The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » That's-Just-Wrong Department (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
"Billy Zane to Play Marlon Brando in Upcoming Biopic"

https://screenrant.com/billy-zane-marlon-brando-biopic/

Sorry, but no one--no one--plays Marlon Brando. Ever. Leave the man alone.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
I read an article the other day where a MIT media lab student thought John Lennon singing Imagine was actually Coldplay.

So there is an entire generation (or 2) that has no knowledge of John Lennon or even the Beatles.

So... it isn't that big of a leap to make the same assumption about Brando.

Will Zane do him justice? Probably not, but at least it might inspire the uniformed to expand their knowledge.
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
I read an article the other day where a MIT media lab student thought John Lennon singing Imagine was actually Coldplay.

So there is an entire generation (or 2) that has no knowledge of John Lennon or even the Beatles.

Will Zane do him justice? Probably not, but at least it might inspire the uniformed to expand their knowledge.

Or that MIT student's parents just neglected to teach him or her about the Beatles. Poor kid.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well, it's probably true about younger people's awareness of Brando. I don't think my 25-year old son has much knowledge of Brando, though God knows I tried to raise him right. (He does appreciate Chaplin and The Marx Brothers, however, so I don't feel like a total failure as a father.)

The Beatles, and John Lennon, on the other hand, I'm surprised about. When I was teaching high school, not so long go, there was often a good minority of students who were Beatles fans, which used to pleasantly surprise me.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

I remember something about a tweet or something the other about a year ago where there was this music event; maybe the Grammys or such (I never watch), but Paul McCartney was to sing a trio with some current personalities (can't consider the new autotune crowd as talent). Paul's mike didn't work which was reported on the news but the tweets were from some teenager or such stating how great the 2 personalities were so nice to give a new singer a shot.

It may not be true but it isn't too hard to believe...
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
I remember something about a tweet or something the other about a year ago where there was this music event; maybe the Grammys or such (I never watch), but Paul McCartney was to sing a trio with some current personalities (can't consider the new autotune crowd as talent). Paul's mike didn't work which was reported on the news but the tweets were from some teenager or such stating how great the 2 personalities were so nice to give a new singer a shot.

It was with Kanya West and one of his female fans thought it was just so sweet of him to give this Paul guy a break into the business.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Well... there it is.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:

Many years ago, when Paul put together "Wings." He released a live album; "Wings Across America." We were at a record store (yes, I'm that old!) and two girls had picked up the live album, one said to the other; "Didn't he used to be in another band?" Maybe she was joking, maybe not.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

The record store was my favorite hangout in college.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well, hijacking my own thread here, but this young man is astonishing:

The kids are all right.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2019, landmark wrote:
Well, hijacking my own thread here, but this young man is astonishing:

The kids are all right.

Yeah, he's pretty darn good, that's for sure.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:

*an MIT student.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2019, landmark wrote:

The Beatles, and John Lennon, on the other hand, I'm surprised about. When I was teaching high school, not so long go, there was often a good minority of students who were Beatles fans, which used to pleasantly surprise me.

When I was teaching at Berklee College of Music (1978 - 1980), one of my student wasn’t aware that Paul McCartney had been in a band before Wings!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I found the article Mike mentioned here.

http://nautil.us/issue/68/context/how-we......n-lennon

It's quite interesting, though I disagree with a lot of it. (In particular, I don't think his "decay" theory takes into account re-discoverings and re-interpretations of artists in subsequent generations. And I don't think he takes into account the enduring power of some geniuses such as Shakespeare and Mozart. Are Brando and Lennon in that class?--I don't think so, though McCartney's work may be flexible enough to be re-discovered and re-interpreted for subsequent generations. Also there's a great discussion about Looney Tunes cartoons in the comments.)

Anyway, I was also intrigued by this comment about the role of scientists in our present culture. It was really thought provoking to me:

"The new mediums of radio and TV were much more adaptive for entertainment than science, that’s for sure. The people who belong to the sciences, as a fraction of the people who became famous, diminished enormously during the 20th century. The new mediums were not good for the nuances that science demands. For good reason, scientists need to qualify their statements narrowly and be careful when they talk about causality. They need to be specific about the methods they use and the data they collect. All of those extensive nuances are hard to communicate in mediums that are good for entertainment and good for performance. So the relative power of scientists, or their position in society, have diminished as we exited the printing era and went into this more performance-based era."

Cultural status as determined by the means of communication. That's a really interesting line of thought.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 20, 2019, landmark wrote:
I found the article Mike mentioned here.

http://nautil.us/issue/68/context/how-we......n-lennon

It's quite interesting, though I disagree with a lot of it. (In particular, I don't think his "decay" theory takes into account re-discoverings and re-interpretations of artists in subsequent generations. And I don't think he takes into account the enduring power of some geniuses such as Shakespeare and Mozart. Are Brando and Lennon in that class?--I don't think so, though McCartney's work may be flexible enough to be re-discovered and re-interpreted for subsequent generations. Also there's a great discussion about Looney Tunes cartoons in the comments.)...

We all like to think that our music is the best, and it seems true when compared to the autotune personalities of today (with exceptions).

Sadly, it isn't true. Now, we/I believe it is true, but the truth is the reason we/I think our/my music is best is... because we relate to it.

The songs I love the best are tethered to moments in my life. When I hear these songs it takes me back there which adds to the value of the music.

Compare the Beatles to the BeeGee's or the Beach Boys. The Beatles were happening during a lot of social changes and a very unpopular war that wasn't a war

The BeeGee's and Beach Boys were singing about having fun and picking up girls. So though I like all three the Beatles resonate more of substance.

So why don't these kids like my good music? As a whole, each generation wishes to find their own voice and 'sound'. Some appreciate the music of their fathers while others avoid it since they do not identify with it.

There was a great movie (I liked it at least) called The Music Never Stopped that touched on this generation rift.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
On the topic if That's Just Wrong... and if you have the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3EC About 1:12:00 into the video.
There's a better story than the clip which made the news media a few days ago. Respect.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Jon, the video is unavailable. Could you give a summary of what you saw?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 21, 2019, landmark wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3EC1_gcr34&feature=youtu.be
the kid's report is pretty close
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/20/us/coving......dex.html
Something about tribes of israel and there was mention of "indian"=savage by that group (not the students). Look at 4:03 on the new link above to see their sign.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 20, 2019, landmark wrote:
...Cultural status as determined by the means of communication. That's a really interesting line of thought.

Is the term "advertorial" a new thing?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2019, landmark wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3EC1_gcr34&feature=youtu.be
the kid's report is pretty close
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/20/us/coving......dex.html
Something about tribes of israel and there was mention of "indian"=savage by that group (not the students). Look at 4:03 on the new link above to see their sign.

Oh yes, I know of the Black Israelite group. They used to hang out in the Times Square area in NYC, ranting. They're lunatics. Very, very few people take them seriously.

They should not be confused with the Native American group that Nathan Phillips was part of. I will take the view of this young man (Nick Sandmann) at face value; I think it's important to understand, though, that Nathan Phillips also had a point of view about what was happening, and it doesn't square entirely with the young man's account.

I think it was a situation where a lot of misunderstanding was happening all around. The kind that, when it happens among people who know each other, is best resolved by having the parties sit down and talk about it. Whether that might happen in this case will be interesting to see.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » That's-Just-Wrong Department (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL