The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Source for kid-friendly one-way deck tricks? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Deckstacker
View Profile
New user
Cherry Valley, CA
68 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
After much time spent trying to recall my first memories (ca. age 10) about magic and what first got me believing I might be able to do some tricks, I recalled pulling out all the one-way pip cards from my grandparents' only deck and trying to fool all the adults in the family with a simple "pick-a-card" routine that I was convinced I was the first ever to think of. Today I own several decks with one-way backs ranging from the totally obvious "famous paintings" and landscape types to some much more subtle backs, like the Bicycle Leagues and Phoenix decks, and I'd like to teach my almost-11-year-old grandson how to perform a few "miracles" using them. I have chosen this method of introducing him to the magical arts because I know that I thoroughly comprehended the one-way principle at his age. Could anyone here point me to a book or other source for some card tricks specificallly employing one-way backs? Any advice/links/etc. would be much appreciated. TIA.
One Inch Man
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of One Inch Man
I'm afraid I can't help you with a book or video specifically focused on the concept, but a possible starting point could be Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks.
While not an entire book on the subject, it does at least have a whole chapter dedicated to tricks using the one-way back principle.
And, of course, if your grandson's interest is piqued, the book contains a whole world of other ideas for him to explore too.
Deckstacker
View Profile
New user
Cherry Valley, CA
68 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
One Inch Man, thanks a bunch! It turns out that I already have a copy of Hugard's Encyclopedia, and Chapter IX is indeed a veritable gold mine of effects using a one-way back design--just what I was looking for. At the outset, Hugard even uses the familiar Bicycle League backs to introduce the one-way concept--cool! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I'm certain that I'll be able to adapt some of the material to help my grandson along. (big smile)
will lane
View Profile
Loyal user
Will likes to post so he has made
229 Posts

Profile of will lane
In my thinking, any trick that involves "force, reveal" is doable with a one-way. It's limited only by your imagination. Although I imagine your grandson is going to need multiple one-ways. I think the half mix, half one-way decks would be ideal.
will lane
View Profile
Loyal user
Will likes to post so he has made
229 Posts

Profile of will lane
^OOPS. Misread the post, we're talking about different things. Sorry! Smile
One Inch Man
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of One Inch Man
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2019, Deckstacker wrote:
One Inch Man, thanks a bunch! It turns out that I already have a copy of Hugard's Encyclopedia, and Chapter IX is indeed a veritable gold mine of effects using a one-way back design--just what I was looking for. At the outset, Hugard even uses the familiar Bicycle League backs to introduce the one-way concept--cool! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I'm certain that I'll be able to adapt some of the material to help my grandson along. (big smile)

No problem, glad I could help.
Indeed, League backs are a one-way staple. A word of caution though, I believe the book also mentions a one-way design element inherent in standard Bicycle Rider backs too. While this was the case back in the 1930s when the book was written, the one-way design has long since disappeared from modern Rider backs. I'd hate to think of your grandson staring at the back of a deck, getting frustrated searching for something that is no longer there!

Also, you mentioned your experiments as a child with one-way pip cards in your initial post. Don't forget, Phoenix decks are also completely one-way on the faces, as well as the backs.

Anyway, good luck with it.
One Inch Man
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of One Inch Man
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2019, will lane wrote:
^OOPS. Misread the post, we're talking about different things. Sorry! Smile

Ha! I can see how the post title misled you!

Although, now I can't stop thinking about the pointless exercise of using a one-way design to find the exact card someone freely chose from a one-way deck... or even better, using one way faces!
Deckstacker
View Profile
New user
Cherry Valley, CA
68 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
I recently bought a dozen old-style Enardoe decks for potential use as gifts from the following website https://www.gotapparel.com/p-35722-bridg......doe.aspx thinking that they were marked in the traditional way for rank and suit on the backs--which they were not! However, when I decided to try giving them a simple red Sharpie treatment to at least make them into one-way decks, I was surprised to discover that they already had a one-way system in place that is quite similar in both style and location to that of the Phoenix backs. It does not have quite the same "pop" in terms of visibility as the Phoenix, but I'd say it's about 75% as clear. As I debated whether to try enhancing it a bit with a Sharpie or leave it as-is, I got an idea: Perhaps I should seek my grandson's opinion on the matter--maybe even let him try his hand at designing his own marking system! --Hey, I can dream, can't I? Am I a shameless old wizard looking to snare an innocent youth into a lifelong apprenticeship? --Just watch me! (chuckle)(wink)
One Inch Man
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of One Inch Man
Sounds like a great idea!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4715 Posts

Profile of landmark
For an eleven-year old there's no better trick than The Circus Card Trick ("I bet that the next card I turn over will be your card") found in Royal Road and many other places. Children of that age group love to amuse and outsmart each other with such verbal horseplay.
Deckstacker
View Profile
New user
Cherry Valley, CA
68 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Thanks, landmark! I think my 11-year-old could grasp that trick and use it to good effect--perhaps even on his father. (Not on his mother, though, as she was quite the accomplished little magician when she was just a couple of years older than her boy is now.) It might also be a natural lead-in to the concept of a card force. Gee, the possibilities are limitless once you get going, aren't they? (grin)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Source for kid-friendly one-way deck tricks? (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL