The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Terminology (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

adrianrbf
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
20 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
What is the difference between a gimmick, a prop and a gaff?

And while we're at it: What is the difference between a trick and a routine? It seems to me that a trick is more the principle, while a routine is the whole choreography, so to speak... but is this correct?
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
173 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
I really want Dick Oslund to answer this!! I'll pm him!
And ... I don't even know what I'm talking about.
But I've practiced magic for two years.
Smile
Wx4usa
View Profile
New user
Magician Trainee 3rd Class
98 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2019, HeronsHorse wrote:
I really want Dick Oslund to answer this!! I'll pm him!

You're right, Dicks the best. Go to the post and scroll to Dick Oslund's posts on the topics. Https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=41
-Hal in Alabama USA
The real magic is making someone's day brighter and turning their frown upside down.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7923 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
That thread won't help adrianbf much. Most of the posters treated the thread as a JOKE. Most of those who treated it as a serious question, didn't know what they were talking about.

If I have time, when I'm not getting the radiation treatments, I'll try to write him.

I'm losing interest in posting.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
173 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Those people aren't fit to lick your shoes, Dick.
Who the hell are they to comment on you personally? It's pathetic.
I got sick of muppets like that here, throwing insults back n forth, turning every thread into a contest, within the first week. It is so puerile. Made me reconsider staying but I found people like yourself and decided to stay.
Please don't succumb to their provocation.
They are not worth it.
Best to give your advice, like always, and if any provocateurs start their nonsense just refuse to be drawn. Speak to others in the thread whilst ignoring the existence of the insolent moronic ones.
Works a treat;)
And ... I don't even know what I'm talking about.
But I've practiced magic for two years.
Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7923 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Paul! Thanks for your thinking!!

Thinking it over, I've been trying to "smarten up chumps"!

At my age, and with my health concerns, I'm wasting time trying to "convince/convert & explain" the fundamentals to those who can't distinguish between opinions and facts, especially when they haven't done their homework!

I'll PM the Adrian from Switzerland, today!
Wravyn
View Profile
Special user
997 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I too find Dick's experience and knowledge useful. Thank you.

Dick, I shall keep you in thoughts and prayers with your health concerns.
Wx4usa
View Profile
New user
Magician Trainee 3rd Class
98 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Another way of thinking of all this terminology stuff could be this… a trick or gimmick may be what comes in a package. And magic is what happens when you pull off the performance of the effect after lots of practice by following the instructions to a tee and turning it into a routine by adding your patter, personality, showmanship perhaps stringing several 'tricks or effects' together and making it entertaining. Your performance is flawless, second nature and instinctive. Your choreographed routine is therefore surprising, catches someone totally off guard and causes them to smile and say, ”Wow!” .....That’s magic!

There is an awful lot going on in that scenario. Almost any one of those things that goes awry and it’s not so magical after all. Practice makes perfect. This is why magicians that are really really awesome will tell you they’ve done it thousands of times and can do it blindfolded.
-Hal in Alabama USA
The real magic is making someone's day brighter and turning their frown upside down.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7923 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
I too find Dick's experience and knowledge useful. Thank you.

Dick, I shall keep you in thoughts and prayers with your health concerns.

Thanks for the kind words, and, especially thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

It's very inspirational to know that others whom I've never met, are concerned enough to pray for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Terminology (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL