The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memorizing Anagrams (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
Hello everybody,
While I have been doing mentalism for some time now, I tended to stay away from anagrams. However, recently, I decided that I would start using anagrams and have decided to purchase a couple books on anagrams. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for memorizing them?

Thanks,
K
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1734 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
K:

I hope you get more advanced advice than this, but I can share from my modest experience:

Go over and over it the first day or two.

Every day thereafter, go over it several times each day until you can recall it at will.

After that, review it daily, and several times before each performance, to keep it salient in your memory,.

In my experience, the process is relatively easy--but not quick.

George
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I love using anagrams, but I find it much more difficult using anagrams that other people have developed. So, I take the basic effect and customize the words used to create my own anagram. That process helps me memorize it all very quickly. Obviously, that doesn't help if there is a specific anagram effect you want to learn, but when you can customize a list, I'd highly recommend doing that.
TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
Thanks for the tips guys! Appreciate it.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2260 Posts

Profile of ddyment
My advice to people learning Sign Language is this:

First, people have different styles of learning, so what works well for one may not fare so well with another.

What I did was take a dozen blank business cards, oriented portrait style. On each one I printed, from the top edge down, the responses to the various questions that could be asked for a specific sign. At the bottom, I printed the name of the sign.

To practice, I shuffled the cards, face down, and randomly removed one, using the remaining stack to cover its face. Then I would try to correctly determine the sign by asking the appropriate questions as the answers are revealed one at a time.

Mr. Mindbender's advice has considerable merit. The problem with it is that many people think they know how to construct a deceptive (so-called) "branching anagram", but all they really know how to do is construct a working one. There is a world of difference between the two. Unless you are making careful use of the three techniques to hide "no" answers, you are basically building something that appears remarkably like a game of "Hangman".
"Calculated Thoughts" now at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Yes, that is very true. There’s a real art to making it deceptive! Doug’s Sign Language is a terrific example of how to do it well!
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
692 Posts

Profile of Waters.
... while this won’t help with not looking like a performance of hangman, one thing I do is write out the anagram in outline form, but only use the first letters. This forces me to separate learning the structure from learning the words. Learn the letters outline for the structure first, then learn the world that goes with each letter. This should help.
Check out my (soon to be released) ebook, WANDERER at..
www.experience-architecture.com
Dr Ross
View Profile
Regular user
Lincoln, UK
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Ross
I've found turning the letters and words into a story (akin to a mnemonic system) to be very helpful. Pete Turner and Phill Smith advise this also in some of their work.

- Ross
Ross Bartels

Author of:
'Janken' (propless RPS effects) and 'Tacitus'
TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
Thanks guys for the tips! I also found a technique called a “memory palace” which seems interesting.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12222 Posts

Profile of John C
It may be easy to get it down but unless you use it frequently it may go bye bye under pressure.

my experience.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1032 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I have work on this in my books “Palm Star” and “Pillars of Destiny”.

I highly recommend starting by learning a mnemonic peg system. But even the basic mnemonic techniques in 13 steps will work for some of this. When developing a mnemonic remember that dramatic things will stick in your memory best. So create visual images that you might not want others to know about if you get what I mean.

I have a few ways of finding out a zodiac sign but when I use the anagram version each leg of the process has two outcomes that I visually link in my mind with the letter. For example, if they say No to the letter I, I see an I in my mind and that eye is the eye of a bull (Taurus) and then I see that eye violently being plucked out by a crab (Cancer). So I easily remember that Cancer and Taurus are the signs with no I. Do this with each step of whatever Anagram you are locking into your memory palace (there’s another can of worms to study) and so many things become easier.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2019, Matt Pulsar wrote:
I have work on this in my books “Palm Star” and “Pillars of Destiny”.

I highly recommend starting by learning a mnemonic peg system. But even the basic mnemonic techniques in 13 steps will work for some of this. When developing a mnemonic remember that dramatic things will stick in your memory best. So create visual images that you might not want others to know about if you get what I mean.

I have a few ways of finding out a zodiac sign but when I use the anagram version each leg of the process has two outcomes that I visually link in my mind with the letter. For example, if they say No to the letter I, I see an I in my mind and that eye is the eye of a bull (Taurus) and then I see that eye violently being plucked out by a crab (Cancer). So I easily remember that Cancer and Taurus are the signs with no I. Do this with each step of whatever Anagram you are locking into your memory palace (there’s another can of worms to study) and so many things become easier.

Palm star looks interesting. About how surefire is it?
Thanks,
K
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1032 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
There is a learning curve, so you need to know your signs and roughly when they happen in the year first. There is a mnemonic explained in the book to help aid in this memory. Once you have that, the format gets it down to two signs while casually chatting or giving a reading. So it's sure fire down to two signs, and then there are options on how you discern between the last two. It take practice, but once you have the practice down, you are not going to miss. It's designed for versatility but it's not an anagram. I do also still use the anagram method, and I highly recommend Peter Turners Video on it put out on Penguin.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memorizing Anagrams (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL