The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mr Golden Balls 2.0 by Ken Dyne (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
cviolette
View Profile
New user
Washington
68 Posts

Profile of cviolette
I received mine today; however, the packaging doesn't say anything about being 2.0 so I'm kind of wondering how I know I have 2.0 vs. 1.0. The colored balls look and feel great; however, the golden ball are rough to the touch and doesn't really feel like they were sealed. Anyone else who has received their set have the same issue?
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2019, cviolette wrote:
I received mine today; however, the packaging doesn't say anything about being 2.0 so I'm kind of wondering how I know I have 2.0 vs. 1.0. The colored balls look and feel great; however, the golden ball are rough to the touch and doesn't really feel like they were sealed. Anyone else who has received their set have the same issue?

Sorry to hear that. That's too bad.
Where did you buy it? Maybe they sent an old version by mistake?
I was about to order mine but now I think I should wait.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I received my Mr. Golden Balls today too. My set's golden ball is also rough to the touch but not across the entire ball. There are patches around the ball that feel rougher than other areas on the ball.

Looks to me like a spray paint issue. Maybe the paint wasn't allowed to fully cure before the gold ball was handled or packaged?

I'm disappointed that the gold ball isn't super smooth like the other colored balls. However, given the issues I read about with version 1.0 of the effect, maybe this is as good as it is going to get?

Since the billiard ball manufacturer couldn't do a good gold ball (thus the need for Ken to paint it), maybe Ken needs to use yellow balls instead and call the trick Mr. Yellow Balls. That's assuming the billiard ball manufacturer can make a nice yellow ball.

Mark
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1556 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I think the saying is 'golden balls' - so yellow [for English audiences] wouldn't make sense

But I think you could use yellow - and call it gold

Is there anything you can use to 'paint' the balls yourself [?]

I'm thnking as I have G.B. v1 and am worried the balls will start to chip
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Hi folks,

The gold ball is a real challenge with this production process due to the factory not being able to use metallic colours like the other balls.

The new paint process we added means the gold paint is much more resilient and robust. That said, I'm still using my original set regardless of some small scratches, because the audience doesn't really see the ball too closely - the routine is about the people.

In terms of Golden Balls 1.0 vs 2.0 - When I originally produced the balls they were all hand painted, and the product came in a gold tube.

When I switched to the new manufacturer we advertised them as 2.0 because the specs of the bag and balls were completely upgraded.

In 100% reality the version that is out now is more like version 3.0 due to the improvement of the gold ball process - but I didn't think of that as a big enough change to call it something different.

The texture of the paint on the gold ball doesn't effect how the ball looks to anyone nor the effect, but it does mean it's more durable due to this additional process.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to drop me an email (I don't check the Café much)
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Magic Mark
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Thanks, Ken. I think the surprising part for me is that some parts of the gold ball are pretty smooth and other parts are rough. The texture isn't consistent.

Mark
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of academy
It seems there are billiard ball manufacturers who have no problem producing golden balls:

http://www.northwestsnooker.co.uk/Aramit......vices-UK
dazmagic
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of dazmagic
I received my set today, and even though the gold ball isn't as slick as the other resin balls, to me it is perfectly acceptable. Mine do not have any rough spots, but if they did (and I was worried about it) I would sand them with a 600 grit sandpaper and respray with gold. Also, for those wondering about various routines, it comes with a downloadable file of 11 routines. In one week I'll be using it when I'm working at a Harry Potter event, finding the golden snitch. I will also be using this a lot in my new character education school assembly show, with a routine involving honesty and lying. Thanks Ken for releasing a routine that I will use a LOT!
o2b2b2
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of o2b2b2
Might as well go full rude and make a Mr. Blue Ball set for those who would use it.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Waters.
The texture is probably due to spraying a large number of these at the same time in the production process. It’s called dry spray. Fast drying coatings and particularly susceptible to this issue. It will not affect the durability though (if that is what it is).

Best Regards,

Sean
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Waters.
... By the way, I just purchased your Penguin Live Lecture and found this routine and your show to be one of the most entertaining performances of mentalism I have ever seen. I laughed out loud was impressed by your thinking and performance. Truly great work.
Follow the link...
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1556 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2019, Waters. wrote:
... By the way, I just purchased your Penguin Live Lecture and found this routine and your show to be one of the most entertaining performances of mentalism I have ever seen. I laughed out loud was impressed by your thinking and performance. Truly great work.

Ahh - but do you not wish he had of named names in the rant against certain types of 'mentalists'

As I'm sure one of more of the people he means has done a Penguin Lecture themselves

I agree with the rant... but then I've always only played commercial shows - and never 'mess around' with friends, or purposely go out with stuff that isn't designed to work
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Waters.
... indeed. When you are getting paid, you MUST deliver. Informal and conversational mentalism are entirely different than taking a check. I really enjoyed Ken’s thoughts and benefitted from his experience.

That said, I don’t want to stray too far from the topic so I will mention I have performed numerous versions of Kurotsuke over the years and have now purchased Mr Golden Balls 2.0 and Primal Prediction 2.0 off the heals of watching his performance. While I probably won’t perform this exactly as described, I like the multiple layers of impact.

I am late to the show regarding Ken’s releases. Great material to study and perform.
Follow the link...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mr Golden Balls 2.0 by Ken Dyne (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL