The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Knots fall off rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Somewhere on my book (video) shelf is a video where the magician ties two knots on the rope. He blows on one and the other knot falls off. He looks surprised and then blows on the space where the first knot was and the other knot falls off.

My old brain remembers the routine but, not what video it's on or who did it.

Help!
Mentalism for the Metroplex
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I don't remember that specific routine, but you can accomplish the falling off of knots using "pop off" knots.

You can get set up for this by using an extra bit (see Fulves Self-working Rope M., p 47)
or by judicious cutting of a square knot (see Ency of Rope p115, or other references to the Panama Rope trick, and more expensive resources such as "Pop's" Mongolian Pop Knot, which is a full routine, on Daryl's Rope Magic DVDs)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pop Haydn sells the Mongolian Pop Knot routine as well.

https://www.popsmagic.com/store/p33/Pop_......DEO.html

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2019, tgplano wrote:
Somewhere on my book (video) shelf is a video where the magician ties two knots on the rope. He blows on one and the other knot falls off. He looks surprised and then blows on the space where the first knot was and the other knot falls off.

My old brain remembers the routine but, not what video it's on or who did it.

Help!

There is two ways of doing this, usually the rope is cut and then the loose ends are tied together.

There is another way, but there is more handling involved when the rope is not cut in two pieces. This method you cannot just cause the knot to drop off as you describe.
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
I'm very familiar with both Daryl's routine and Pop Haydn's routine. This isn't in either one. I'll look at Fulves' book but, this is a video.

Any other ideas?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I guess you have to go through your video collection. I have covered both methods, and if it not them, then I have no idea what you are referring to.

As you describe the action, if you pull on each end both knots should fall off. Not just one, and then the other. If you don't cut the rope, then there is no way to do what you describe. Could be you are remembering it differently, that is common with magic effects.
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
Tgplano, I know I have that video, but I don't remember for sure which one it is. I'm thinking that it's an alternate ending on the video that comes with Daryl's Rainbow Ropes, which starts with (apparently) three ropes of different colors which are tied together, only to have the knots pop off, leaving one long multi-colored rope. The "first one, then the other" is accomplished by the way the two knots are tied.

Murf
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That effect is called, "Rainbow Ropes". Daryl made the out of a knit yarn material.
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
Found it! It's on "Daryl's Expert Rope Magic... made Easy! Volume 8 - The Great White Rope", "Triple Rope Mystery" at 25.49. This is the same effect as Rainbow Ropes, but with all white ropes.

Murf
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
If you buy the Daryl's DVD set, the Triple Rope Mystery is in the third(and last) DVD.

The basic method for the pop-off knots is the first one that I mentioned above - Daryl teaches how to do this on-the-fly. The knots pop-off sequentially based solely upon where you hold the rope. The effect uses one other subterfuge, which really adds to the mystery.

The overall effect can also be found in Scott Guinn's Great Scott its Magic DVD (under the name Magic Jumprope - a wonderful effect that uses a young helper). Scott credits Patriotic Ropes in his DVD.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Thanks murf and John Long. I narrowed it down to Daryl's DVDs and watched the first one. I guess I should have started at the back. I'll view it tomorrow and report back.

Thanks again, Ted
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Well, I've followed your suggestions and that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for all of your help. That's why I love the Café.

Ted
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2019, tgplano wrote:
That's why I love the Café.

Ted

Ditto Smile
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks to all you gentlemen. In spite of all the junk we put up with on the Café, this is what makes it truly worth it.
Finding what we need. thanks to all.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I have been doing the rope effect called Skip & Snip from Practical magic.
And just love the routein.It's an cut and restore effect using a jump rope.
And the end of the routein three knots fly off of the jump rope.Can be played
for kids or adults.It also can be used for closeup parlor or stage.Even could
be used for table hopping.Check it out on their site.There is a video of it.
Smile
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Bowers:

That sounds very much like the premise of Guinn's. But I will say that Guinn's routining of that is worth looking at.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The jump rope cut and restored is a very old effect, forget who invented it, but it was not on the market for many years until Supreme and Practical Magic brought it back. I believe there is a discussion on the Café years ago. The puzzle is with jump rope has wood handles on each end, and yet the rope is cut and restored.

If you can jump rope or have a daughter that jumps rope, what a novel way to start out this effect. Then go into the cut and restored.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2019, John Long wrote:
The overall effect can also be found in Scott Guinn's Great Scott its Magic DVD (under the name Magic Jumprope - a wonderful effect that uses a young helper). Scott credits Patriotic Ropes in his DVD.

John

My DVD is available from Lybrary.com. "The Magic Jumprope" also appears in my ebook, "My Best to You: Close-Up and Stand-Up," along with 5 close-up routines that don't use cards or coins, 4 routines for parlor/platform, and two other routines for kids shows.

"I've been privileged to see Scott perform these routines in front of live audiences (as opposed to dead audiences, I guess). How do you follow magic legend Shimada after he's just finished his classic act? That was the dilemma Scott found himself in at a magic convention, and he used his magic jumprope routine, which was a huge success. It's a great routine for kids and family audiences, and the difficulty level is just above zero." - Raymonde Crow

https://www.lybrary.com/my-best-to-you-c......642.html
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
One of my favorite rope tricks is from Gene Anderson's book. It's called "Knot Dr.Seuss".Worth checking out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Knots fall off rope (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL