The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Last orders : book test and q& a (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mystery
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Mystery
Eugene Burger once said that there comes a point when a magician knows so many tricks that he'll drown if he keeps on learning more of them...
That you need to work on the tricks you already know...
I think - for me - that this is true...
I'm now puzzling with the effects in my repertoire... I create acts - at least I try...
But to make the act a coherent whole, I need two more pieces - a booktest and a q&a act.
So I ask you : can you recommend effects of that kind ?
FOr booktest I use Hoy's bold, but I don't want to use it in a formal situation...
For Q&a I know about Osterlind's thoughtscan, but it doesn't fit me...
So advice on those two types of effects would be appreciated...
Thanks in advance,
Let your dreams tear apart your life, before your life tears apart your dreams...
glenn collins
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of glenn collins
For a book test I use the Key, very comprehensive set of effects with a three book set, worth every £. For an impromptu book test I have been known to utilize the AAA test as performed by Mark Paul on his DVD although I also have a few strategically placed "Gimmicked" books on my book case that I can fore when the situation calls.
For question and answer I just resort to good old fashioned cold reading, and perform a psychic medium style routine.
the road we travel is lined with beauty but as with all roads, mind the pot holes...
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Ted Lesley's Booktest (on his CabaretMindreading DVD) is easy, but requires a prepared book. Kuff's Book Test 4 Dummies (on his Mind Stunts DVD) is extrememly simple, but not repeatable (whether you should repeat a book test is the subject for another thread), and may not lend itself to formal situations. My favorite is Richard Busch's Paper-Backed Thought Projection (in his book Peek Performances).

For Q&A, I recommend you get Lee Earle's video Q&A Teach-In. It's a video recording of a lecture Earle gave on Q&A. He covers the basics, several methods for Q&A with pros and cons for each, and presentational tips.
:pepper:
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Ungimmicked Book Tests I use: Alain Nu's from Labyrinth, Hoy, some from Peek Performances

Gimmicked: Nothing is better than the Mother of all Book Tests. I also use Ultimate Flashback.

Slightly "gimmicked": Becker's Ace Revisited (from Stunners Plus), I don't remember the name but ted karmilvich published a really nice one in Magick using a bookmark.

Q&A: Besides the Lee Earle tech-in, get John Riggs' books on the subject. Almost all of his book deals with some aspect of Q&A. Lee Earle also has a few e-books or his "MIND" book with Sun Signs and SuperScript. Osterlind has a nice alternative to thoughscan called very modern mindreader. Then of course thereare the classics in Annemann and Corinda.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
A very simple, clean, and highly effective option for a Q&A is in Millard Longman ’s manuscript for his Acidus Novus. The handling and the subtelties are great.
justforeffect
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
153 Posts

Profile of justforeffect
Marc Paul's AAA book test is definitely worth looking into - if presented correctly it is easily the best impromptu book test I have ever come across.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
You May like to consider Val Andrews Unfaked Book Test. Details from Ian Rowland's website.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I would like to add my thoughts on this. The Master Key is an excellent book test but just did not fit well with me. I have found more personnal experience with the Flashback books and all of their derivatives. MOAB is also an excellent work but should really be restricted to workers. Note I said WORKERS not pros. I believe it is a waste of your money and a waste of the routine if you are not going to use it.

As to Q&A, I wish I could help, but I do not have any experience with this routine.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Mystery
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Mystery
Thanks... You are very helpful .
Let your dreams tear apart your life, before your life tears apart your dreams...
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1340 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I second kinesis regarding the Val Andrews book test, even though some think it seems a bit transparent. While Val's handling is admittedly rather weak, the Rogers addition really improves it, and when you receive it you should PM Howard (hkwiles) for his method, which virtually perfects it, IMHO.

Once you've learned the method, spend some time pondering and you will come up with some excellent ways to disguise the secret even more, for instance, I'm thinking of a little addition with a swami gimmick that will distract people a bit and add more amazement. For $10 USD it is an excellent value.

Plus Val is a lovely man to correspond with -- in addition to a personally autographed copy, he even answered, at length, a question I asked about one of his Sherlock Holmes books that I had recently read ("Sherlock Holmes and the Egyptian Hall Adventure" specifically, which I highly recommend! If anyone has read his "Baker Street Ghost" please PM me).

Just send him the few bucks or pounds that it costs, and then play around with it to find a method that suits you (and PM hkwiles). I'd bet that when Ian Rowland performs it, he does it in a manner that's not exactly out of the booklet... Smile

Seth
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
http://members.aol.com/MagicDan/docs/cra......K%20TEST

this is a great book test with the correct patter. 100% inpromtu

I use it and always blow people away...... only do it once mind. then sit down and appear smug.
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
Might I modestly suggest you consider my new Z-Scan product for a perfect solution to your Q&A issue?

For info click on banner at top of forum or go right to: http://64.78.48.77/zscan/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Last orders : book test and q& a (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL