The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite source to learn Biddle move? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

I'm excited to learn the Biddle trick, and I particularly like the way Daryl handles the trick in his Encyclopedia of Card Sleights. But -- I continue to have trouble with the Biddle move. I wrote earlier about my difficulty in controlling the sounds the cards made as they moved from the deck (in right hand) to the packet (in left hand), and making the sounds all the same for each card I transfer. That's improving a bit. But I'm still having trouble getting the cards flush with the cards already in the packet. Keeping them flush is important if the move is to work.

I have looked at lots of sources (Card College, Mentzer's booklet, Daryl...), but I haven't found a really detailed description that would help me with the problems I mentioned.

One suggestion that several people made earlier was to handle the cards lightly. That was excellent advice, and I've been working on lightness in all of my practice. But I thought perhaps someone knew of a description of this move in particular that went into the kind of detail that Mike Close does in his ebooks on palming, and that Ian Kendrick (sp?) does in his ebook (from Lybrary) called Basic Training. Both authors really break down moves so that there's absolutely no question about where your various fingers should be and how you should be moving them. (Of course, I have to modify their handling, because different people's hands are different, but I find it really helpful to have a detailed program to start with.)

Alternatively, maybe some one has similar problems and has found fixes that worked for them.

Thanks,everybody!

Bob
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Unfortunately, I do not recall where I learned the Biddle move. Here are a few hints that might help:

When I do it, for each take of a card, I always align the left edge of the deck completely with the left edge of the packet. Also, I take a two centimeter pinky break below the card to steal. Moments before the steal I open all of the left hand fingers, which, owing to the slant of its packet, causes the target card to slide right a few centimeters, which helps a silent and aligned steal.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Counts, Cuts, Moves and Subtleties by Jerry Mentzer:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4837

That was all I needed to perfect the move.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Stew
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Stew
I agree with Arthur. The Jerry Mentzer book is an excellent source.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Shaun, that's exactly the kind of specific advice I need. I'll try out your ideas. Your mention of the pinky break reminds me of another problem I've been having. When you catch your pinky break, do you bend the inner right corner of the card downward? That's what I'd expect, but I'm having trouble doing it. Instead, I've been pushing that corner to the left, so that I do have a break, but that corner is curled under the card above it. (Hope you can follow that!)

By the way, I've been following some of your posts on the internet. It looks to me like you're growing by leaps and bounds -- very exciting. I say that as a "late beginner" (i. e., not a novice, but not intermediate either) to someone who's clearly more advanced, so take my judgment for it's worth!

Thanks also to Arthur and Stew. As I mentioned, I did read Mentzer's description carefully. It's a great book, but I didn't get the detail I needed.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
P. S. to Shaun: I'm going to try to clarify what I said. I'm doing *sort of" a buckle, I guess. So the corner of the card is pointing upward, not downward as it would be in all the pinky breaks I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure that's part of what's creating the problem, but I can't seem to get the corner to turn downward.

Thanks again...
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Thanks, Shaun, that's exactly the kind of specific advice I need. I'll try out your ideas. Your mention of the pinky break reminds me of another problem I've been having. When you catch your pinky break, do you bend the inner right corner of the card downward? That's what I'd expect, but I'm having trouble doing it. Instead, I've been pushing that corner to the left, so that I do have a break, but that corner is curled under the card above it. (Hope you can follow that!)

Thank you for the encouragement on my progress. I appreciate that. It provides a much needed reward on the long path to mastery.

As for your question, I might not understand it. If my answer seems unrelated, then please clarify.

During the Biddle move, I do no bending of the inner right corner downward. Rather, I catch my pinky break in the process of taking the target card onto the packet. Some pinky flesh simply gets in the way of the card coalescing with the packet. If I am planning to steal the third card, then it's one, two, three (pinky flesh gets in the way of coalescing), four (steal the card), five. As a result, there is no need either to buckle or to push the corner to the left.

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Ah, okay! Yes, that makes sense. You've given me some great homework. Smile

You're welcome. Sometimes people remember to criticize but forget to praise. You're absolutely right, in your signature, that we need criticism to grow. But we need praise, when it's called for, to nourish our souls. That's my take on things, anyway!
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
I am glad that it helped. The bill is in the mail. ;-)

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Ha!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite source to learn Biddle move? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL