The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Have Okito boxes...Looking for Something Else. (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2019, chucklerich wrote:
I think we're getting off point here....is there another prop for vanishing, transposition and production of coins that has some well established routines to it etc. I found the cup that funsway mentioned. But are there routines for its use? And I don't want any one trick ponies if you get my meaning. Smile

No there is not any other prop that is as versatile as the Okito Box. Do you have the booklet on the box as well, you could find more effects with it in that booklet.

Other props are a one routine effect.

To bad Johnson Products has disappeared, they use to make additional boxes that one could expand on with the box, ending in a sold brass box that was a hunk of brass.

So your saying in the over 400 years of magic there is no other prop that does what the okito box allows you to?
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
225 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
I’ve used okito boxes for over thirty years. not once have I ever been asked about or challenge to what it was. it was just the box my coins were kept it. (albeit weird stuff happened with the coins and the box at the beginning and end of my coin routine, but I always just treated like a box and never explain it).

this last year I started using a quiver+ wallet and treat it the same way. it is just something I keep the coins in. (albeit weird stuff along the way....)
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
Jerry
View Profile
Special user
Some where in Florida
978 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3289 Posts

Profile of Julie
Plan "B" is to obtain Bobo's (or any other "updated" book, if that's your pleasure) and learn real sleight of hand.

Then you can use any container that strikes your fancy.

Julie
Jerry
View Profile
Special user
Some where in Florida
978 Posts

Profile of Jerry
"To bad Johnson Products has disappeared, they use to make additional boxes that one could expand on with the box, ending in a sold brass box that was a hunk of brass".

Johnson Magic is still around and they still make the plug box. Never did like the "sucker" plug box bit.

Go here:
https://www.johnsonmagicproducts.com/sho......fa339809
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6655 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I got the O-Korto box set. Then, later I got all the Chazpro boxes. And, like the OP, I got bored. Then, somehow, I learned about Dave Neighbors book:

https://coinjurer.com/?product=the-profe......eighbors

I have a RENEWED enthusiasm for these! The very first trick in the book, is what I'm working on now. Dave's boxes are the Chazpro Buddha line:

https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-rzbcrah0/.......jpg?c=2

But I like the Johnson O-Korto Box set! I don't use the "small" box. I also see no point in the "plug" box. It signifies an OBVIOUS switch. Not a fan of the mag boxes. I've lost too many mag and shimmed halves to mess with them. Keeping it simple. Ungaffed halves and an ungaffed Okito box or Boston Box. And now, I've been alerted that Chazpro has a DOLLAR size box in Buddha!

http://www.chazpro.com/buddha-okito-box-dollar-size-brass/

My hands are pretty small, but I bet I could run the thing! I'm a sucker for these Buddha boxes! Bill's right. In 400 years, I do NOT believe there is ANYTHING like the Okito Box!

My .02...

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6655 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ya know...thinking about it...there are these:

https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/wizard-coin-cups/

But these ARE a sort of "one trick pony". there are DOZENS of routines with the Okito Box.

Jes' saying...
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4683 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Doug,
Thanks So much Man ! Smile But there is Shell stuff With A box in there too! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Jerry
View Profile
Special user
Some where in Florida
978 Posts

Profile of Jerry
The original post require the use of a prop.

In coin magic there is very little available that is on the same level of versatility as the Okito coin box.

So until someone comes up with another item like Okito box, then the answer is "Yes, - over 400 years of magic there is NO other prop that does what the okito box allows you to".

Please prove me wrong.
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Quote:
Quote:
I think we're getting off point here....is there another prop for vanishing, transposition and production of coins that has some well established routines to it etc. I found the cup that funsway mentioned. But are there routines for its use? And I don't want any one trick ponies if you get my meaning. Smile

No there is not any other prop that is as versatile as the Okito Box. Do you have the booklet on the box as well, you could find more effects with it in that booklet.

To bad Johnson Products has disappeared, they use to make additional boxes that one could expand on with the box, ending in a sold brass box that was a hunk of brass.

they stiil exist ive the same problem with their okito addons.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8300 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:

I suggested that Bike Cup because you originally asked for "an attention getter I can use for multiple effects." Now this has changed to "well established routines" that you can copy/emulate.

-- a big difference for me. I assumed that you were looking for something that allowed your own creativity to come into play. "Other than Okito" could mean "other than boring."

No problem -- I would have noted earlier that an eBook "Co-Lapse" has dozens of effects using such a cup. Plus, many Okito effects can be performed when it is collapsed.
Since this cup can be gaffed/ungaffed "on the fly" most ChopCup effects/routines can be performed as well. Even coins to glass effects.

Are you limited to coins? Many well established routines with small object (even C&B) can be performed using such a cup.

I also have dozens of effects and routines using a Spiral Coin Purse. It can work alone or be paired with a box or cup. The problem is that the sleights and moves are new and not well established. They only use principles older than an Okito Box. I do not create new effects/routines just to be different, but find in every object a potential fir orchestrating magic in the spectator's mind.
There is value in "traditional" and value in "new and different." Not sure where "well established" fits in.

I guess I am suggesting that you might look at the end result desired with your intended audience -- then work backwards to the ideal prop or technique to get it done. No prop or method should ever drive the creation/selection of a routine. It is great that you are looking 'outside the box" but now have no idea what you are really looking for.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
The Gold Coin
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of The Gold Coin
If you like Okito boxes and their friends, I'd suggest a coin cup. Al Cohen's Miracle coin cup is probably the best one to start out with, but it's extremely difficult to find (try searching for local magic shops that have a website you can order from). Ronjo also makes a great cup that's readily available. If you're curious about the differences, PM me.

Doug Brewer has a small book out for the coin cup, and some of those routines appear on NYCMS (volume 15). IMO that's plenty of material for the prop. To be fair, the coin cup can't compete with the Okito box for sheer volume of material, but the effects it can generate are great.
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I have the Mohammed Bey Book. The Section I got he most from is the last few pages where different ways of turning and loading the box are discussed. If I could find a book full of moves like that I'd be one happy camper.
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Quote:

My hands aren't of a size that I could switch boxes.

Yes, I have the Mohammed Bey book, for me the last pages, where McLaughlin shares hus favorite moves is the most helpful part for me. If I could find a book(let) with just different moves to do different things with the Okito box (like what Bobo did for coin work) I would be so happy to get my hands on that. At one point I was going to do a "transporter" effect with 2 Okito Boxes(both in full view) but because the material I have on the boxes is limited I gave up on the idea.
Jerry
View Profile
Special user
Some where in Florida
978 Posts

Profile of Jerry
To change everything about the Okito Coin Box, go here:

https://gumroad.com/l/ThsI
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2873 Posts

Profile of dpe666
st3v13
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of st3v13
Mobius wallet?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24024 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2019, chucklerich wrote:
I'm at the point with okito boxes where I cannot see myself performing them too often anymore. I am looking for another showpiece that I can use with half dollars to make a number of them dissapear, switch for something else, etc. I know props don't make the magician but my I like having an attention getter I can use for multiple effects. Any constructive help would be appreciated. Smile

I think the learning material you have is not interesting you. Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alUh14_MJKk&feature=youtu.be
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3603 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Curtis Kam reveals his work on the Okito box in his Penguin show, available June 2.
NEW MANUSCRIPT - TWILIGHT ZONE WILD COIN. All New!! As seen on Penn and Teller Fool Us! PM for details!
Rattle purse 2.0 now available! PM me for details!
New FOUR hour Penguin Live lecture TWO with 23 NEW routines, available for download at: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7338
Penguin Live lecture One is THREE hours long, and contains 18 coin effects! Available as a dvd or download from Penguin at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5960
New York Coin Magic Seminar dvd series available for download at: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-dvds/new-york-coin-magic-seminar-downloads/
NEW!! At The Table 2 hour lecture download OR DVD containing 11 routines, including THREE never taught before! Download and dvd avaliable at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22380 or http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22833
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
920 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I'm not sure if this will interest you, but Midus Cups At Viking Mfg. may be worth a look.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Have Okito boxes...Looking for Something Else. (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL