The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Sad News: Denny Haney (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jamesmwood
View Profile
Regular user
Buda, Texas (near Austin)
113 Posts

Profile of jamesmwood
Dear Fellow Magicians,

I just received the sad message below regarding the passing of Denny Haney, a legend of magic.
*********************************************************************************************************************

Friends of the Magic Community,

It is with heavy hearts that we must announce the passing of one of the greatest contributors to our art. Last night, Denny Haney passed peacefully in his sleep after a brief battle with cancer.

Denny was a proud American and a Vietnam Veteran having served four tours of duty stationed near the mountains in Pleiku. Upon his return to the US, after serving his country, he began his career as a professional magician. All through the 1980's and early 90's he was a very successful corporate entertainer. He wanted to give back to the magic community so he took the money he earned on the road, and opened up a studio where magicians could come and learn, practice their craft, rehearse and exchange ideas.

As many of you know, his daughter Dawn has been running the shop during his illness. We kindly ask that you respect his family's privacy at this time and refrain from calling. We will continue to process orders in a few days. We will be updating with more information about Memorial Services as they become available.

Thank you,

The Denny & Lee Magic Studio
Jim Wood
Buda, Texas (near Austin)
jawood@utep.edu
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
One of the Bright lights in magic is gone. I have been friends with Denny for over 45 years. He influence and encouraged thousand of magicians in his time. he was a leader in the brick and mortar magic world. his belief that books personal attention are what makes magic entertaining. Thank you Denny for your friendship, advice and direction. You helped make me not only a better entertainer but a better human being. The world is a darker place today without him. Rest well Denny it has been an honor to call you my friend.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So sad to hear this. Condolences to the family. R.I.P. Denny
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
I’m literally in tears. I’m in the Army, and Denny and I would talk about his times and mine.

He loved books, and he was a magic encyclopedia!! 😁

Love you Denny. Miss you already Brother
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The magic community is a darker place today. Denny was a person that lit up a room just by coming in. He always had time to help and advise. Years ago my wife called him to ask about the price on a Tarbell Course. After giving it to her, he asked how old the youngster was. When she told him I was 40, he just laughed and said it was about time. When I met him for the first time, I told him I was the 40 year old youngster and he laughed like only Denny could. We became friends after that and had many conversations.

RIP my friend.
Where the magic begins
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
This is a sad day in magic for sure.

Oscar
johnawolfe
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of johnawolfe
I “discovered” Denny’s shop a couple of years ago and used every excuse I could to stop in. It was like going into a treasure chest of magic, in particular his books. He and I shared a passion for the classics of magic writing. But the biggest treasure was being able to sit down and chat with Denny about any aspect of magic. He was the true treasure and with his passing we have all lost a library of magic. Rest In Peace good sir.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
A deep loss indeed. He brought much to our art and will be deeply missed.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I am shocked and heartbroken.

The world had only one Denny Haney........and he was very, very special.

R.I.P. my friend.
GazelleR
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
130 Posts

Profile of GazelleR
Sad news. I have dozens of books in my collection that I bought from Denny over the years and had shipped to the UK. A lovely man and a sad loss.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Denny had a huge impact on all aspects of our art as a performer, lecturer, mentor, dealer and collector. I have many fond memories of afternoons spent talking with him about the art that meant so much to him and to me as well. His knowledge of magic was encyclopedic.

Shakeapeare said it well in _Hamlet_:
"I shall not look upon his like again."

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
tbsmith918
View Profile
New user
Ruckersville, Virginia
32 Posts

Profile of tbsmith918
Very sad indeed.
Tom
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
We were friends for a long time. His enthusiasm was definitely contagious. His knowledge was absolutely amazing. His sense of humor was delightful. He will be remembered for a long time.

Requiescat in pace, Denny.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Stan B
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Stan B
Denny was a great magical artist, a mentor to many aspiring magicians, and an honest magic dealer. He was also a long-time friend with whom I had a lot of laughs.

If you ever saw Denny do the his Egg Bag and Card Manipulations, then you got to see some of the great moments in magic. I could watch him do those routines over and over again, and I did. I saw quite a few of Denny’s show overs the years, and these two routines were his best in my opinion.

I remember when Denny opened his Magic Studio. Some people thought that there wasn’t enough room for another magic shop in Baltimore, and that Denny’s shop would take business away from the others. Well it probably did, but I think it created more magic business than it took. Denny inspired those already involved in the art to take it to new heights, and he attracted new clientele, many who went on to pursue careers in magic. I think it was the new-comers that impressed me the most. With Denny’s help, several of them went on to become respectable, professional magicians.

As a magic dealer, Denny was very serious about magic as an art. He did not sell knock-off products, and he had a thing or two to say about those that do. He didn’t want to sell costumes or gags either. If you wanted “the good stuff” Denny was your guy. He was always willing to share his experience and knowledge with friends and customers, but he didn’t give away secrets that weren’t his to share.

Magic has lost a real gem.
D Byrd
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
229 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
I roadied for Denny back in the 90's. Those were the best days of my life. Back (pre-shop days) when it was me, Denny, Lee, and Allen Nguyen (Alan Nu). We always had a good time and one of the best shows I remember doing with Denny was the old Playboy Lodge in the Catskill Mountains New York for Jayco Trailers. Miss ya Denny. Rest in Piece my old friend.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Sad News: Denny Haney (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL