady
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
I order few latex ones from China and then use the one which fits best. They're dirt cheap
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3585 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I agree with Vale - it's hard to buy the perfect thumb tip on line. Your really need to "try before you buy". If you have a thumb tip, and want a magnetic one, just go to Home Depot. They have small magnets perfect for this. Drop in in the TT and squirt in some glue - the next day you're in business.
magicwiia
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
I don't disagree but in my case there is no magic shop within a reasonable driving distance. Moreover, for the cost of driving an unreasonable distance, I could probably buy dozens of thumb tips of varying sizes online without wasting a minute of time.

There is only one option for me and that is an online purchase.
Magical Moments
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
I have a few spare thumb tips which I consider to be excellent size and made of a vinyl type material similar to the Vernet thumb tip. When I reach 50 posts, I will offer these at a very reasonable price. Please stand by and feel free to PM me if you are interested in getting any of them. Thanks all!
Jed Maxwell
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2019, will lane wrote:
The Vernets are the industry standard. I have a Classic (hard) which has a nice fit but has a small load. The Medium (soft) has a nice fit and also has a bigger load than the Classic.

I never knew that. I am looking at my Vernet Medium thinking I may have bought the wrong size. I cut it down to make a Sharpie NW and notice quite a distance from the tip of my thumb to the tip of the plastic thumb. Maybe the Classic would have been a better choice. Well that's the great thing about TT.. if you get it wrong, they only cost $3!
"You're a mentalist!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Buying a thumb tip (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL