The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quantum By Calen Morelli & T11 (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
codydavismagic
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of codydavismagic
I used this on stage for an arts competition (projected of course) and this was a piece that completely slayed. It's been years since it happened (got it from Calen via etsy a while ago) and they still talk about it. It truly is just a moment that looks like trick photography.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I received this today. I had a pretty good idea of what to expect so I was happy to see the props included are very well made. The included online video is about 10 minutes long and is pretty brief. It’s funny because Calen says on the video that he really created the trick to be used as a visual on video or Instagram (of course the ad copy never mentioned that part) but he does run thru a way to use it in a real life routine. That routine may work okay but my guess is that most reading this won’t be too thrilled with it.

I’m not disappointed because to be honest I was mainly interested in the included Sharpie anyway. I’m a big fan of adding an occasional moment of strange and some unexpected visual eye candy and I’ve always liked performing Sharpie Thru Card (STC), so I wanted to experiment with adding this new Sharpie to my existing STC routine and seeing if I could kick that effect up a notch and take it to the next level. So while the included gaffed card is very well made and ingenious and works great I doubt I will use it. I will settle for moving the pen and then removing it from the same spot it went in rather than a different spot. This really makes more sense in the context of my routine anyway.

I realize a big selling point of Calen's routine is being able to show both sides of the card, and that definitely makes for a nice video, but the compromises required to do that make it too high of a price to pay IMO. For one thing, only showing the back of the card as with STC allows you to use a signed card which gives more justification for the Sharpie within the routine. But more importantly it allows the gaff to be double backed like the original STC. This makes it SO much easier to switch in and out.

Now for anyone who is a far better card handler than I, you probably could do an immaculate TC or devise a method to show both sides of the card. Personally I hope they offer this card gaff in a DB version because I’d love to see what could be done with that. I may try to add a split card to the back of this Quantum gaff and see if I could get it to both work and look good. Although I did think Ross W had a good idea using it as a quick in between effect as part of larger routine and I may give that a shot too and see how it plays.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
To be honest, depending which card I receive, I shall alter the cards in my stand-up-monte routine. After performing this they’ve handled all of the cards. Just get the gaff card out of the same pocket, and crack on with the effect. What more convincing do you need?

What I’m saying is just perform it as part of any ‘packet trick’ card routine where THE card has already been freely handled by the spec.
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Iowa
716 Posts

Profile of brandon90
I just received this in the mail and while I too had an accurate idea of what to expect in the package I'm not completely upset with my purchase even tho he mentions in the video that it was created for instagram but I think it would make a great party trick. I'll give it a test run one of these nights to report back with an accurate review.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I noticed the email promo from Theory 11 indicates it can be used in person, but makes multiple references to how it looks on video and social media. If you read between the lines of the email, you get an indication on how this will best be used. "It seriously looks like trick photography...It looks incredible on video....Whether you're on Instagram or performing up close..."
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I think Russ W and pegasus both have good ideas on ways to use this.

Upon playing with the gaffs more today I found out a couple of things...

First, the Sharpie Thru Card hole is slightly smaller than the Quantum hole so the Quantum Sharpie is not compatible with the STC gaff. That kind of bummed me out.

But then on further working with the Quantum card and pen I am finding I like them more and more. The basic routine Calen teaches I like more than I thought I would now that I've had a chance to work with it with deck in hand. There are actually many possibilities in how to work out the switches. For instance, I was doing a rub a dub vanish at the end with the card disappearing and then apparently reappearing out of my back pocket or wallet, which also allows me to switch out both the card and pen at the same time. I could then have them sign the card and go into any signed card routine.

So the good news is that these props are seeming more useable than I first thought when unboxing them. One big thing in their favor is that both items are really well-made.
But the bad news is that moving the Sharpie right after it enters the card can be pretty hard on the edge of the card so now that I'm liking it more, I also have to wonder how long it will last. It may be one of those items that you have to burn through one in learning, practicing, and experimenting; and then have a "performance" card that you use. But the fragility of the card may make it too expensive to replace for busy pros. But we'll see how it holds up over time.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2019, Michael Dustman wrote:
I noticed the email promo from Theory 11 indicates it can be used in person, but makes multiple references to how it looks on video and social media. If you read between the lines of the email, you get an indication on how this will best be used. "It seriously looks like trick photography...It looks incredible on video....Whether you're on Instagram or performing up close..."

Actually, reading between the lines, it makes equivalent references to both social media and close up. That’s why I bit the bullet, and so far the reviews are good.
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Iowa
716 Posts

Profile of brandon90
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2019, videoman wrote:
One big thing in their favor is that both items are really well-made.
But the bad news is that moving the Sharpie right after it enters the card can be pretty hard on the edge of the card so now that I'm liking it more, I also have to wonder how long it will last. It may be one of those items that you have to burn through one in learning, practicing, and experimenting; and then have a "performance" card that you use. But the fragility of the card may make it too expensive to replace for busy pros. But we'll see how it holds up over time.

I noticed my gimmick was wearing pretty easily as well so I had to mess around with the handling a little bit and I think I have it down but I'll definitely need a second Quantum card for performances.
keilunmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of keilunmagic
I am considering it but I’ll ditch the card and replace it with the STC gimmick (Sherpa edition). A friend that already had Quantum told me that the sharpie STC is slightly smaller and won’t work. Plus the STC gimmick is more robust according to him. I’ll share more when I get it.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2019, keilunmagic wrote:
I am considering it but I’ll ditch the card and replace it with the STC gimmick (Sherpa edition). A friend that already had Quantum told me that the sharpie STC is slightly smaller and won’t work. Plus the STC gimmick is more robust according to him. I’ll share more when I get it.

Yes, please let us know how the Sherpa edition STC works with Quantum.
gamma105
View Profile
Regular user
City of Evil
150 Posts

Profile of gamma105
Can you write with the gimmicked sharpie?
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2019, gamma105 wrote:
Can you write with the gimmicked sharpie?

Nope, you can't take the lid off from the pen Smile
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
Tyler Lunsford
View Profile
Regular user
USA
131 Posts

Profile of Tyler Lunsford
Hey everyone!

You can watch the review I posted here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUcrB5fPyc0

Hope it helps!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2019, Tyler Lunsford wrote:
Hey everyone!

You can watch the review I posted here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUcrB5fPyc0

Hope it helps!

Good review Tyler. Keep up the good work.
Tyler Lunsford
View Profile
Regular user
USA
131 Posts

Profile of Tyler Lunsford
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2019, Tyler Lunsford wrote:
Hey everyone!

Hope it helps!

Good review Tyler. Keep up the good work.

I appreciate the kind words, they help keep me going!
MagicMax20
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMax20
I have to agree, great review ! Hope to see more in the future.
keilunmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of keilunmagic
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2019, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2019, keilunmagic wrote:

Yes, please let us know how the Sherpa edition STC works with Quantum.

Tested today. The Sherpa version is too big. Smile
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
For those of you who have STC and QUANTUM - which is better for "real life" situations? Or can that be answered? I literally have no clue how it works - and they both look amazing.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
I literally have no clue how it works...

Really? To quote...um...you, "Is it what I thought? It's exactly what I thought!"

Quantum is pretty cool. Not sure how practical it is, but super fun to play with.

Evan
jaylosa
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of jaylosa
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
For those of you who have STC and QUANTUM - which is better for "real life" situations? Or can that be answered? I literally have no clue how it works - and they both look amazing.

STC is great because the sharpie can be handed out immediately, also the card can be a free selection and signed. Only downside is the spectator does not see the face of the card as you to the penetration and the sharpie can only go in and out on one spot.

With Quantum, you can show the back and front before and during the penetration. Also you can move the sharpie around the card. It has other drawbacks tho. No fair choice, no signature, and 2 "moves" before examination.

Hope this helps David.

I would get both so you have multipe ways of doing the "same" effect. If you're just getting one, STC in my opinion. Let's see what others say....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quantum By Calen Morelli & T11 (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL