The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Quiver Three Purse Monte (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magidave
View Profile
New user
Omaha, Nebraska
71 Posts

Profile of magidave
I would love to create the energy and tension I see on a show like “Let’s Make A Deal” using the Quiver purses. Any routines you’d recommend for any Monte type routine that you think might help me get there? So far Bruce Cervon’s Three Card Monte routine with its attempt at overt psychological manipulation is my starting place. Others?
Dave Arch
http://OmahaMagician.com
Lybrary Author Page: https://bit.ly/2ow1Onb
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Now that the quiver people have brought out a new larger wallet you could "ring one in" or just put a colored sticker on the loaded purse. I think you could have a lot of fun with this.

The only thing I would worry about is that with the shells and pea and 3 cards monte the spectators can examine the items - you could risk this with the quiver purse but I am not sure I would want so much heat on the purse by doing the monte with them. But maybe in the course of a routine, you could take some heat off them.

I can see it might be quite fun to do.
magidave
View Profile
New user
Omaha, Nebraska
71 Posts

Profile of magidave
Thanks for your input. Yes. I believe it would indeed need to be a performance piece rather than an actual scam. Then again I'm not sure the best use for the Quiver purse in the final analysis is anything other than a purse in which you carry something that is the true focus of the routine with the purse containing a prediction of some outcome using the props carried in the purse. Fun to play with routining though. Thank you again for submitting your ideas to this thread.
Dave Arch
BiggieCheeze
View Profile
New user
Dallas
11 Posts

Profile of BiggieCheeze
What a great idea. I could see showing the spectator that you place a silver coin in one purse and a copper coin in the other two purses. Then you could even toss them monte style and you would always control whether they win or lose.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
That's a nice idea, magidave ...
but 3x Quiver Purse ... expensive.

For what it's worth I use my purse to introduce the Hopping Half routine.
magidave
View Profile
New user
Omaha, Nebraska
71 Posts

Profile of magidave
I like that idea too. Thanks. Dave
Dave Arch
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I have three Quiver purses. I use one to introduce a coin for a one coin routine, and I sometimes use it to both produce and vanish a Triple Threat gimmick in its 'single coin' form. I use all three for an "I Hate Kids" type of routine, but not with kids. With adults. And you can have the adults open the purses if you want to get a little bold. I've never had anyone suspect, let alone accidentally find, the hidden part of the purse.
Here's the basics: You introduce three 'empty' coin purses, two one dollar bills and a twenty dollar bill. (I pre-fold the bills and unfold them to show them.)
The one dollar bills are going in the side of the purse that opens naturally - without engaging the gimmick. So one purse already has the $1 in it, but no $20. Keep track of that purse. That's the hardest part of the whole thing. But if you open the purses and give a glance inside, you'll know. That can be done as easily and naturally as you'd peek anything else for any other routine. For example, you could snap the purse shut after opening it, gesture while asking a question or further explaining the 'rules'; then open it again on the gimmicked side to show it empty and/or place the $20 inside.
Once the purses are loaded up - put them behind your back and shuffle them around. Or place them in a paper bag and shake them up or let the spectator shake them up. I would only recommend allowing the spectator to mix them up IF the purses are in a bag or some other enclosed item. I wouldn't let them handle them until they've made a selection, if you choose to do so at all. That's not for fear they'll open them, but just in case they try to somehow in their minds, 'mark' one of them by jamming a fingernail into the leather or something, or perhaps feel what they think/realize is more than one bill. Probably neither would occur, but I don't let them shuffle.
Once shuffled, lay the purses out in front of them and have them choose one. The prize, of course, potentially being the $20 bill. When they select one, you can open it and show the one dollar bill, or have them open it. When they open it, you can have them dump it upside down and dump the $1 out. Or you can open it and take it out, or open it and let them take it out, or let them open it and take it out. They're going to be too distracted to 'feel' the other bill, so it's probably safe to let them take it out, but I prefer to open their selected purse, show them the bill, then dump it out in their hand, showing the empty purse. I've had them open the purse - but I usually only do that if they ask if they can, or I feel it suits the spectators/situation.
However you decide to orchestrate the reveal, you can then pick up the other two purses and, engaging the gimmick, make the $20 appear in whichever one you choose. I've given them a second chance - down to 50/50. Of course, luck isn't with them that day. ("The House always wins.")
Of course, you can also conversely orchestrate a 'win' of any bill or object you choose that will fit in the purse - say for a birthday or corporate gig - in the same manner.

Here's another thing I came up with that gets both laughter and bewildered looks:
I always order the same thing at a coffee chain. I know what it costs. I put the exact change hidden in the purse. When they tell me the amount, I take out the purse and - OH NO! - point out that it's empty. No problem. This is an 'ATP'. ...An 'Automatic Teller Purse'. It's connected by Bluetooth to my bank account. All I have to do is whisper the passcode to the purse and then state the amount I need to withdraw. I tell them they can't listen while I enter my passcode; then 'whisper' some made up thing they can obviously hear, ("Rumpelstiltskin Won't Win" is a favorite I've used several times), then state the amount, right down to the penny. I tell them, "Ah...I felt the purse vibrate. That means the transfer is complete." I open the previously empty purse, pay the exact amount of the beverage and put the purse back in my pocket like everyone else in there probably no doubt has an ATP, as well, and retrieve my drink.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Quiver Three Purse Monte (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL