The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Learning faro shuffle (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I go from bottom to top, on the corners.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
It took me about 3 months to learn. I think it was a mixture of Michael Close and Harry Lorayne. The real big thing for me was when I realised you don’t push the packets into each other. You slide them against each other. Just a 1mm slide and they melt into each other. 3 months practicing while watching tv in the evenings. I don’t even think about it. If you get a new bicycle deck that won’t faro straight away just faro face up. They will work fine and then after about 10 faros they will faro face down also. Faros need a very light touch. Don’t force them.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
P.s. The routine I wanted to learn it for was Paul Gordon’s Anything Aces which I still use to this day. Love that routine. You don’t need a perfect faro to perform it either. Just a half decent straddle faro.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Paul Gordon’s Anything Aces is great! Thanks for your tips! stickmondoo.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
Einmaliger
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
199 Posts

Profile of Einmaliger
Here's another vote for Michael Close's e-book: I have struggled with the perfect Faro for years, literally! Tried to learn it and make it work using not only the well-known descriptions by Lorayne and Giobbi, but also the Faro material from "Revolutionary Card Technique". I was never able to do it reliably, got very frustrated, but kept on trying on and off for a long time.

Michael's e-book turned out to be a real game changer for me. Purchased it a few weeks ago, and after doing the steps exactly as described, I couldn't believe how easy and relaxed the whole procedure felt - no more fighting with the cards, just letting them do the work themselves. Kept working on it, and just last Friday I was able to do 16 perfect Faros in a row for the first time with a brand new Tally-ho deck. What a great feeling after having failed for such a long time.

So - a heartfelt recommendation for that book.
Tweed
View Profile
New user
Knoxville, Tn
8 Posts

Profile of Tweed
I'm new back to magic so take my comment with a grain of salt, but...after reading these comments, I grabbed a Richard Turner Batty deck because I figured his quality is going to be good even with those. I had been getting really close to splitting the decks perfectly in half with regular bikes and am pretty consistently 1-2 cards off. When I tried with the Batty deck, the results were amazing and immediate. Cutting the deck in half is no issue and even cutting those halves into halves. My Faro is non existent at this point, but the difference in quality of cards is amazing.
scottvraneshfallin
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
56 Posts

Profile of scottvraneshfallin
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2019, Einmaliger wrote:
Here's another vote for Michael Close's e-book: I have struggled with the perfect Faro for years, literally! Tried to learn it and make it work using not only the well-known descriptions by Lorayne and Giobbi, but also the Faro material from "Revolutionary Card Technique". I was never able to do it reliably, got very frustrated, but kept on trying on and off for a long time.

Michael's e-book turned out to be a real game changer for me. Purchased it a few weeks ago, and after doing the steps exactly as described, I couldn't believe how easy and relaxed the whole procedure felt - no more fighting with the cards, just letting them do the work themselves. Kept working on it, and just last Friday I was able to do 16 perfect Faros in a row for the first time with a brand new Tally-ho deck. What a great feeling after having failed for such a long time.

So - a heartfelt recommendation for that book.

It really is one terrific book. I just re-read it for the second time and my Faro is even more consistent now. I'm pleased as punch.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
My good friend Jeremy Griffith has some input on the Faro. You can check it out HERE:
https://youtu.be/AGGIC3K-EF0
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
279 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
I have been working on/practicing faro shuffles. I am almost there, I can consistently get an 85%-95% faro but seem to have hit a wall in achieving a perfect faro. I know that part of the secret is to have two piles of 26 cards before attempting the faro. Whenever I separate the pack I am almost always off by 1-3 cards. How do I eyeball two equal packets of 26 cards every time? I’m assuming the answer is “keep practicing”, which I can accept. But in case I’m missing something, I’m asking anyways.

Some observations, I welcome comments - I’m noticing quite a bit of variation in how well decks faro. I would say don’t even bother trying to faro a cheap deck. Bees faro great. Bikes are OK, but I find that I often have to faro new bikes face up. After a while I can faro a new deck of bikes face down, but the face up faro is almost always better. There also seems to be a faro sweet spot in the life of a deck, after which faros get kind of iffy. By far the best deck I have for faros is a plastic Royal deck, but plastic cards aren’t good for magic and flashy shuffles raise eyebrows in card games.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Just to reiterate– there are two ways that cards can be cut. 'Standard' or 'traditional'. Cards are punched either face down or face up and it makes them slightly wedge shaped in one direction or the other.

'Traditional cut' will Faro best from the faces, 'standard cut' from the backs. Most Bicycle and Phoenix decks are standard, i.e., faro starting from the backs. Bees and anything else that is explicitly 'traditional cut' faro starting with the faces.

Also, it's worth mentioning that a tabled faro is slightly counter-intuitive (for me at least). For a face down tabled faro, you need a traditional cut. I believe that's why Turner prefers traditionally cut cards, though there are probably other reasons too.

EDITED TO ADD: The new Bicycle Elites are traditional cut.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Cutting at 26 like you mentioned is just practice, over and over, and you will get more accurate. Put the same card at 26 and cut and see if you hit it and keep doing it and you will get better.
StevieP
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of StevieP
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2019, MGordonB wrote:
I have been working on/practicing faro shuffles. I am almost there, I can consistently get an 85%-95% faro but seem to have hit a wall in achieving a perfect faro. I know that part of the secret is to have two piles of 26 cards before attempting the faro. Whenever I separate the pack I am almost always off by 1-3 cards. How do I eyeball two equal packets of 26 cards every time? I’m assuming the answer is “keep practicing”, which I can accept. But in case I’m missing something, I’m asking anyways.

I find starting in new deck order and going for 8 perfect faro shuffles in a row helps. You get the confirmation that you have the right number of cards when you cut between the Kings or all red and black etc.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Over the decades sooo many have told me that they learned to do a perfect faro shuffle from my short description of same in CLOSE-UP CARD MAGIC. Not trying to sell you anything 'cause I have no copies to sell. Oh well, e-book, yes.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
nicolasmtg
View Profile
Veteran user
Argentina
378 Posts

Profile of nicolasmtg
Wow I love to see faro treads 😃.

Im a faro LOVER and I really put a LOT of work on if and on its aplications its one of my passions.

I learned the faro from alan ackerman s advanced card controls vol 6 and I can tell you its an awesome place to learn it Smile

Of course as some of you said here each of us who play with the shuffle a certain amount of time will start to develop its own corrections and adaptations of the technique and nowadays I have a technique that allows me to do it blindfolded and nail 8 perfect if I need (the cut and the weave. I don't know no one who can do that ... I know it must be some so please if some of you know em or can do it please send me a pm) so I think I can say one or two things about faro 😊 feel free to send me a pm to ask anything I will love to help 🤗
--------Magician and director at NONTRICKS.COM--------
nicolasmtg
View Profile
Veteran user
Argentina
378 Posts

Profile of nicolasmtg
If you love faro shuffle and use it in your repertoire please send me a pm so we can share 😊

Here there are some great tips like the idea of diferent CUTS in the decks ....so if you have problems with the faro ...try turning the deck face up and doing it again ... if its easier then that means that you need to find for diferent cut ( standard FU . Traditional FD ) this also depends on the type of faro shuffle you are doing ... not IN OR OUT but bottom up of top down but its way easier to find another type of deck or turn over the cards than adapt your entire technique xD

I have book on the faro called Faro Poetry you can find it here at the Café ( NEW FARO SHUFLE PROJECT ) there I talk a lot about details deck preprations diferent types of decks but mostly is about WHAT TO DO ONCE WE MASTER THIS WONDERFULL AND POETIC SHUFFLE 😊
--------Magician and director at NONTRICKS.COM--------
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Was just going over some old topics - and some years ago Jon Racherbaumer told me that he learned the faro shuffle from my book, CLOSE-UP CARD MAGIC.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Pierre Cardinlemon
View Profile
New user
Budapest, Hungary, EU
40 Posts

Profile of Pierre Cardinlemon
I've learned the Faro shuffle from the Card College, so I do it top down. Recently, I've started to practice the bottom up version described in the Revolutionary Card Technique, but I cannot do it fluently enough yet.

Marlo has written in RCT that the bottom up version is superior, but he hasn't given any explanation. What are its advantages compared to the top down?
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2019, Pierre Cardinlemon wrote:
I've learned the Faro shuffle from the Card College, so I do it top down. Recently, I've started to practice the bottom up version described in the Revolutionary Card Technique, but I cannot do it fluently enough yet.

Marlo has written in RCT that the bottom up version is superior, but he hasn't given any explanation. What are its advantages compared to the top down?

Remember, bottom-up works best with traditionally-cut cards. Top-down, therefore is easier to accomplish with the more recent method of cutting cards, which is face down. Every discussion of faro shuffles has to account for which type of deck you are talking about.

Tabled faro shuffles are made much easier with traditionally-cut cards, which help the weaving process as it is bottom-up. Many decks intended for performing magicians are now traditionally-cut. Although it is called traditional, the process of cutting cards while they are in a face-up position actually went away for the most part many years ago. When that happened, I began faro shuffling top-down. Before that it was bottom-up.

Hope that helps.

Regarding Marlo and what he said, remember that he was an expert. As such, he had thoroughly studied the subject and I'm sure had good reason to say what he did. He also was likely using cards that were traditionally-cut, so that had an influence. He was a master of tabled faros so again, bottom-up.

There are different reasons to faro. In many instances, you have to cut exactly at 26 and have a perfect faro, whether in-faro or out-faro. But in other instances, you only care about the top few cards of the pack. This comes into play in some Triumph effects and gambling demos. When you only care about the top cards, then a top-down faro would make some sense. You wouldn't have to cut at 26 and the shuffle needn't be perfect, only the cards at the top that need to be.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I read through this thread yesterday and I want to add to the chorus of people recommending Michael Close's ebook. I do a few things with cards but nothing overly knuckle-busting or complicated, and anytime in the past that I've seen the word "Faro" I immediately felt disappointed, as though I could never pull it off. Needless to say, I'd never done a single Faro shuffle in my life.

A mere thirty minutes with Michael's book, which included reading it and physically doing what he teaches, and I watched the cards practically melt together in my hands. It was shockingly easy. Knowing the proper handling (the way he teaches it, anyway) and having an understanding of what's going on, my only regret with this purchase is that I didn't make it sooner. I'm now only an hour into this but the confidence it's already built up in me is pretty astounding.

I'm sure there are people reading this who've known for years what I just discovered tonight, but if anyone is on the fence about learning to Faro, I can't recommend Michael's teaching highly enough. It's simple, the accompanying videos bring extra clarity, and it's the best 25 bucks I've spent in a very long time.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Wish I had back all the time I wasted on learning the faro shuffle....Charlie miller said,:I wish I hadn't"t spent so much time on things I never use.".......be careful how you invest your time.there are guys out there who have been doing the wrong material all their lives...
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Learning faro shuffle (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL