The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sankey's Holy Moly (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Yeah exactly Warren not Chinese coins then just magic coins . May as well just buy Chinese coin stickers and stick them on washers if that’s the way you want to go . I would love Chinese coins but real Chinese coins not your fake coins Gaz 😊

Why so snotty.....My coins are top notch and lets be honest they look way better than drilling holes into a 10p or 2p coin which just looks cheap and for corporate gigs are much more appropriate than using washers but to each their own.

I presume you wouldn't dream of performing effects such as a charming chinese challege due to the same reason which is great for me as we wouldn't all want to be doing the same effects would we.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I don’t like stickers on coins as they look like stickers and get worn . Precision coins drilled 10ps or indeed the the washers supplied look good as they are real and go well with the right patter . I mean washers are meant to have holes in right so all seems as it should . Coins are not supposed to have holes but it’s easier to frame a story around a hole in coin where one isn’t supposed to be than to why you would have a hole instead of square one in a Chinese stickered coin imo . Yeah I have charming Chinese coin challenge and done it for about 5 years about 10 years ago . That’s a completely different effect and the patter is predominantly not about the holes it’s Troy Hoosers coin on lace effect so a completely different entity . At least we are both doing old magic that no one does anymore that’s a good thing and sets us apart I too don’t want to be doing the same as everyone else Gaz 😊
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
By the way charming Chinese coins are not stickered and maybe your holy moly ones aren’t either Gaz 😊
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Actually I apologise Warren , my Christmas has been ruined and I am just being a complete nob because of it . So I am sorry about my previous comments they were wrong and totally unjustified . It’s a great effect and I am sure yours is a fantastic way of doing it . I’m really sorry , very best wishes Gaz 😊
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
No problem Gaz I'm truly sorry to hear that, if your in the Birmingham area feel free to drop me a message perhaps we could have a magic jam or something to possibly cheer you up.

Going back to your previous post my coins don't have stickers on or anything they were custom made fir me as the most difficult part is getting a Chinese type coin without a hole.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Thank you Warren it’s much appreciated and your coins sound great and with no stickers they sound absolutely superb . I actually love the premise of Chinese coins and use that in my patter with the holy moly sets I have so having them in Chinese like you have couldn’t actually be any better . Sorry I was being such a dick and I am happy you have forgiven me . I wish I was in Birmingham my friend so thanks for your kind offer but I am in Tier 4 in Kent and it’s restricting me spending Christmas with my Daughter as planned in Newcastle . Its no real excuse but that was depressing me , anyway if you can pm me with where you got those coins made I would love to buy a set in the future Gaz 😊
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Great ideas from both Warren and Gaz! Right now I'm super excited about "The Bend", but I'm going to keep these thoughts in mind for the future as I rotate the things that I keep on my keychain and wallet.

kj
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Well I have had mine for nearly 20 years so maybe he makes them out of something else now but mine 100% do Gaz 🙂

Same here. Purchased 15 years ago, stick to a magnet.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I love the effect and use it quite a bit, my local hardware store has exact matching regular washers. I purchased a whole bunch of them for about four cents each, I love the routine where you see one on the ground, ask somebody to grab it and hand it to you. Go through the routine with apparently a normal washer simply found on the ground. At one point several years ago, I made several gimmicks using a drill press, and let the spectator keep it as a souvenir in the end.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
For what it's worth - I have a couple of sets made from brass, had them for around 20 years.

The problem I see when using modified coins - is the fact that all coins have a "head" and "tail" - the two faces are different.

When switching coins (letting the coin with the the hole drop into the left hand and replacing it with the blank (French Drop) - there can be discrepancy - unless you can feel in your pocket for the "head" or "tail". When using plain metal, as in washers, the problem doesn't arise.
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
As I make my own with a pillar drill , it costs me 10p
everytime then I can always leave the 2 holed coin with the spectator at the end , I even get it initiated in its 2 hole state .
Very overlooked classic and simple effect . Best wishes Gaz 😊
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Don't you have a problem with the heads and tails situation? EG - if you show the coin with a head, and the change shows a tail? Kinda awkward trying to feel the difference with the hand that holds the replacement coin? And perhaps the orientations of the coins changing? These have always been my reservations with doctored coins. I've been doing this for years (never leave home without them ) I have a set I picked up made from plain brass. (they came from ebay, I think.

Wish I could find a second set as reserve.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
No because I always have the other coin in finger palm at the start in its correct orientation or not at all if I am routining it with the Quiver coin purse which I often do too Gaz 😊
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2021, deadcatbounce wrote:
For what it's worth - I have a couple of sets made from brass, had them for around 20 years.

The problem I see when using modified coins - is the fact that all coins have a "head" and "tail" - the two faces are different.

When switching coins (letting the coin with the the hole drop into the left hand and replacing it with the blank (French Drop) - there can be discrepancy - unless you can feel in your pocket for the "head" or "tail". When using plain metal, as in washers, the problem doesn't arise.

Using Chinese style coins eliminates that problem Smile
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
I can no longer find Holy Moly on Jay Sankey's website. Does anyone know if it's still available?
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
If you previously owned it, then you know how easy it is to make it
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
Unfortunately I haven't previously owned it so want to do the right thing and pay my dues, as it were. Also, I enjoy Jay's instructional videos. There can be a few useful tidbits of info on there that could otherwise be missed (I found this was the case with Mercuring, at least).
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2021, Kong wrote:
Unfortunately I haven't previously owned it so want to do the right thing and pay my dues, as it were. Also, I enjoy Jay's instructional videos. There can be a few useful tidbits of info on there that could otherwise be missed (I found this was the case with Mercuring, at least).

I actually came across one on Ebay today so I'm positive you can pick it up there.
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
Thanks, I spotted that last night. I was hoping I was the only one who did, lol. Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2021, Kong wrote:
Thanks, I spotted that last night. I was hoping I was the only one who did, lol. Smile

I now perfrom the routine with Chinese coins rather than washers so your quite safe my friend ha ha
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sankey's Holy Moly (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL