The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wylie Coyote, "Super Genius" vs Road Runner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Any cartoon fans out there? Specifically talking about Coyote and Road Runner, what was your favorite Coyote experiment/failure?

I loved the Acme Earthquake Pills, where he shook and rumbled so violently that he finally ends up destroying just about everything!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I always liked the unicycle with the rockets on the spokes.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I was a big fan of the "Bat man" costume. I also learned NOT to buy anything made by ACME.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Here's a fun story. When Chuck Jones took a family vacation to Arizona, he saw a real life roadrunner zipping around the sand and immediately got the idea for the cartoon. When he got back to the studios, the producer, Leon Schlesinger (sp?), thought it was crap and nixed the idea right there in his office. So Jones and a few others began to work on the first Roadrunner/Coyote cartoon in secret after hours. It took them 3 months! When it was done, Jones found some film canisters with some other cartoon in it getting ready to ship out to theatres. And he switched 'em! So all across the country, people were watching a contraband cartoon! Needless to say, the cartoon was a hit, and because kharma is a wicked mistress, later that year, Leon (the producer) accepted the Acadamy Award for the cartoon.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm a cartoon nerd.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Hmmm, I love when Wile E. Coyote, Supra Genius paints the cliff face like a train tunnel and is nailed by the train coming out of it. Great stuff.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2004-05-11 12:05, Firedice27 wrote:
Here's a fun story. When Chuck Jones took a family vacation to Arizona, he saw a real life roadrunner zipping around the sand and immediately got the idea for the cartoon. When he got back to the studios, the producer, Leon Schlesinger (sp?), thought it was crap and nixed the idea right there in his office. So Jones and a few others began to work on the first Roadrunner/Coyote cartoon in secret after hours. It took them 3 months! When it was done, Jones found some film canisters with some other cartoon in it getting ready to ship out to theatres. And he switched 'em! So all across the country, people were watching a contraband cartoon! Needless to say, the cartoon was a hit, and because kharma is a wicked mistress, later that year, Leon (the producer) accepted the Acadamy Award for the cartoon.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm a cartoon nerd.

Thanks for the great anecdote, Fire! I really loved that little story. The point was that Chuck listened to his GUT instinct, and was sooooooo right, as we all know, and the rest is cartoon history!

How many times have you heard similar stories where people couldn't see a million dollar idea, or a future super star when it practically hit them in the face?

Hey, I'm a cartoon nerd, too. Gotta have my toons!

Close minded is a terrible thing, indeed.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
If you have a favorite ACME product, you can probably find it at the The ORIGINAL Illustrated Catalog Of ACME Products. Enjoy!
whitelephant
View Profile
New user
Jerusalem
97 Posts

Profile of whitelephant
"Catch unruly hares in a hurry with the ACME Strait-Jacket Ejecting Bazooka"

LOL What a GREAT link!

On the topic, Monkeys!

Wait Firedice already used that answer in another topic-

Anything with a magnet! or propeller.
drink water...
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I get a kick out of the spring gag. You know, when his whole body gets trapped inside ths spring, and the springs fate thus becomes his. "Genius! Sheer genius!!"

The spring gag is a close cousin to the accordian gag. You know the one. Coyote gets bonked on the head with a giant boulder, boulder bounces off (laws of cartoon physics in action) and as genius walks away, he is seen to be perfectly mimicking the action of an accordian, accompanied, of course by the proper accordian noises.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Many great images from that series of cartoons. From painted tunnels to shot filled birdseed.

And from plummeting down a cliff to that wonderful moment in a shack on the train tracks where the coyote sees the train coming and pulls down the shade.

Chuck Jones was special.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Here's another one similar to the Jones story. When William Hanna and Joe Barbara were told to come up with a new cartoon series for MGM studios, they almost got fired on the spot for coming up with yet another cat and mouse cartoon. Everyone told them it would fail horribly. So they nixed it. Then Hanna decided to bring in a live cat and live mouse and set them loose in the producers office. Of course, the little critter ran all over the place in their chase. Everyone had a good laugh, but the producer wondered what the point was. Hanna then looks at him and said, "Now imagine if the cat had a lawnmower." And just like that, Tom & Jerry went down in history.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
To quote Wile, again: "Genius! Sheer genius!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wylie Coyote, "Super Genius" vs Road Runner (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL