The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Faro Exposed by Alfred Trumble **reprint** (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
This book has slipped under my radar until I noted a reference to it elsewhere on the Café.
It's a reprint of a very rare tome, with an updated introduction by Jason England.

Anybody got the book, and willing to offer up a review of its contents?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/10795
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thank you. I think Trumble wrote The Mott Street Poker Club and The Thompson Street Poker Club books, which are great.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2019, tommy wrote:
Thank you. I think Trumble wrote The Mott Street Poker Club and The Thompson Street Poker Club books, which are great.

Thanks for mentioning these two books tommy. Look interesting.

You're right, The Mott Street Poker Club was written by Alfred Trumble and published in 1888. However, it appears The Thompson Street Poker Club was written by Henry Guy Carleton --- also published in 1888. Both books evidently describe New York poker club gambling during that era. I may pick up copies of the reprints. However, I'll definitely will obtain a copy Faro Exposed

It is my understanding the character "Knish" from the movie, Rounders may have been derived from one of the characters in Carleton's book. Fascinating!

My gosh...poker clubs from the 1880’s. WOW...that’s even before my time. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/012409825

It seems to credit Alfred Trumble with both there Cag but anyway they are both very funny and also the slang book of his there is quite interesting. Look up what a "Rounder" is according to him.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Faro Exposed by Alfred Trumble **reprint** (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL