The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking for the Holy Grail (ACAAN) (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Andrei Duduc
View Profile
New user
Romania
21 Posts

Profile of Andrei Duduc
Now, I know that this would be useless to some performers, cause simply put, to the spectators, it's the same thing, no matter how clean you perform it, you can give the impression it's been shuffled and never touched, but I'm a very obssesed guy, in magic in general, I'm always looking for the best version of most of what I do, and ACAAN is my favorite thing to do actually, not only for people, but the study of it and the versatilty is just amazing, I currently have in my little notebook 45 methods of doing it, and I'm talking practical stuff, not pipe dreams, and no, they are not all invented by me, some are on the market, because I want to be put in any given situation (shuffled deck, no touching, cards in the box, ect.) and be able to do this little miracle as cleanly as possible, why? I love sleight of hand and more than that, sleight of mouth(psy forces, ect)and also like many of us out there have been not secretly but unknowingly filmed, and sometimes you can actual backtrack the method cause you can see it, so I started working on this thing more and more, and I'm actually pretty happy with what I have right now, 45 method which I will be truthfull use probably 8 methods max, BUT I still want to find something more and I'm talking in card magic and mentalism too, not only ACAAN, my love for card magic in general and mentalism is an obssesion is something that consumes me, but in a good way, I don't wanna talk openly about methods here, I just want to discuss with fellow acaan, card magic and mentalism lovers theories, and their experiences about this fascinating miracle we call ACAAN, thank you for your time to read this long ass post.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11601 Posts

Profile of John C
I didn't read the whole thing... Too long with no paragraph breaks.

But don't all look for the holy grail? There are a lot of grails and all purport to be holier than thou. 😂
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
407 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
I think the cleanest version is Asi Wind's A.A.C.A.A.N., by far.

The most practical for me is Barrie Richardson`s impromptu CAAN.
Andrei Duduc
View Profile
New user
Romania
21 Posts

Profile of Andrei Duduc
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2019, Alexxander wrote:

The most practical for me is Barrie Richardson`s impromptu CAAN.

I can think of at least 4 ACAAN's that I would do before that one, I like the imposibility of the method as I mentioned, Danny Daortiz has some amazing work on it.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4221 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2019, Alexxander wrote:

I would concur with this assessment. It requires committed practice to get smooth, but once mastered, this is fairly close to the proverbial Holy Grail.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1186 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Just my opinion, but I have learned this effect does not merit the work the more skill-oriented versions require. For instance, Barrie Richardson's impromptu one gets almost the same reactions from a layman as the more difficult/involved ones. I like Asi's and performed it successfully a few times. I like Barrie's mem-d77K version too (a lot). Of course, I know magicians feel differently about this; I am referring to laymen. I realize people feel differently about this effect though. I guess I just held hands with the crusade too long and decided to pursue other quests.
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Bendeck
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Bendeck
The version I do is impromptu and probably exists somewhere in literature, as it relies on calculations, thumb counting, multiple outs and the p***.

While it sounds so complex to be done smoothly, enough practice will get you reactions as great as other versions. If you want to film it though, that's another story; I'd recommend Patrick Redford's.
Brad Ballew
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
74 Posts

Profile of Brad Ballew
Yeah, Redford's Applesauce is clever and uses one of my favorite principles. It's also easy to do and impromptu.

I need to find that ebook! I think I've forgotten how to do it.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Here are 92 versions of Any Card At Any Number from Denis Behr's website:

https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/category/712
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11601 Posts

Profile of John C
R Paul Wilson has one that is ridiculously simple and gets the same reactions as complex slights.

Any deck..
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Cardmagic12345
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Cardmagic12345
There is one in the advocate that is pretty clean.
Andrei Duduc
View Profile
New user
Romania
21 Posts

Profile of Andrei Duduc
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2019, RedDevil wrote:
Just my opinion, but I have learned this effect does not merit the work the more skill-oriented versions require. For instance, Barrie Richardson's impromptu one gets almost the same reactions from a layman as the more difficult/involved ones. I like Asi's and performed it successfully a few times. I like Barrie's mem-d77K version too (a lot). Of course, I know magicians feel differently about this; I am referring to laymen. I realize people feel differently about this effect though. I guess I just held hands with the crusade too long and decided to pursue other quests.

I said exactly this in my original post, I know that it's the same thing for them, but this is part of the passion for me, I'm a huge lover of sleight of hand and sleight of mouth, and love coming up with new things, that excite me and will excite my spectators, in this case maybe new presentations. Instead of Barrie's I prefer just thumb counting and getting to any number more quickly, to me, it's way more invisible and clean, even if I do a pass. This is my actual favorite version, psy force, altough it's fair bascially they can see any card and memorize it, which btw is the same thing as thought of card, so still ACAAN, and then I just bring it to whatever number they want, other than that, Eurika is very good if you want no mem but use kind of a stack. Other than that I have lots more versions for any situation, the best ones, and more impossible ones, I'll give a little hint, use time, let's say they are done better one on one and on the offbeat, and you can literally achieve the berglas effect, every time.
Andrei Duduc
View Profile
New user
Romania
21 Posts

Profile of Andrei Duduc
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2019, Cardmagic12345 wrote:
There is one in the advocate that is pretty clean.

From DM?
Cardmagic12345
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Cardmagic12345
Yeah
Bendeck
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Bendeck
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2019, Brad Ballew wrote:
Yeah, Redford's Applesauce is clever and uses one of my favorite principles. It's also easy to do and impromptu.

I need to find that ebook! I think I've forgotten how to do it.

I meant Patrick's Hands Off, which isn't impromptu but more camera friendly. Applesauce looks great. Thanks for mentioning.
dj
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of dj
Here is another ACAAN routine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6QodbzZ74E&t=187s

Here is the same ACAAN routine performance uncut, but in german language:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI7HkvWLV7E&t=13s

Darko
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
I have only performed Simon Aronson’s mind reading version of Twice As Hard
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I have used a number ACAANs. Barrie Richardson's is very good. I have done what Berglas performed when the situation is right. Liked Born's book. My Devil's ACAAN that has a long thread on latest and greatest is pretty close to a perfect ACAAN but few will go to the trouble to perform.

What I am using now is my own version that I combined a few methods and something I previously believe is to be unknown. It is literally a perfect ACAAN (I don't touch the cards, cards can be examined, spectator counts, any number or card may be picked, no stooges or accomplices, etc). With any ACAAN there is always some compromise and mine is that about 2 or 3 times out of 10 I will be one or two off but that is very easy to make part of the effect.
Andrei Duduc
View Profile
New user
Romania
21 Posts

Profile of Andrei Duduc
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2019, brehaut wrote:
I have used a number ACAANs. Barrie Richardson's is very good. I have done what Berglas performed when the situation is right. Liked Born's book. My Devil's ACAAN that has a long thread on latest and greatest is pretty close to a perfect ACAAN but few will go to the trouble to perform.

What I am using now is my own version that I combined a few methods and something I previously believe is to be unknown. It is literally a perfect ACAAN (I don't touch the cards, cards can be examined, spectator counts, any number or card may be picked, no stooges or accomplices, etc). With any ACAAN there is always some compromise and mine is that about 2 or 3 times out of 10 I will be one or two off but that is very easy to make part of the effect.

Sounds good in theory, not being negative, I would love to talk about it,i have several methods but I still sacrifice some things, well, I know I sacrifice things, the audience and even other performers don't see it sometimes, they may presume though.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2501 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
If you've really got 45 methods and can't find one you like, then maybe the problem isn't the methods, it's the effect. Have you ever thought about looking at the methods available for a closely linked effect--The Open Prediction? This is similar to ACAAN, but is better, in my opinion, because the spectator gets to decide IN THE MOMENT when they are going to stop, and they don't have to commit to a stopping point at the beginning, as is required with an ACAAN when a number is chosen.

If you like to collect methods then you're in luck because Thomas Baxter released The Open Prediction Project which contains over 50 handlings of the Open Prediction. Here's one that I adapted:

Even if it doesn't replace ACAAN, at least you might pick up some ideas that could be adapted into an ACAAN, or even give you something to change up when you're performing for someone that's already seen ACAAN. Good luck.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking for the Holy Grail (ACAAN) (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL