The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Getting the entire audience involved (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2553 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Mr Mindbender, I was wondering the same thing. I’ll be home tomorrow and have access to my books but in the meantime a search to find out more info on; ‘Major Effect’, hasn’t turned anything up. 🤔

More thanks to all those who have made posts above. They have helped provide some useful ideas.

In particular, the use of psychological forces with the entire audience is an avenue that I think has great potential for the piece currently under development. 😎
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
Yes, psychological forces with the entire audience is a safe way to go.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3740 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Bob’s idea was that a Major Effect involved a large number of people. He wrote about it here in he Café as well as in his books. It’s elegant but again takes practice to do
properly. Well worth the search and the work. There is also a You Tube clip of Bob performing it.

The effect needs to be studied and worked on in order to get it right. Nuance, confidence and timing are critical.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
"Deep Sea Digits" from Lee Earle's Syzygy is how I open my act. It works well getting everybody involved, while warming up not only the audience but seems to be how I warm myself up, in front of them.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3133 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
This routine has a lot of audience involvement:

clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
To elaborate on David's post, according to Bob, a major effect involves "everyone or potentially everyone in the audience". So, Q&A qualifies as a major effect because up until roughly the end of the routine everyone thinks they might be next to be read, and everyone thus feels potentially involved. Something like Tossed Out Deck, however, does not qualify as a major effect because a few audience members are clearly selected to participate and then the effect continues with just those participants, such that the rest of the audience knows that they are not personally involved in the effect. A lot of people seem to have misconstrued Bob's term to think that any effect that involves more than a couple people counts as a major effect, and that's not the case according to Bob.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9258 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Nice clarification. I never understood why this was so tough to understand. Once again I think many seem to want to adapt it to what they want it to mean or their own context.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2553 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
It was talked about within this thread as if it was a specific effect when in it is an idea or concept. That's the only confusion as far as I can see.
Neal Austin

Waters.
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Waters.
My “Symphony” effect is a “Major Effect” for American-English oriented audiences. The entire audience concentrates on a nursery rhyme tune and ends with the entire audience humming the same tune in symphony (hence the name). It is the opener I use.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2553 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I'd like to see this Sean. It sounds like a really interesting effect.

Unfortunately I've only seen this effect performed once before and it was a complete and utter car crash.Smile I have no idea if the version I saw was exactly that of your 'Symphony'. It was, however, just as you describe only with theme tunes rather than nursery rhymes and it was performed by one of mentalism's better known performers (not Derren) who was otherwise excellent.
Neal Austin

Waters.
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Hello Sealegs,

May I (humbly) state that mine is extremely reliable, but must be done with nursery rhymes. So, I am positive it was not my effect that you mentioned. Mine is based upon American-English oriented nursery rhymes, so would not be applicable elsewhere, but this absolutely works. I would love to know more about the one that did not though. Recently, Café user “Marklock” used this as an opener as well. It is my understanding he performed this in his last two stage performances. It worked perfectly for him as well.

I will PM you as to not heist the thread any further.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
marklock
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of marklock
Sean. You are correct. Performed this three times now to groups over 150 in size to great effect. Thanks for sharing Symphony!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Getting the entire audience involved (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL