We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Neuromancer by William Gibson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
543 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Just received a message from THE MANAGER regarding a new deck of Cyberpunk playing cards on Kickstarter.

This reminded me of a long held dream/wish/aspiration/whatever.

William Gibson is one of my favourite Sci-Fi authors. Why oh Why hasn't there been a movie of "Neuromancer" ?
Use the FORCE Luke.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27087 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Who would the audience be caring about? The burnt-out thief (Case)? Molly mirrorshades? The reconstructed solider kept together by a flimsy backstory and meds?, McCoy Pauley's digital ghost?, Finn? Collapsing some of the story down to a prison-break-out with hired help, Wintermute's perspective, would work with some additional input from Gibson.

Maybe one of his newer works would make the transition, say The Peripheral?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Sadly I think you're right Jonathan, Neuromancer has missed the boat, 1980s would have been perfect imho. I have 'Peripheral' in my bookcase but have not read it yet: Magic is all-consumimg at the moment. Some scenes from Blade Runner were, for me, very Gibson-esque and Ridley Scott would have made a good job of it I think, but that was the time, not now I fear.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27087 Posts

Agreed about the early chapters meeting Molly and Finn. Not sure about the chapters with Dixie or Armitage and then later on with 3Jane in the giant orbiting resort/mansion.

I liked the scenes in Blade Runner where the foggy neon lit noir world filled the screen. You could almost hear William Burroughs describing the place as a late night visit to an old department store just after they put out a fire. Where you can't tell the people from the mannequins, the police from the bargain hunters, and nobody wants to admit the staff party got out of hand.

There's a comic book version of Neromancer (the first half). And there's a more recent story Gibson in comic book form "Archangel". Smile
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
Go to the "Neuromancer" entry on Wikipedia and scroll all the way down to the "film" section at the bottom. There has been a long history of repeated aborted attempts to make a Neuromancer movie, and some talk, as of 2017, of yet another attempt in the works.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Thanks JT I will seek out those comic books asap.
EK sadly that's true, lots of movie 'talk' but never any product.

I think/hope there is still a place for a Gibsonesque movie, but I think you would have to ditch the 'CYBERSPACE' aspect which has now pretty much become reality (the Internet), and replace it with some kind of 'Virtual Reality' world, a La 'Second Life' maybe?
Use the FORCE Luke.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27087 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 10, 2019, art85y wrote:
... Gibsonesque movie, but I think you would have to ditch the 'CYBERSPACE' aspect which has now pretty much become reality (the Internet), and replace it with some kind of 'Virtual Reality' world, a La 'Second Life' maybe?
The virtual afterlife has haunted fiction and become its own genre, especially after Philip K. Dick's story "Ubik" was published. Extrustions from other computational realms into our world have revitalized the ghost story. It from bit indeed. Smile But what if the operating system also uses memory pages and people learn about addressing? Smile Smile !. Does that make void far pascal you_wish() #undefined?

For folks who like to read - before his most recent venture into multiverse drama, Gibson wrote two more trilogies, each in worlds much closer to our own. One trilogy, which takes place just a few years from our everyday world, has a pair of glasses with augmented reality function (google glass???) intended to show prospective real estate clients their property after construction fell into a local joe's hands. That's "Virtual Light". His more recent work is less extreme than the sprawl stories including "Burning Chrome" where an impaired AI composes shadow boxes from found objects and sells art on the black market. A person(a) of interest indeed. Smile Another trilogy of books has a clothes designer who's allergic to brand imagery meet a woman who's making movies one shot at a time and posting small clips on the internet in a newsgroup. In that story a guy who likes to wear bright blue suits takes his business to the next level, cashes out and retires to a small island with a reasonable fortune. Along the way he helps the clothes designer overcome her allergy and brand problems, stops some illegal currency trading and avoids a stock market catastrophe... no spoilers!

What would you think of the steampunk story "The Difference Engine" getting a film treatment? Bruce Sterling's stories look scenery and action packed enough to carry a few celebrity actors through the fiction.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
260 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Instant Ubik has all the fresh flavor of just-brewed drip coffee.

Your husband will say, Christ, Sally, I used to think your coffee was only so-so. But now, wow!

Safe when taken as directed.
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16007 Posts

Profile of tommy
Why hasn't there been a movie of "Necromancer"?

Well, as a fellow once said: “The past is the only dead thing that smells sweet.”
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Neuromancer by William Gibson (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL