The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » What do you do with all of your magic Instructions (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Bill, you are so right. I am at the age now where I am working with my wife to simplify our lives as we grow closer to retirement. I have quite a few collections including some coins, stamps, comics, toys, and even knives...none of which need any further documentation to enable them to be sold. My magic collection...like everyone's...is different. Without instructions or in some cases provenance or COA's (certificate of authenticity), the value of the prop can be greatly reduced. And you are spot on regarding hoping our families will know how to connect the dots.

Much of my magic is stored in its original packaging with the instructions included. For my older props, which is the majority of my collection, I've organized my instructions in file boxes, in acid free sleeves. They are filed alphabetically by effect title...and Bill is so correct. This system means absolutely zero to anyone not familiar with vintage magic props. I may as well have invented my own language and filed the props using Ozish, my new language that no one will ever be able to understand.

So, I'm thinking I need to numerically pair my instructions with my loose props. I can use small stickers that affix to the back of each prop, and link to instructions labeled with the same number. Simple. And the instructions will stored alphabetically by trick name, but the number of where they are ordered in the file, will be recorded on the back of the prop.

Of course, I realize this plan is based on my current collection, and not taking into concern future purchases which will disrupt the order. So, I'm thinking I may need a sub-category besides the instruction number, e.g. Item 53A.

I'm just riffing here, as I find myself looking at my magic room, which quite literally looks like Dumbledore's office, and wondering how the heck I'm going to have my family make any sense of it? Working that out will be truly magical.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1556 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I keep an inventory of all my magic props, gimmicks, DVDS, instructions in a database I wrote using FileMaker Pro.
FMP is cross platform and can be used in both Windows and Macs. I customized it just for my magic collection.
I also use another for my home videos going back to 1979. 80 VHS, 45 - 8 mm tapes and many digital files.

The magic database is an inventory of almost all my stuff and where it is being stored. I have 18 different bins and cases and boxes.
Each item includes which binder the instructions are in or the file path if it’s on a computer or location of DVD.
Also, date of purchase, price, seller, my proficiency with the trick, children or adult, category such as card, silk, levitation, etc.
I store this database on my Mac. But my IPad gets updated automatically when changes or additions are made.
If I make a substantial amount of changes I print it out. Also each box or bin has a printout taped to the outside listing what is in that box.
It’s a lot of time to do this but it works for me.
Besides, I’m retired and have the time..
Ihor
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
205 Posts

Profile of pattrick
I have a shoebox.
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » What do you do with all of your magic Instructions (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL