The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Syllabus (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I am considering approaching my church about a ministry through teaching magic. I would do this for all ages... kids (maybe middle school and up) aspiring "magic uncles and grandpa's" (aunts and grandma's too). But before I do so, I want to build a syllabus. I'm pretty clear on the magic content... basic cards, coins, TT, etc. and a few "impromptu" effects. I'm not looking to teach "Gospel Magic," so I'm not looking for effects specifically designed to convey a Christian message. Where I would appreciate some input is on few topics

- Gospel themes and/or stories to accompany basic effects....vanishes, appearances, transposition, transformations. I would like to occasionally show both a secular and Christian presentation for a "standard" effect i.e coins across, oil & water

- Gospel passages that would "fit" as a theme or to "set the stage" for each lesson (i.e. extending joy) I'm pretty sure I'd lose everyone if every effect had spiritual patter, so, while the magic teaching may be 100% secular, I'd like to introduce each session with a short scripture.... but it would be great if I could relate it to something like learning, entertaining, magic, etc.

This is just an idea for now, so any feedback is appreciated
Wx4usa
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Interesting idea. I'm quite curious to see what responses you get Scott.
Joeni
View Profile
New user
Germany
73 Posts

Profile of Joeni
The point I came back to magic after about 22 years off was when preaching on Luke 15 I remembered once doing a coin vanish. So there are coins, vanished and found coins in the Bible. That would be a good starting point I think. Isaiah 1:19 or 1John 1,9 are great to start teaching a silk color change.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Thanks.

That sparked a few ideas...

Color change, vanish - Washing away sin
Production - God's provision (i.e. manna, multiplying bread and fish)
Prediction - God has a plan, God knew you before you were born

Again, Im not looking for patter... the idea would be more toward performing the effect with a secular presentation, then use it as a segue into a discussion of a Christian construct... then teaching it

What biblical constructs, teachings, etc are analogous to: relocations, transpositions, predictions, and other magic plots
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
Magic is a great item to use to break down barriers.
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
382 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
Go to the library on the FCM website. In the library section at the very end are my lecture notes Teach with Magic. There are over 130 gospel magic object lessons I wrote. Can't find them email me at rickfcm@hotmail.com and I will email them to you.
vannma
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of vannma
Magic is a great object lesson just as Jesus taught with object lessons. I used to teach magic in a Christian environment. PM me as I may have some files that cover what I taught and why it is ok for Christians to do magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Syllabus (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL