The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Splitting cards (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pauldelafontaine
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Pauldelafontaine
I just can't seem to god dam do it. It always rips into pieces or I rip strips off but never get a clean whole sheet off. Any tips for splitting cards quickly to help my sanity?

Thank you
will lane
View Profile
Loyal user
Will likes to post so he has made
229 Posts

Profile of will lane
I'm not sure if everyone uses the same method or not, so here is mine. I don't really have a problem with splitting cards, I mess up a few every now and again but I get the majority of them. The corner is tapped on the table for a long while. You need to get quite a grip on the two halves. As soon as I have enough space, I pull the halves apart just enough to be able to hold the top half (1 layer of the card) on the table, and then I pull the top half (2 of the layers) from the bottom half. Do this very slowly and gently. When it get towards the end, slow down even more.
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Perfect split every single time ...

https://www.theperfectshuffle.com/Corner-Splitter-Jig/
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
Cardmagic12345
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Cardmagic12345
Blake vogt split split sessions.
Panash
View Profile
New user
Tucson, AZ
1 Post

Profile of Panash
I have purchased a few effects where, in the description of the trick, they don't bother to inform you that it requires you to split a card or cards. This is not something which is easy, by any means, to do. I have tried all the methods available in the tutorials to no avail. I have tried this with a whole deck of cards and was not successful. I don't know how these guys make it look so easy but it never works for me. Is there anyone out there who does this? I will pay you to split a deck, or two, of cards for me. Please. I am desperate. I have purchased the following effects and can't even perform one of them.

Revive by Duane Williams is, in my opinion, the #1 trick which requires it.

Face-Off by Ron Salamangkero requires it.

Inside by Mathew Parrot is another one.

Refraction is another one.
The Bigger The Lie...The More Believable It Becomes
Cardmagic12345
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Cardmagic12345
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2019, Panash wrote:
I have purchased a few effects where, in the description of the trick, they don't bother to inform you that it requires you to split a card or cards. This is not something which is easy, by any means, to do. I have tried all the methods available in the tutorials to no avail. I have tried this with a whole deck of cards and was not successful. I don't know how these guys make it look so easy but it never works for me. Is there anyone out there who does this? I will pay you to split a deck, or two, of cards for me. Please. I am desperate. I have purchased the following effects and can't even perform one of them.

Revive by Duane Williams is, in my opinion, the #1 trick which requires it.

Face-Off by Ron Salamangkero requires it.

Inside by Mathew Parrot is another one.

Refraction is another one.

Try to slow down when you do it split sessions by blake vogt is great. I will also pm you a tutorial on youtube which I found very helpful.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5325 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Blake is a very clever guy. His money splitting technique is beyond cool.
My best resource for learning to split was Marty Grams' DVD (exceptional), and then I received some tips from the late, great Don England. Other than that, Ken Driscol's book "Giraffed Gaffed Again" is another good resource.

I recently purchased one of Eoin O'Hare's corner splitters and it is an enormous time saver. Works like a charm! I tend to use more DMT than rubber cement these days, thanks in part to my Lassen Gaffing Genii, but rubber cement (provided you get the right kind) works well, too.
Nick Lande
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Nick Lande
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2019, Magiguy wrote:

I recently purchased one of Eoin O'Hare's corner splitters and it is an enormous time saver. Works like a charm! I tend to use more DMT than rubber cement these days, thanks in part to my Lassen Gaffing Genii, but rubber cement (provided you get the right kind) works well, too.

What is DMT? I have never heard of it.
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of LesL
No it’s not a street drug. Dry mount tissue.
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
533 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Ekaterina sells a full deck of split cards. If you're new to splitting you might be trying to pull the thinnest layer off. It actually only works if the thinnest layer is at the bottom, laying flat the whole time, and you are pulling on the thick layer.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1854 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2019, Magiguy wrote:
I tend to use more DMT than rubber cement these days, thanks in part to my Lassen Gaffing Genii, but rubber cement (provided you get the right kind) works well, too.

DMT is good -- one day I'll get a Gaffing Genii for that -- HOWEVER -- if you're going to put neodymium magnets between the layers, stick with rubber cement -- the heat needed for DMT can kill them.
Jerry
View Profile
Special user
Some where in Florida
948 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Just in case someone needs the link Eoin O'Hare's corner splitters.
Go here:
https://theperfectshuffle.com/

Another possible resource.
FYI - The Bammo Gaffus Maximus Bob Farmer.
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic Forest
375 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
The Bammo Gaffus Maximus has no card-splitting methods.

As to gluing cards, split and otherwise, together, I use this:

https://www.xyron.com/en-us/products/2-5......50-cften

To line the cards up, I use Todd Lassen's card gaff genii:

http://www.toddlassen.com/coins/lrg/card_gaft.jpg
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2019, Jerry wrote:
Just in case someone needs the link Eoin O'Hare's corner splitters.
Go here:
https://theperfectshuffle.com/

Wow thanks.
I never would have known.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
IncantoMagic
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of IncantoMagic
It was mentioned above, but the most important part is putting the single layer side on the table, and use your non-peeling hand to hold it down, keep crawling that hand along as you peel. Also, don't peel directly at a diagonal, kind of rock back and forth, and you will feel it pull more easily in one direction or another. Final tip is to use new cards. older cards have some damage and will tear more easily.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Splitting cards (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL