The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » TEENAGERS (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
199 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
~George Bernard Shaw

Smile
And ... I don't even know what I'm talking about.
But I've practiced magic for two years.
Smile
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1355 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Nice quote, I think I read it somewhere...

Quote:
On Feb 21, 2019, HeronsHorse wrote:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
~George Bernard Shaw

Smile
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
199 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Well, that went right over your head.
Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19397 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea not even close to getting it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
adrianrbf
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
76 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
I might not be a professional magician, but I know a lot about teenagers and about teaching, thus let me share some thoughts.

there is so much more in teaching magic to teenagers that the antagonism "exposing secrets" and "raise new magicians". Magic is empowerment, magic is thinking outside the box, magic is a code of honour, magic is fun. It is worthwile teaching magic to teenagers even if they will not become professional magicians.

And let's be honest, there are secrets and "secrets". Every kid has an uncle who can do a "pick a card"-trick and find the picked card again with help of a key card. Revealing the key card method is not really exposing a secret. Still, it is empowerment and fun. And one could show them, that with the same principle, one can come to different effects - thus teaching them the importance of presentation.

Sticking to cards, I would also teach them some easy-to-learn flourishes. When I was a teenager, I had a lot of fun learning the Charlier cut. It is no secret, it takes some practice, but it isn't rocket science. And it can even serve as a test: Those who practise enough to master the Charlier cut are ready to work for their magical skills.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1355 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Nope, gotten and played right back at you to see how many times you would respond with nonsense like you both just did. You guys are too easy... LOL

Quote:
On Feb 21, 2019, HeronsHorse wrote:
Well, that went right over your head.

Quote:
On Feb 21, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea not even close to getting it.

Oh and you both don't really GET the quote, which is actually even funnier.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19397 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh no we knew you knew and responded so you would respond like that. Too easy.

Your turn.

And obviously you have no idea the meaning of the quote.

My lord just stop. Because it seems like you are saying you intentionally acted ridiculous in order to get others to react to it. This is kind of the definition of trolling. Certainly you are not saying you did that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
199 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Oh My! Smile It isn't exactly so complex that you should assume that two people don't understand it.
I'll just respond in the form of emoji from now on?
Smile
Smile
Smile
Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8035 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Danny & Heron! This guy has demonstrated that he cannot add "1+1" !
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1355 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
What ever dude. Your admitted "bull in a china shop" routine is [getting] old and you rarely have anything positive or "on topic" to add to any thread. Is there a post in this thread were you positive or on topic?

You think the quote applies here, but the act of being unreasonable does not automatically equate to progress. Being unreasonable can be equally detrimental to progress as well, this thread being an example. But then you likely already knew that.

Fortunately most of the negativity and condescension here was promptly ignored, as most of it should have been, and kinesis just did what he planned on doing. By all accounts, his session with these hard luck kids went well. Congratulations on that Kinesis!

Quote:
On Feb 22, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Oh no we knew you knew and responded so you would respond like that. Too easy.

Your turn.

And obviously you have no idea the meaning of the quote.

My lord just stop. Because it seems like you are saying you intentionally acted ridiculous in order to get others to react to it. This is kind of the definition of trolling. Certainly you are not saying you did that.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19397 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How about the post where I pointed out how you're blanket accusation of Mary was uncalled for? The very thing that made you admit you were wrong in the first place! Trolling gets you nowhere.

What is old is your trolling. You juat admitted to it. How does that help exactly?

And by the way whatever is 1 word. Just pointing it out. But I'm sure you did that on purpose.

But everyone needs to see you in the right light. You INTENTIONALLY do something ridiculous to get a response. Then you got that response, and are now ANGRY at those who responded as you supposedly intentionally caused!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
199 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Smile

Smile

Smile
Smile
adrianrbf
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
76 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2019, adrianrbf wrote:
I might not be a professional magician, but I know a lot about teenagers and about teaching, thus let me share some thoughts.

there is so much more in teaching magic to teenagers that the antagonism "exposing secrets" and "raise new magicians". Magic is empowerment, magic is thinking outside the box, magic is a code of honour, magic is fun. It is worthwile teaching magic to teenagers even if they will not become professional magicians.

And let's be honest, there are secrets and "secrets". Every kid has an uncle who can do a "pick a card"-trick and find the picked card again with help of a key card. Revealing the key card method is not really exposing a secret. Still, it is empowerment and fun. And one could show them, that with the same principle, one can come to different effects - thus teaching them the importance of presentation.

Sticking to cards, I would also teach them some easy-to-learn flourishes. When I was a teenager, I had a lot of fun learning the Charlier cut. It is no secret, it takes some practice, but it isn't rocket science. And it can even serve as a test: Those who practise enough to master the Charlier cut are ready to work for their magical skills.

Selfquoting may be unusual, but I don't want my on-topic post to be buried in a bunch of off-topic name-calling.
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2019, adrianrbf wrote:

Selfquoting may be unusual, but I don't want my on-topic post to be buried in a bunch of off-topic name-calling.

This is the Magic Café...a thread rarely exists where on-topic posts aren't overshadowed by adults getting into with one another. I find it both fascinating and sad...but here I am!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13333 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2019, EllisJames52 wrote:
Teenager here, chiming in. ....
What if you taught something simple, like a false transfer.

Well, that's a problem right there. A false transfer is hardly something simple.
As we all know, the REAL requirements to do a false transfer are things people work on for a very long time. The mechanics are just the beginning.

In one class you will never hit the mark on what is actually required. And what is actually required will be boring and uninteresting to the teens that just want to learn a trick or two.

I don't mind teaching something but it would have to be one of a select few things that don't give any real magic secrets away, easy to do, fun, funny, etc.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
199 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2019, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2019, EllisJames52 wrote:
Teenager here, chiming in. ....
What if you taught something simple, like a false transfer.

Well, that's a problem right there. A false transfer is hardly something simple.
As we all know, the REAL requirements to do a false transfer are things people work on for a very long time. The mechanics are just the beginning.

In one class you will never hit the mark on what is actually required. And what is actually required will be boring and uninteresting to the teens that just want to learn a trick or two.

I don't mind teaching something but it would have to be one of a select few things that don't give any real magic secrets away, easy to do, fun, funny, etc.

I thought the same when I read that. Teaching a false transfer is also basically giving away lots of secrets in one!
You might as well not show them anything for entertainment if you've shown them the false transfer. Every time you even do a real transfer they will assume it was false!(which could be taken advantage of I suppose..!)
I'd show them how to hold a pencil like it is stuck to your hand. You know, the old way of holding your wrist with the other hand and having a finger hold the pencil?! I actually got people with that last week and I was only showing it to my family cos I read it in an ancient book and it reminded me of how I used to fool kids with it in primary school. I was showing them as a kind of mockery, yet they fell for it!! Wow Smile
I'd probably not teach actual secrets, just simple stuff like that or some mathematical self worker with cards.
Smile
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1355 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I like Mary and her posts. I have no desire to pull her into this. You need to read what was written and to whom it was written. You did not point out MY blanket accusation of Mary, that was your post to Kinesis. Unfortunately, the post that Mary initially made
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2019, Mary Mowder wrote:
I've been asked on multiple occasions to just teach a few tricks ( in a one hour, one time class) . I always decline and tell them that Magic takes a serious commitment and that one lesson is a set up for embarrassment. I 'm sure they just call the next name on the list.

-Mary Mowder

was not exactly positive. She indicated that she would never take that kind of job, as magic takes a "serious commitment" and that situation would be "embarrassing". The "next person on the list" comment indicates that all though she would never stoop to be a part of that embarrassment, someone, namely the guy who made the original post would. That is a back handed way of saying that Kinesis would take on an embarrassing job that she has indicated is below her. She also noted that she wouldn't take money from a situation where "I know most in the group will not be well served." A not so subtle way of indicating that she believed the situation Kinesis was asking about would be a failure.

Also, I wasn't trolling anyone. My response to the posting of my tagline was simply to say that I'd read it somewhere before. No swipes at anyone, no negativity, just me saying that I was acknowledging the likely origin of the post (reading my tagline). Sure I finally succumbed to the dark side after that and trolled a bit, but that was after a perfectly benign response where both you and Heron just had to chime/troll in.

You are a hypocritical troll master Danny, so spare me you righteous trolling indignation. I tried to help answer the question, you still haven't. Kinesis apparently thought what I wrote was helpful. Your comments clearly were not.

My graduate teaching degree has allowed me to teach teenagers on a daily basis for the last 15 years. I feel pretty comfortable weighing on on how to teach them because I have the modern experience and training to back that opinion up. That's part of my frustration with the approach that a lot of they naysayers on this thread took. I have no problem respecting the art, demonstrating commitment and being serious. That's all well and good, but you gotta hook them first. The class Kinesis was talking about was an intro course. That environment needs to be positive, fun and enjoyable. Before any teenager is going to listen to you talk about respect and commitment, they need to be invested in the magic first. There is little harm in teaching them a simple public domain trick like the circus card trick to get their feet wet and experience the rush of both performing and fooling someone. You can't get them to care until they get hooked and get the magic bug. Once that happens, those teenagers will start to care about the important stuff that was mentioned, but not until then.

Quote:
On Feb 22, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
How about the post where I pointed out how you're blanket accusation of Mary was uncalled for? The very thing that made you admit you were wrong in the first place! Trolling gets you nowhere.

What is old is your trolling. You juat admitted to it. How does that help exactly?

And by the way whatever is 1 word. Just pointing it out. But I'm sure you did that on purpose.

But everyone needs to see you in the right light. You INTENTIONALLY do something ridiculous to get a response. Then you got that response, and are now ANGRY at those who responded as you supposedly intentionally caused!
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19397 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hilariously pathetic excuses.

How silly claiming somehow you "succumbed" and started trolling. You were trolling and it is as simple as that.

Yes it is easier to call me one to mitigate your actions even further in your mind. Nobody is being indignant, b simply pointing out your behavior. Doing so does not qualify as trolling as desperate as you are for that to be true.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8035 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, Danny & Heron! It IS a challenge to try to discuss anything with someone who can't add 1 + 1 and, arrive at 2 not 4.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
199 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
My graduate teaching degree blah blah blah.
Why are you even bothering to keep this going? To tell about your degree? Or show a new level of emotional insecurity?

Jeeeeeez.

Yes Dick, you're right. Smile
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » TEENAGERS (33 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL