The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Suitability Shuffled! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
182 Posts

Profile of glowball
Yelnif Suitability Shuffled.

Surely someone has done this but in case not here goes:

My "Suitability Shuffled" deck/trick below is the same as a 4 card "Suitability" however this special stack and method described below allows a spectator to do a riffle shuffle one time BEFORE the four cards are selected!

This special deck is physically constructed as follows: 2 Spade cards, 2 Heart cards, 2 other Spade cards, 2 other Heart cards then repeat those same 8 cards two more times giving a 24 card top half. The bottom 24 cards is similarly constructed using Diamonds and Clubs.

Below is the actual cards I am using:
Below are the top eight cards (memorize them or print them as the top half cheat sheet):

8s Ks 3h 10h 2s 7s 9h 5h wraps to 8s

Then repeat the above 8 cards two more times making the top 24 cards.

Below 8 cards are in position 25 through 32 (memorize them or print them as the bottom half cheat sheet):

Qd 4d Ac 6c Jd 9d 2c 5c wraps to Qd

Then repeat the above 8 cards two more times making the bottom 24 cards.
Now you have a 48 card deck ready for them to riffle shuffle (after you split the deck exactly in half).

After the lead spectator riffle shuffles the deck the magician takes the deck and does a quick spread of the deck face up showing that they are well mixed (must be done quickly and calmly so they don't see the duplicate cards) and then turns the deck face down and gives it back to the lead spectator and has him cut the deck a few times and then deal 4 or 5 cards in a row face down for he and the other spectators to peek at.

After the spectators tell their suits the magician must do an equivoque for the Spades-Hearts group and then do an equivoque for the Diamonds-Clubs group. Example: "I'm getting an 8 and 2, your card isn't the 8 of spades is it?" If they say "No" then you say "I thought it wasn't, it is the 2 of Spades". So you look good regardless of whether they answer "yes" or "no".

Note that you will have nailed the second card and third card (if any) and fourth card (if any) in the "group" (you do NOT equivoque them).

It is possible that the 4 cards selected may contain only one card from bottom group (diamonds clubs) or only one from top group (spades hearts), but either way you nail the other three cards and look pretty good. For the one card situation you know it is one of the 4 cards for that suit so you can just do two equivoques on those 4 cards to nail it.

To make the one card situation less likely I prefer to have 5 cards taken instead of just 4. With 5 cards you are much more likely for them to have shuffled in such a way that their 5 selected cards will have at least 2 cards from the Spades-Hearts group and at least 2 cards from the Diamonds-Clubs group.

Note: I cannibalized some Eight Kings stuff for my cards and added Dolly to the end (9 2 5) to get second (bottom) 8 cards, but you can use any card values you want as long as you do the suits according to the above instructions.
More to come on this, I'm sleepy, bye for now.

glowball yelnif
glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
182 Posts

Profile of glowball
After they have riffle shuffled and after I have spread the deck face up and returned the deck face down to the lead spectator: in order to rule out a marked deck I like to turn my back to the four or five spectators on stage but face the audience so everyone knows that I cannot see the physical cards.

I also like to use a small clipboard with a few 4 by 6 inch blank notecards and a pen or pencil to write with.

On the bottom edge of the bottom notecard I have pre-written the top 8 cheat sheet abbreviated card names and the bottom 8 cheat sheet abbreviated card names so during the performance I can slide this notecard down a little and see my sequences:

I openly take notes on the top notecard saying "this is difficult to get these images" in actuality the first thing I do is write the suit down of the four or five cards as they tell the suit.

Example: let's suppose that four cards are taken and that the suits they name are Spades, Clubs, Diamonds Spades.

Therefore I write: S C D S
on the top note card so that I will not forget what they said. I see that the Spades-Hearts group has the first and 4th card selected (the S and S) therefore referring to the top group cheat sheet info:
and based on "S S" I see that the first card must be either the eight of spades or the two of spades so I do an equivoque on it and determined it is the Two of Spades therefore the second S must be the Seven of Spades.

Now for the second and third cards (the Clubs card and the Diamonds card ie: the C and D cards). I look at bottom group cheat sheet info:
and based on "C D" I see that the Clubs card must be either the Six of Clubs or the Five of Clubs.

I equivoque that card and let's say it is the Five of Clubs therefore the next card (the Diamonds card) must be the Queen of Diamonds (remember that the last card of the cheat sheet line wraps to the front of the cheat sheet line).

glowball yelnif
glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
182 Posts

Profile of glowball
Reminder that after the spectator riffle shuffles that the deck will look well mixed and normally there will be 13 to 16 cards all unique in all portions of a spread with all suits represented and no pattern. When I performed this trick for a magic friend this deck withstood his scrutiny (after he shuffled) and he is very knowledgeable about magic, but I did the face up spread not him. Note: NEVER spread the deck face up BEFORE the riffle shuffle (unless you do it very quickly). AFTER the riffle shuffle you CAN let them have a longer look, but not too long.
Devontemagic
View Profile
New user
New York
94 Posts

Profile of Devontemagic
I love this, is there any in-depth work on this
glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
182 Posts

Profile of glowball
Thanks for your post. I created this trick earlier this month so this is the only info on this precise trick. This trick is based somewhat on Larsen and Wright's 1928 booklet trick named "Suitability" but their deck could not be shuffled. I think you can buy their booklet manuscript for about $17 from lybrary.com. The hardest part for me when doing this trick is remembering which person said which suit even though I have their suits written on my notepad. Please let me know any other observations you have on this trick. Thanks.

glowball yelnif
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Suitability Shuffled! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL