The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » 40% Clad Expanded Half Dollar Shell (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
I have a quad of half dollars with years '66, '67, '68, and '69, which I am told are called "40% clad" because they are 40% silver. They look much better than the 70's half dollars I have, which are dark and yellow in comparison. I have a '73 exp shell which matches my 70's set, but I am wondering where I could specifically order a 40% clad (years '65-'69) expanded half dollar shell for the 60's set.

When browsing shells/sets, I don't really see any using the 40% clad halves specifically. I'm fine with a special order, but I am not sure what coin maker could do that for me. I would get a '64 shell but those are quite pricey, and the single '64 half that I have is noticeably different from my 40% clad coins. I'd contact Lassen but I'm told he isn't accepting special orders at the moment. It might be worth a shot though.

Or, if anyone has one they'd be willing to sell me, let me know. Smile
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Contact Johnson Coins. They are easy to work with and IMHO, good quality for the price.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
There's no 40% clad.
There's clad ('71 and later, 0% silver),
40% silver ('65-70),
and silver ('64, actually 90% silver)

If you're going to go custom to get a 40% silver shell, you might as well go for
'64s instead.
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2019, inigmntoya wrote:
There's no 40% clad.
There's clad ('71 and later, 0% silver),
40% silver ('65-70),
and silver ('64, actually 90% silver)

If you're going to go custom to get a 40% silver shell, you might as well go for
'64s instead.
Thanks for the clarification. That's what I meant, 40% silver '65-'69 (70).

Good thinking there on the shell itself, although I'd think a custom made 40% would still be less than a '64. A dealer/maker like Johnson might have one readily available, anyways.

Quote:
On Jan 12, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Contact Johnson Coins. They are easy to work with and IMHO, good quality for the price.

That was one of my first stops. I've clicked on their "Contact Us" link but it just opens to a blank page, no matter what browser I use.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
The 40% silver shell may be cheaper but keep in mind that because the ‘64 coins are in much higher demand they are generally much easier to find. So should you decide to add to your collection in the future they would be much easier to come by if you prefer to be able to mix and match with your current coins.

So for me personally, that would be reason enough to step up to the silver halves. I’m always a bit envious of those that love and use '64 Kennedy halves because it is so easy to match them and matching years are a given. This is much harder to do with my fav which are soft Morgans.

Having said that, I have seen Tango offering “low silver” half dollars which I have thought may be '65-'70 halves but you would have to confirm that with Tango or a dealer.

http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/so......full.jpg
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Will, at the top of the Johnson Magic page is a phone number. It's been 8 or 9 years since I called about some custom work and I believe it was Kathy that I spoke with. Very friendly and helpful.
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
^I don't know how I missed that. Thanks!!!
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2019, will lane wrote:
Good thinking there on the shell itself, although I'd think a custom made 40% would still be less than a '64. A dealer/maker like Johnson might have one readily available, anyways.

A ‘64 wouldn’t even have to be custom made; it’s a regularly stocked item, currently available at Johnson’s website for $69.25 (see https://www.johnsonmagicproducts.com/sho......570ce9c)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
If you send Johnson the coins they are really good about custom work on most common gaffs with special coins.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I recently purchased 1964 Kennedy Halves at a local coin shop for $6 each. They had dozens (they referred to them as "junk silver") in various wear and they let me go through them to pick the ones I wanted. A little Never-Dull was all it took to make them nice and shiny again.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Maybe not silver, but I really like the 1971 Kennedy halves, they have a very nice feel & a sorta old gray look to them, and I really like that kinda ring around the circumference of the coin. Smile

I came across them long ago in matching-up my Johnson’s X [. I’ve had this set for quite some years now and they still match perfectly, and I still like the soft look & feel to them...smells like victory, errrrr I mean, feels like silver. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » 40% Clad Expanded Half Dollar Shell (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL