The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Getting the entire audience involved (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2553 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
If anyone has any ideas for opening routines or warm ups that involve the entire audience I’d be interested to hear about them or indeed any sources of collections of such things.

The kind of thing I’m thinking of are things the audience can participate in that produce odd results, or that maybe some can do better than others. Examples would be things like; roatating your foot while finger writing the number 6 in the air... The interlocked finger arm twisting thing that Copperfield popularised... The stroop test...

I seem to remember hearing that Tony Iavociello had an opening bit that involved the whole audience but I’m not sure if this fits the bill as it might be an actual effect rather than the kind of thing I’m seeking. But I would like to get more information about it. (If Tony reads this please feel free to PM me. Smile I would have sent a PM to Tony but this option of contacting him isn’t available.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
Perfect warm up in my opinion is the sleep test as detailed in Psychology for the Mentalist. It can be found in the chapter on False Memory.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2019, aligator wrote:
Perfect warm up in my opinion is the sleep test as detailed in Psychology for the Mentalist. It can be found in the chapter on False Memory.

Can’t see that chapter or anything called sleep test

Maybe two books with a similar name

Is yours by Andy L?

Do you have any idea what page number?
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Ok

Page 85

Thanks
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
There is also a window test in that chapter but I like the sleep test better. And it is indeed the book by Andy Luttrell.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Special user
UK
991 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
The croissant affair - Bruce Bernstein - unreal - the whole audience is involved as you eliminate them down to one

Colin McLeods takes on mental epic in his divine book.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2553 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn’t heard of Psychology for the Mentalist so thanks for that reference..... I’m not really looking for anything that eliminates people though....I’m interested in ideas that create possible procedures that remain inclusive for the entire audience throughout, rather than procedures that eliminate some of the audience as part of the process. In other words things that everyone can participate in that they will find odd, interesting and unexpected in the way the examples I gave in the OP do.

Thanks again for the suggestions so far. Any more are very welcome. Smile
Neal Austin

Lemniscate
View Profile
Inner circle
2203 Posts

Profile of Lemniscate
In that case, think about the Patrick Kuffs' Color/Newspaper prediction thing from Banachek's Psychological Subtleties books (#2 I believe but I could be wrong).

I think it hits everything you've said above. I have used it a few times and plan on using it more myself.

Best,
Lem

Edit: This differs a bit from the exact examples you give but I think meets some of the other criteria regarding participation, acting as a warm up, and being unexpected (also, no elimination steps). I don't do the newspaper prediction myself, I make it just a normal kind of prediction.
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
Mac King has the audience singing "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands." before he comes on.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2553 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Thanks Lemniscate... I appreciate the input and reference.... I’ll look that up when I get home from my current gig. Smile
Neal Austin

Lemniscate
View Profile
Inner circle
2203 Posts

Profile of Lemniscate
Mind Opener. PS2, p. 40. Apparently using colors is only from Banachek’s note at the end. Which is good because you can see how the objects in question can be used in different ways. You can even use the approach to “predict” how people react/perform to items like those you mention. Example: predicting whole audience Stroop test results (e.g., “18 people will get red right, but only 9 will get blue right”).
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3740 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Every single show for years...my opening effect has been my version of Bob Cassidy’s brilliant Major Effect. Once you’ve studied it and intimately understand how it works, and why it works...once you master presenting it, there is nothing - and I mean nothing - that is a more powerful way to take command of an audience and whet their appetite for the show to come.

It’s not an easy effect to do well...but I’m convinced that this (and the thinking behind it) was one of the greatest gifts Cassidy left to the community.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2553 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Thanks David. Hopefully I’ll find this in one of the Art of Mentalism books when I get home. If it’s elsewhere could you give me a reference.

Many thanks.
Neal Austin

Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1820 Posts

Profile of Lior
The mobile opener involves all the audience.
I am using for many many years.
It’s free now for everyone that bought the Selfie Card Trick
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Invisble touches , spoon bending, PK combinations
8 loops from Yigal Mesika http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8161

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1190 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Menta-List Pro/Ultimate. Tics all your boxes and adds several more. I use it every single show I do.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8298 Posts

Profile of funsway
An Exchange of Mind

Everyone has had an experience of knowing what another person was about to say. or being surprised when another person “speaks you mind” just ahead of you. Chance? Well maybe. There is also the possibility that you are reading each other’s mind in a simple way – perhaps similar to how early man communicated before language evolved.

Have you ever changed you mind at the last moment before making a critical decision? How about an exchange of ideas with a friend in which you accepted their opinion just because you trusted them? Have you ever heard a new idea and instantly knew it, “made sense” with little evidence to support it? Yes – you are telepathic a wee bit, just like everyone else.

Let me demonstrate just how easy it is for willing people to exchange ideas. First, an example. Say you love chocolate ice cream and never try any other kind. A close friend admits to loving strawberry over anything else. Since you respect their opinion on other things you agree to try Strawberry and they to dive into chocolate. You discover that you love strawberry and soon eat nothing else. You friend does the same with chocolate. Eventually you cannot even remember why you liked chocolate or even what it tastes like.

Now, you physically did not exchange anything. You swapped a concept of what good ice cream means. You memory gradually changed to reflect the new bias and you now automatically reach for strawberry. That is what we are going to experiment with – and exchange of ides so powerful that you forget what came before.

EFFECT: The performer takes out a stack of notepaper, business cards or a Post-it Note pad and a marker. A spectator on the right side of the group writes a simple number like “34” on the top sheet. He shows this to a couple of people on the left side telling then to hold the image of that number in the forefront of their mind without ponding the significance of it. The sheet is torn off and placed face down on the table.

The performer now writes a different number on the pad and shows it to a couple of people on the right side and give the same instructions. This sheet is torn off and placed on the table. The selected people stand facing each other. Everyone is reminded that those on the right saw the performer’s number, while those on the left saw the volunteer’s number.

The two sheets on the table are now swapped in position. Each person is asked to focus on the new slip of paper and focus on the importance of what they are doing – forging a long- term memory of the event. They will lose the memory of the first number and pick up mental clues as to the one lost from the other side. The slips are picked up and shown to the people in the center but not to the volunteers. On a count of three every volunteer shouts out the number in their mind.

Naturally, they match the new number originally seen only on the other side. They will not be able to remember how they knew of the new number – it just came to them.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8298 Posts

Profile of funsway
Repeated for a 2016 post on volunteer selection

The Hand of Magic

I did not know there was going to a magician at the Assisted Living Center – just took my neighbor to see her Ma. Turns out there was a celebration of some sort with lots of visitors, family as well as residents. I thought of how difficult it might be to “know your audience” in such a setting and pondered on which effects I might perform. Thus, my interest in this unknown guy was more than trickery and presentation.
He performed mostly traditional effects with lots of color and laugher, perhaps trying to rekindle a memory or two of past loved wonders and mystery. The audience was small enough for half-dollar sized coins and his Coins to Glass effect was well received by everyone. Then he did something quite unexpected and miraculous.
He said, “I know – you know – that there is magic in each of you – that what you enjoy is meeting my magic with your own magic deep inside. I am going to need the help of someone who would like to have their own magic emerge – not as an Assistant, but one who will perform a bit of magic for us all to appreciate. How many would be willing to do some magic? Please raise your hands.
Amazing! Thank you. Now, I am going to ask that each of you extend that raised hand in front of you, palm open. Turn it downward as if placing your hand gently on the head of a troubled child. Now upwards as if gathering raindrops. Close your hand quickly – did you catch one? No – don’t look, just enjoy the experience. Please imagine that instead of a raindrop you captured an invisible coin. Place your hand over your heart like this so that the “eyes of heart” can see as well – get your feelings involved. Use your mind alone to sense what that coin is like – its size, color, weight and value. Don’t squeeze too tightly or allow it to fly away. You don’t have to see it to know that it is there.
If your neighbor could describe your magic coin you are destined to be a Mentalist. If they can tell of the coins history you are destined to be a story-teller. If you can change that invisible coin into a solid coin for all to see you are destined to be a conjuror. If you can do all three you may be a wizard. Who is willing to describe their coin to me?”
Several volunteers dropped their hands during his directions and other opened their hands to see what was there. Four people still held their hands over their heart like ancient Romans paying tribute. Each of these described their cherished coin. One gave details of a golden coin and was directed to hold his extended hand over the performer’s and allow the coin to drop on his empty palm. Suddenly an actual gold coin appeared, was shown to all and gifted to the volunteer. Another was given a basket of mixed coins and told to drop their coin inside to join the others. A second said she could feel the coin grow warm but could not describe it. She was given a large wood tray to hold. The third was told to place his coin in his pocket to later gift to another person in need of inspiration – and then to stand at the magician’s right side.
The effect that followed is of little importance, save that the Volunteer entertained everyone with amazing magic in which the magician served as Assistant to the Volunteer. I was too busy reflecting on the question, “How does one find a perfect Volunteer?” or “Do you make them?” Either way, it is magical.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1548 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Thanks for sharing that!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11434 Posts

Profile of John C
This is an effect that makes the audience the mind readers. Seems that this is what Mentalists ask for so here is one of my favorites. I have never seen this type of routine in print (not that it's any great shakes!), not that I've read everything that's been printed. And, this routine is not for everyone. It should be. It's easy and packs a punch.

Begin with doing the KNOW thing, you know, write the word KNOW on a piece of paper and "send" it to an audience member, ask them if they received it. They say NO!

"Oh, great I think you will do."

Get them onstage, maybe do a Larry Becker Flashback thing. or, make a joke
like,
"You remind me of a hilarious story!" Don't say anything else. When they say ... "Well, are you going to tell us?" Say, "Not in front of all these people." It may not be funny when you read it but try it. It may not be funny then either. Anyway ...

Get another spec on stage. Hand them a different book. Have spec one pick page ## in the Flashback book or use your favorite f##r#e to get to a particular (forced!) page in the second book.

Have them look at the last word on the page, or the first word, doesn't matter. Get them to look at a word, you know how to do it.
Bring out a large frame. A picture frame. The bigger the better. You'll know why in a minute. In the frame there is a certificate. Without showing the back of the frame to the audience, or anyone for that matter, read the certificate out loud. A bunch of mumbo jumbo about being an ESP expert etc etc. Now agree to give the spec a certificate if they can successfully transmit their
thoughts to the audience.

"Matter of fact since you are the only one that knows the word let's start with that."

That's what you say.

Tell the audience to remain quiet as this demonstration requires concentration and focus for the spec as he/she most likely has never done this before.

Tell the spec to think of the first letter in the word and transmit it to someone in the audience. Have the spec pick the person who they wish to send the letter to. When they pick the person "oh, that guy in the red?" use the hand that is holding the frame to point to the audience member while displaying the backside of the frame to the chosen one and the audience.

They all see the word on the back. Get it? Do this with each letter then have the spec pick someone to reveal the entire word.

Finally, turn the frame over to gesture the spec to place the book on the back of the frame. At this time he/she sees the word printed on the back of the frame and laughs, then punches you out.

So, pick someone smaller than you.

No, seriously, this is fun, funny, and a mystery to everyone.

My frame is rather large. This makes the word very visible. The last thing you want is for the audience to not see the word. That wouldn't make good theater.

My frame is a bit larger than an 8.5 x 11 picture frame. In the frame is a "Mind Reading Certificate" I made up on my computer. On the back of the frame is a big white poster board with the word: HEMISPHERES written on it in red marker outlined in black. (whatever colors etc doesn't matter!) I use the word HEMISPHERES. Any word will do I suppose.

John Cesta

PS: Wear a big ring that night as various audience members will want to kiss it later!

copyright 2003
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2019, David Thiel wrote:
Every single show for years...my opening effect has been my version of Bob Cassidy’s brilliant Major Effect. Once you’ve studied it and intimately understand how it works, and why it works...once you master presenting it, there is nothing - and I mean nothing - that is a more powerful way to take command of an audience and whet their appetite for the show to come.

It’s not an easy effect to do well...but I’m convinced that this (and the thinking behind it) was one of the greatest gifts Cassidy left to the community.

David

David, I've always associated the immortal Bob Cassidy's phrase "Major Effect" as a type of effect (versus Minor Effect). Is there an actual effect with that name, or am I just misreading what you've written.

Thanks!

Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Getting the entire audience involved (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL