The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Reordering a half a stack. (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
314 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Situation check:

You've been performing with your half stacked deck and now want to return to full stack.
What's your favorite method for returning to full stack?
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1007 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Do you mean you wish to re-order the second half in front of the audience? And then go on with mem deck tricks?

If it's so, I would first I would consider not doing it at all. What I mean is that there are so many good tricks you could do with just half stack that you may end your act there (leaving them wanting for more ...), especially if you started with whole stack, performed some tricks, then shuffled half of the pack and performed tricks with it.

Anyway, if you can find a good reason to put the stacked half on the table and just use the unstacked one, a good idea can be found in Adrian Guerra's DVD and which he actually uses to order half the stack starting from a shuffled deck. And he has a pretty good reason to use only half in that occasion.

If you're familiar with the DVD, then you should easily find out what I'm referring to.
Otherwise let me know

Mark
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
314 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Thanks for the response Mark.

I am indeed familiar, and own Adrian's excellent Euphoria.
I'm mining for as many solutions/ approaches I can find, and am always interested in unique and efficient solutions.

Recently I've been toying with Hartling's The Core one out faro away from "home".

This makes the math beyond simple(1-26N-1 or 27 N+3-30) and leaves me with half my memdeck
automatically intact.

While I don't need a full memdeck or any for that matter I like having the option(and would afford
more opportunity to play with the Hartling effect on the fly).

Best,
Jed
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
314 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Of course I'm working on the problem myself. But as much as I enjoy the exercise I often find standing atop shoulders a better starting point.

Best,
Jed
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1123 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2019, JBSmith1978 wrote:
Situation check:

You've been performing with your half stacked deck and now want to return to full stack.
What's your favorite method for returning to full stack?

There's one in Tamariz' book and videos. Organically within a trick.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2494 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
The two that jump immediately to mind are Tamariz' Memory Jumble and a half deck version of A Subtle Game from Encyclopedia of Card Tricks. The former takes a little longer and guarantees everyone will think the entire deck is mixed. The latter happens more quickly but still provides a nice memory demonstration.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
aabc
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of aabc
Patrick Redford's Cast Off in Temporarily Out Of Order is very strong too.
Churken2
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Churken2
Bill Malone has an effect called Hands Off Memorized deck on his DVD set - Vol. 3. One phase of that trick has the spectator cutting off a portion of the deck and memorizing a card. You could easily incorporate this phase of his effect to solve restacking about 15 or so of the half stack you want to set up. This would be cool because the spectator restacks for you. This would only leave 10 or so cards to be completely back into full stack. You could get at least half of those cards restacked by using a non mem deck routine such as Either Or to get most of those and then finish by culling the remaining cards into position.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, South Carolina
911 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Matt Baker has some good thinking on this issue in his new book, The Buena Vista Shuffle Club. Highly recommended!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.psychiccpa.com
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
314 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Agreed!^^^

Still waiting for some stuff that steers away from memory jumble, but really proud of the inroads being made recently.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3677 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On May 17, 2019, Dr. JK wrote:
Matt Baker has some good thinking on this issue in his new book, The Buena Vista Shuffle Club. Highly recommended!

Apart Tamariz, yes, that is exactly what I wanted to recommend. And furthermore: if you are longer into MD work, you will come up quite easily with your own ideas. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Reordering a half a stack. (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL