The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » TEENAGERS (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2702 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Hi
I've been asked to teach teenagers (12 - 15yrs olds) 4 or 5 simple magic effects. Any suggestions?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2820 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
These teens aren't magicians. They probably won't respect the art of magic.
I have encountered thousands of not only teens, but others who just want to know how it's done or be shown a simple trick. ( it's so much more)

One of the managers of a restaurant I worked in pleaded for me to show him a trick. I gave and showed him the effect Hot-Rod with the multi-colired gems. He said "oh is that all it is"
I swore I would never do that again.

If they want to learn a few tricks, make the effort to go to the library and seek out a book. Guess how many will do that?................................................................................I'm waiting
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Regular user
Randolph NJ
131 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Strongly agree. Don't do it.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3639 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I've been asked on multiple occasions to just teach a few tricks ( in a one hour, one time class) . I always decline and tell them that Magic takes a serious commitment and that one lesson is a set up for embarrassment. I 'm sure they just call the next name on the list.

-Mary Mowder
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of puggo
I have found that showing teenagers ONE simple, near self working trick can be a positive experience, particularly if you then explain how serious study is needed if they want to learn more/sleight of hand etc. (I use a simple in the hands card trick or a coin to neck vanish for this). Even putting aside the internet, I don't think that this is exposure, but as giving them a taste of magic in their own hands or achievement.

Who's to say that you won't make a difference to the teenagers life in some perhaps small way or inspire them to become a serious student?

I will now put on my flame proof underpants in case others disagree!

PS - I don't do lessons or offer to teach them anything else, but rather direct them to a good source or teacher.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8309 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have taught several "High school club" courses in magic to teenagers. If they did not have an interest in magic or weird science when they were 10-12 they did not suddenly
discover it as a teen. Many want to learn a trick to impress friends or attract girls, etc. - or just "gotcha" as an ego stroke.

Yet, there were the few who really "got into it." That was /decades ago. Today I am not sure that anyone addicted to an iPhone can be serious about magic.
It is not about technology. It is matter of imagination and interpersonal relations. How do you find the few?

One suggestion based on by experience. Teach one trick to be mastered. No second one until they can perform the first adequately under a variety of settings.
Yes, show them where the library is. The third trick is one they find themselves in a book and master. Of any are left in the group you have a chance to move to better things.

Above all else, kill any notion that magic is something you buy. They might purchase a gaff like a C/S, but no one in my classes could ever perform a purchased packet trick.
I also did not allow card tricks for beginning students. No mental magic or mentalism either. PM me if you don't understand why.

It was terrific when the advanced group could put on a show for fellow students at an assembly. Yes - effects and not tricks.

Also, today I would charge a fee for the course and then return part for every class attended on time. The final cost is Zero.
The key is not to waste time waiting for a lack of responsibility. There is no "catch up" or "what did I miss?"
The secrecy rule applied to each other as well. As Mary said, "commitment" is essential. Have them prove it.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
EllisJames52
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh PA
50 Posts

Profile of EllisJames52
Teenager here, chiming in. Are most teens going to seriously appreciate magic? No. Is there are chance that one could? Yes. Magic, like all art, needs to be shared.

What if you taught something simple, like a false transfer. Tell them that you can help them learn more, but only when they can come back and do a perfect false transfer. The ones that don’t care enough to put in the time will give up, but the ones who care will stay, and can be pushed into the right direction.

If you don’t offer any help, and turn them away completely, they will learn from YouTube. Then they will grow up without any appreciation for our art.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3639 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I agree EllisJames52

But I don't want to make money from a situation where I know most in the group will not be well served.

- Mary Mowder
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Why stop at magic? Teenagers often don't respect the subjects they are taught in public school. Math, literature, art history...these are subjects most teenagers will have little interest in, but are forced to sit through public school to learn them. Send them off to a library to teach themselves if they really have an interest and the tax payers can save millions.

I also have seen my share of retired adults who express an interest in learning magic at a later age...forget them too! They are only into it because they have spare time on their hands to butcher classic magic effects in front of their peers at the magic club...some even attempt to perform for the public only to embarrass themselves and the art of magic as a whole.

Magic Café members...we need to determine a way to measure the worth of those who wish to learn how to cut and restore rope, multiply billiard balls, and vanish a coin. Please join me in my crusade to evaluate the worthiness of those who we feel are entitled to be taught magic!!!!!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2820 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2019, kinesis wrote:
Hi
I've been asked to teach teenagers (12 - 15yrs olds) 4 or 5 simple magic effects. Any suggestions?

No one knows the particulars of the above request. Are these teens genuinely interested or have previous experience? Is the request just to teach some teens who may or may not be interested?

I was asked to teach a magic class at my church for some youngsters. In the middle of explaining a simple napkin trick a young man raised his hand to tell me his family owned horses.

I've been asked several times to teach the boy scouts, girl scouts etc. I kindly decline because of personal experience reasons and the reasons already mentioned above.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2702 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2019, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
Hi

No one knows the particulars of the above request.

Thanks, The teenagers have all expressed interest. several of them already do card tricks and one is quite skilled. This is a school environment where these particular children could do with a confidence boost as some come from quite difficult backgrounds.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8309 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2019, kinesis wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2019, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
Hi

No one knows the particulars of the above request.

Thanks, The teenagers have all expressed interest. several of them already do card tricks and one is quite skilled. This is a school environment where these particular children could do with a confidence boost as some come from quite difficult backgrounds.

OK - expanding then on my ideas posted above. Is it to be a regular course such as an after school program? How long per session and how many sessions?
Are there language difficulties? Is an eventual show a possibility, or just individual socialization objectives?

You said 4-5 tricks. Might this lead to something more? Who did the asking - parents? School counselor?
Why you? What do they (kids and asker) know about the magic you perform? Are you to be paid or a willing volunteer?

Such questions can influence which tricks you teach, or preferably "create conditions in which they might learn."

In my experience, "boosting confidence" can be a great secondary affect of getting involved in performing magic IF the motivation comes from the kid.
If this is being done based on an adult's opinion as to what is best for these kids it is "fraught with peril."
Music or theater might be a better choice than magic.

If the school wishes to teach ALL students a couple of magic tricks as a way of overcoming stage fright it could be great! (as in all Cub Scouts back when)
As an alternative, how about offering the "teach in" to all students showing an interest? That way, these kids would be "included" rather that specialized.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3639 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Kinesis,

How long will you have with them?

- Mary
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Meriden, CT
430 Posts

Profile of TKD27
I'll teach anyone magic. I just don't see the problem.

James Munton sells a DVD on doing a magic class as a birthday party show. It's aimed at kids in the 8-12ish range, but it might be useful for you.

Tricks I love to teach include:

- Key Card Trick
- Mind Reading Crayons where you scrape the wax with your finger nail
- Two Card Monte (I have my own branded give aways for this, but you can teach it to kids by having them glue cards together).
- Linking Paper Clips

For really young kids (under eight), far and away my favorite trick for them is a coin slide. You know - the cheap plastic toy that you put a quarter in to whole then insert it in a sleeve and vanishes. It's completely self working and they basically fool themselves with it all day long, it's wonderful.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
854 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2019, puggo wrote:
I have found that showing teenagers ONE simple, near self working trick can be a positive experience, particularly if you then explain how serious study is needed if they want to learn more/sleight of hand etc. (I use a simple in the hands card trick or a coin to neck vanish for this). Even putting aside the internet, I don't think that this is exposure, but as giving them a taste of magic in their own hands or achievement.

Who's to say that you won't make a difference to the teenagers life in some perhaps small way or inspire them to become a serious student?

I will now put on my flame proof underpants in case others disagree!

PS - I don't do lessons or offer to teach them anything else, but rather direct them to a good source or teacher.

I show people the neck thing too. Very rarely.....Usually it's only for close friends or other adults that aren't the kind to go blab their mouth. If they want to show their kid sumthing'.

To the OP. I wouldn't suggest it either. Mary makes a good point as do several others here.

You could do the Fortune telling fish. (super cheap to provide) That is one of the coolest "trick" things for kids out there. I don't care how old you are it's great! Maybe that fish illusion that one fish is bigger than the other. Also you could twist some ez balloon animals. Just my $.02
Chamberlain
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Some easy tricks that shouldn't take too long to learn:

Crazy Mans Handcuffs
TOXIC Force on their Phones calculator
Emotional Reaction by Vernon
Sponge Balls (basic routine with 2 sponges)
Out of this World
Wonderland Bill
Card Warp

Or just get the JawDroppers magic dvd set and choose from there
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
854 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2019, Chamberlain wrote:
Some easy tricks that shouldn't take too long to learn:

Crazy Mans Handcuffs
TOXIC Force on their Phones calculator
Emotional Reaction by Vernon
Sponge Balls (basic routine with 2 sponges)
Out of this World
Wonderland Bill
Card Warp

Or just get the JawDroppers magic dvd set and choose from there

I disagree here. None of those should be taught. just my $.02
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8043 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I agree with your disagreement
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19408 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why would you teach those?

And consider what right you have to do so.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Rocky
These are the very same effects which are performed by some of the senior citizens who haunt our magic club!!! They continuously butcher these effects to no end! I can only imagine what a precocious teenager would do given the secrets to these effects!!!!

Shame on those who share these nuggets with the "Wannabes"...both young and old alike.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » TEENAGERS (33 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL