The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » TEENAGERS (52 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Newbies starting out need to learn early how to perform a trick. Magic is hard enough to learn, but if one doesn't have performing chops. I would pick tricks that are easy to do but ones that allow for a decent performance.

The circus card trick or the lie detector card trick (key card method) are technically easy enough to perform while allowing for good audience interaction and entertainment.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2019, kinesis wrote:
Hi
I've been asked to teach teenagers (12 - 15yrs olds) 4 or 5 simple magic effects. Any suggestions?

I know it sounds like people are Bit***** at you, but don't read into it too much. I think the overall gist' is to go another way...... I'm gist' sayin', my $.02 cents. ... just my opinion. db (see what I did there?) ha! Thank you very much! I'll be here all week! 👌👈 < that
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Here is an alternative approach for a small group. At a birthday party years ago for a 12-14 age group I had each parent pay $5.00
to cover the cost of a small magic set from E-Z. Each contained six simple/beginner tricks.

I performed two of them during my show without their knowing I had the kits to pass out later.
They were all excited to get the magic sets - and more excited to learn that these tricks could actually be performed in a show.

Out of the eight girls, two of them later contacted me to see if they could learn more.
When I asked which of the tricks they had mastered I never heard form them again.

I have no doubt some learned a couple of tricks to amuse their friends. To me that is NOT "being interested in magic."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I agree Ken. The situation you have described is too often the case.

These "magicians" who want to expose the methods of "commercial' tricks to "curiosity seekers", are doing just that: EXPOSING. (e.g.,see Mr. Chamberlain's post above.)

THEY ARE NOT HELPING MAGIC, OR THOSE SEEKERS who are only motivated by "secrets:.

I have years of experience, mentoring teens. Many are now successful professionals. Some are avid amateurs. It was made clear to all of them at early meetings, that I could merely help them learn. Learning is an active process, not a passive one.

We had discussions, but, I merely recommended books by well qualified magicians, and, we discussed what they had learned.

I only mentored those who showed themselves SERIOUS.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
I think the exception should be for Gospel Magic. The student of gospel related magic has devoted their life to our Savior Jesus Christ and is seeking a way to deliver His message through magic. Also, should they be deemed "not serious" through their mentor/teacher, the secrets will be safe due to the morals held by the student. Perhaps it could be recommended to pursue clowning as a way to promote Christianity(?).
Wx4usa
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Reminds me of when the kids were little and taking TaeKwonDo. People would come in and want to know the 'Secrets' in their FREE intro lesson. Show me how to break a board or knock someone out. The idea was, sign up, pay for lessons, make a commitment, start where everyone starts, learn the basics, master the basics and advance...over time. Planned, proactive and intentional. Same with learning magic, I think.

Ken's example above with the magic kits validated the kiddos commitment or lack thereof.

Same idea applied in a magic shop where I grew up. The owner knew the basic 'tricks' and what I could (successfully) handle. Those he showed me and sold me. He would show other effects but not necessarily sell them to me because I wasn't ready. He'd say, show me this trick and how you do it. If I did it well, I might get to buy this one or that one. If I blew it, I wouldn't. He knew success in this effect meant I would be OK with that one...I know now that he was right. He said, I'd just be frustrated with that one until I learned this one.....

At the core of it all I think is striking a balance between protecting secrets, validating commitment and setting the student up for success whatever the age happens to be....kids or adults. And realizing there are those that just want to buy stuff to discover secrets, try it a few times, impress friends and throw it in a box.

And Dick's ideas on mentoring above are good ones.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2019, Wx4usa wrote:
Reminds me of when the kids were little and taking TaeKwonDo. People would come in and want to know the 'Secrets' in their FREE intro lesson. Show me how to break a board or knock someone out. The idea was, sign up, pay for lessons, make a commitment, start where everyone starts, learn the basics, master the basics and advance...over time. Planned, proactive and intentional. Same with learning magic, I think.

Ken's example above with the magic kits validated the kiddos commitment or lack thereof.

Same idea applied in a magic shop where I grew up. The owner knew the basic 'tricks' and what I could (successfully) handle. Those he showed me and sold me. He would show other effects but not necessarily sell them to me because I wasn't ready. He'd say, show me this trick and how you do it. If I did it well, I might get to buy this one or that one. If I blew it, I wouldn't. He knew success in this effect meant I would be OK with that one...I know now that he was right. He said, I'd just be frustrated with that one until I learned this one.....

At the core of it all I think is striking a balance between protecting secrets, validating commitment and setting the student up for success whatever the age happens to be....kids or adults. And realizing there are those that just want to buy stuff to discover secrets, try it a few times, impress friends and throw it in a box.

And Dick's ideas on mentoring above are good ones.

Nailed It! Nailed It! Nailed it! (although my teacher would have sold me anything and did sumtimes, but taught me a lot and steered me towards books). I miss that guy!

I like your analogy using martial arts.....that's perfect.👍👍👈

You must put in the work Grass Hoppa! 🤘
Wx4usa
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Thanks DollarBill. Mister Miyagi said, "Wax on, Wax off....Nice finish on Miyagi car validates desire to learn Daniel san."
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
The session was on Friday 8th Feb
I had a class of 5 eager 15 yr old boys for 2 hrs
We had a lovely time chatting, sharing and learning, they appear to have had a really positive time. I got great feedback from the school.

Thanks for all of the advice but I didn't take any of it and I just did my thing.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Wx4usa
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2019, kinesis wrote:
We had a lovely time chatting, sharing and learning, they appear to have had a really positive time. I got great feedback from the school.

Thanks for all of the advice but I didn't take any of it and I just did my thing.

I’m so glad it went well. That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing the outcome with us!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:

Great to hear. You can't find out if somebody is "serious" or wants more until they try it. Good for you!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Boy, is Dick going to be disappointed!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:

Just wondering in your time together with the 5 eager boys if you taught them to respect our art
and to respect other performers. I have encountered some teens, with some knowledge, that found it necessary to blurt out some card moves to their buddies in the middle of my performance. No respect or decorum. Glad you had a positive experience but it was all for not "IF" RESPECT and COURTEOUS behaviour was not at the forefront of your class. I hope so.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2019, Rocky wrote:
Why stop at magic? Teenagers often don't respect the subjects they are taught in public school. Math, literature, art history...these are subjects most teenagers will have little interest in, but are forced to sit through public school to learn them. Send them off to a library to teach themselves if they really have an interest and the tax payers can save millions.

I also have seen my share of retired adults who express an interest in learning magic at a later age...forget them too! They are only into it because they have spare time on their hands to butcher classic magic effects in front of their peers at the magic club...some even attempt to perform for the public only to embarrass themselves and the art of magic as a whole.

Magic Café members...we need to determine a way to measure the worth of those who wish to learn how to cut and restore rope, multiply billiard balls, and vanish a coin. Please join me in my crusade to evaluate the worthiness of those who we feel are entitled to be taught magic!!!!!

Really? I'd guess from his sarcasm directed at Dick there, that he probably meant to just poke at Dick, yet again, as I keep seeing intolerable morons doing on this site.
Whatever happened to consideration I don't know. Where I come from we have respect for the elders, especially when those folk are trying to pass on knowledge. I see it so often around here, sorry but I'm getting tired of it.
I'd say my apologies if I'm wrong in this case but it seems pretty clear. Rocky jumped on Dick right away. Pathetic.
It is against my better judgement to even comment, because the people who behave this way will then direct the same at me and that's not a game I'm playing. So um yeah, I'll close this thread now.
*poof!
I'm gone
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Dick did nothing but crap all over the original posters idea in like four different posts. One post was enough to register his disapproval. Multiple negative posts with no real suggestions forthcoming were unnecessary. One little post saying that Dick might be disappointed (likely said tongue in cheek) was NOT the work of intolerable morons. Dick had it coming and he doesn't need you to defend him. Of all the ridiculous posts on the Café to choose from...

Quote:
On Feb 11, 2019, HeronsHorse wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2019, Rocky wrote:
Why stop at magic? Teenagers often don't respect the subjects they are taught in public school. Math, literature, art history...these are subjects most teenagers will have little interest in, but are forced to sit through public school to learn them. Send them off to a library to teach themselves if they really have an interest and the tax payers can save millions.

I also have seen my share of retired adults who express an interest in learning magic at a later age...forget them too! They are only into it because they have spare time on their hands to butcher classic magic effects in front of their peers at the magic club...some even attempt to perform for the public only to embarrass themselves and the art of magic as a whole.

Magic Café members...we need to determine a way to measure the worth of those who wish to learn how to cut and restore rope, multiply billiard balls, and vanish a coin. Please join me in my crusade to evaluate the worthiness of those who we feel are entitled to be taught magic!!!!!

Really? I'd guess from his sarcasm directed at Dick there, that he probably meant to just poke at Dick, yet again, as I keep seeing intolerable morons doing on this site.
Whatever happened to consideration I don't know. Where I come from we have respect for the elders, especially when those folk are trying to pass on knowledge. I see it so often around here, sorry but I'm getting tired of it.
I'd say my apologies if I'm wrong in this case but it seems pretty clear. Rocky jumped on Dick right away. Pathetic.
It is against my better judgement to even comment, because the people who behave this way will then direct the same at me and that's not a game I'm playing. So um yeah, I'll close this thread now.
*poof!
I'm gone
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
All of my posts were done tongue in cheek...My apologies if they were offensive. I should have said in my first response that the advice given by Dick was not what I had expected.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2019, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:

Just wondering in your time together with the 5 eager boys if you taught them to respect our art
and to respect other performers. I have encountered some teens, with some knowledge, that found it necessary to blurt out some card moves to their buddies in the middle of my performance. No respect or decorum. Glad you had a positive experience but it was all for not "IF" RESPECT and COURTEOUS behaviour was not at the forefront of your class. I hope so.

Respect is learned well before a two hour class. Family, friends, school, environment all instill a sense of respect in a person. Whether it’s respect for the protocols of Magic, then tenets of scouting, or the discipline of athletics...

Bottom line is He spent a couple of hours teaching some kids somethings...he had fun, they had fun...it may lead to something more, or it may not. But bravo to Kinesis for teaching.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2019, imgic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Respect is learned well before a two hour class. Family, friends, school, environment all instill a sense of respect in a person. Whether it’s respect for the protocols of Magic, then tenets of scouting, or the discipline of athletics...

Bottom line is He spent a couple of hours teaching some kids somethings...he had fun, they had fun...it may lead to something more, or it may not. But bravo to Kinesis for teaching.

True in a perfect world...Do you get out much? It's ALWAYS important to stress respect, decorum and courtesy. If your statement was true why so much disrespect in our world? There would be no need for LifeLock. Smile
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2019, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2019, imgic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

True in a perfect world...Do you get out much? It's ALWAYS important to stress respect, decorum and courtesy. If your statement was true why so much disrespect in our world? There would be no need for LifeLock. Smile

Yes, respect, decorum, and courtesy should always be stressed. Such as sliding in a little jab about me getting out...
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
It was a joke. Did you notice the laughing imoji? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » TEENAGERS (52 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL