The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Perverse Magic by Gerald Deutsch (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5947 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Gentlemen, 
I am starting this thread to let our members know that I have just ordered my copy of Perverse Magic. 
I have been following the Perverse Magic Thread for many years . I absolutely love the magic.
My magic journey started many years ago with kitchen magic, to shop props, to advanced coin magic, close up sleight of hand, manipulation, and eventually close up card magic. 
Card magic is my passion but I always wished I could utilise my sleight of hand abilities with small objects in an entertaining way- more than just a vanish of a coin and less than a seated performance of Roth's WildCoin. 
Enter Perverse Magic. 
Mr. Deutsch's routines are simple, fooling, and fun. 
He provides the sleight of hand artist countless opportunities and scenarios to display his talents to amaze regular people in everyday situations. 
He has done so much thinking over the years and written it in Perverse Magic. 
Do you find yourself stuck just doing a French Drop or making something appear when a magic opportunity presents itself? With Perverse Magic you will be prepared in every situation, any time, with anything- for a fun to watch, engaging, simple, magical miracle that can absolutely stand on its own. 
I highly recommend Perverse Magic by Gerald Deutsch.
Almost 500 pages of rock solid close up miracles in everyday situations that you will use in every day scenarios. 
I have been waiting for this book for many years and now it is available.
Wanna know the best part? All of the proceeds go to charity. 
Get this book.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4673 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks, magicfish.

Here's the order link:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/gerald-deutsch/......173.html

All proceeds go to Open Heart Magic: www.openheartmagic.org
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
It's good to know about Open Heart Magic.

I too am doing magic for charity. 100% of the proceeds from my next show go to an arts program for people without homes.

I've also been dreaming up Cheating for Charity, about which I will post more in the future.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5947 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Mine arrived!
What a gorgeous hardcover this is.
What incredible magic this is.
Now, finally, right at my fingertips.
Just wow.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4673 Posts

Profile of landmark
Happy to report that M.U.M , the official magazine of the Society of American Magicians, just published a rave review by Norman Beck of Jerry's book in its new May issue. Here's the first paragraph:

"This book is not like any magic book I have — and that is a good thing. I liked it very much and will have it for a long time. I have never heard of the guy who wrote it, but he mentions being friends with Bob Elliot and David Roth. That is good enough for me."

You can order at

http://www.lulu.com/shop/gerald-deutsch/......817.html

or just go to lulu.com and type in "Perverse Magic."
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
313 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Magicgish... your taste is impeccable. I will take your lead and order that.
Deckstacker
View Profile
New user
Cherry Valley, CA
60 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
The ad copy describing the Deutsch book as presenting a "fun, engaging style of magic where the performer is as baffled as the audience," has sold me on ordering a copy, as that is exactly the way I like to engage audiences much of the time. Some of the most beloved comedians of "yesteryear" such as Ed Wynn, Gracie Allen and others affected a baffled/bewildered persona who seemed never to understand his or her own jokes, and I have found that this approach works well for me with both kids and adults. It also makes recovering from the occasional mistake easier as well.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I got an error message when I clicked on the link you provided, landmark. But I did find this by googling Gerald Deutch Perverse Magic:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/gerald-deutsch/......817.html

Actually it looks like the same link you gave. Anyway, the page offered little detail; would anyone be willing to provide examples of a few tricks and what makes them so unusual and great? And what level it's at?

Thanks,

Bob
Deckstacker
View Profile
New user
Cherry Valley, CA
60 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Here a link to another web page discussing Gerald Deutsch's book with lots more info.

https://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=51390

And another link to a page with a clip of an amusingly perverse 4 aces trick. (Scroll down just a little.)

https://jackshalom.net/2015/09/29/the-ma......-i-hope/
Tortuga
View Profile
Regular user
Ballwin, MO
188 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Cute routine with lots of fun acting oppotunities. Thanks for sharing the link.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks for the links, Deckstarter.

Magicfish (and others), Deutsch's work sounds wonderful -- and just the sort of thing that would fit my personality. And I found the facing pages from the book quite funny -- especially the one about the ball rolling up and down the ramp, having a jolly time defying the laws of gravity, while the magician (math professor???) seriously lectures about gravity. And I enjoyed Jack Shalom's performance. I wonder how many spectators would notice that he *did* succeed in getting all four suits?

But here's my question: Can you describe how difficult the tricks are? I know that may be hard to do, but my Elmsley Count video probably gives you a pretty good idea of where I am at this point, so that perhaps you'd have some idea of what I could handle. I think I'm good at making up stories to go with tricks, and I'm working on the easier sleights and tricks (I can do a pretty good Color Monte). Much though I want to branch out into branches of magic other than cards, right now I need to focus on getting cards up to speed. The book is tempting indeed, but I don't want to spend $50 (even on a good cause) if I won't use the book.

The other issue that's holding me back: I'm not handy. If a lot of the tricks require you to make your own props, it's probably a nonstarter for me.

So... I'd be very interested to hear about those issues.

Thanks as always,

Bob
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4673 Posts

Profile of landmark
Hi Bob,

If you can do a DL and an Elmsley there are lots of card effects in the book within your skill range. If you can do a finger and classic palm, you'll also find many coin and other kinds of effects that are in your range. Most are done with normal cards and coins, meant to be done at the kitchen or dining room table for friends and family.

The thing that I've found about the book which is very nice is that Jerry has given an approach to use on tricks that are not even necessarily from the book. A lot of the presentations you can mix and match and apply to other effects. I'd been holding back on doing a great David Regal trick for years because I couldn't figure out a way to present it to friends--but Perverse Magic was the answer. There are scores and scores of step by step examples which will help you develop your own style.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, landmark. Jerry directed me to his many examples on the Genii forum, and I had exactly the same impression that you described: he gives lots of detailed examples, but also a philosophy of presentation that is adaptable to all kinds of situations.

Interestingly, I've been moving toward perverse magic without knowing that's what it was. I hate any presentation that has even the slightest whiff of making fun of my audience. A friend on the Café put me onto Faulty Followers, and I came up with the idea of using the joker as the card that keeps turning face up. The idea is that jokers are mischievous, and I'm asking for the spectator's help in seeing whether a new joker is too mischievous to for me to use in magic. We find out that the joker is indeed too mischievous, in both the spectator's hands and mine.

It's hard to imagine that I won't buy Jerry's book at some point. But I've spent lots of money on magic over the last three years, and have resolved to spend $0.00 on it for the next x months. I hope there will be copies available when I allow myself to spend on magic again!

Neither my DL nor EC is performance-ready, but I'm making progress on both. You're inspiring me to work on those palms, too. "Meant to be done at the kitchen or dining room table for friends and family" is exactly what I'm looking for at this point.

Bob
poolside
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Florida
62 Posts

Profile of poolside
What a great buy! I was not familiar with the term "perverse" magic before discovering this book (although I regularly do some). Thank you, Mr. Deutsch, for so many great ideas on tricks we already know. My family and friends have become so accustomed to seeing me as do a "magician in trouble" routine they don't believe me when I actually mess up a trick. Now I look forward to being as baffled and even more surprised than my audience in upcoming performances. I know my grandchildren will eat it up.
"It's a good feeling to know you're alive" - Fred Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4673 Posts

Profile of landmark
At the Jerx website, they just gave a nice mention of Jerry's book:

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2019/6/12/dustings-of-woofle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Perverse Magic by Gerald Deutsch (9 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL