The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Help with Twisting the Aces (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
If someone could kindly give me some guidance, I would greatly appreciate it.

It seems that the opening moves of Twisting the Aces are 1) triple lift, 2) turn packet face up, 3) turn bottom card of packet face up and replace on bottom, 4) turn packet face up. Thus you get the starting position of (from top) face down Ace, face up Ace, face up Ace, and face down Ace.

I do not like this sequence. Can someone suggest alternate(s)?

Thanks in advance.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1176 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
First, you're going to have to tell us what you don't like about it and what you'd prefer to see in an alternative.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4274 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Anywho, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDciO3AtvpQ (If you know this version, sorry. If not, can be found on his: 'ETMCM' Vol. 2)

The patter makes sense, & I have never been caught, or questioned.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3238 Posts

Profile of warren
Take a look at The Asher Twist for an interesting and very magical variation.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
I don't like it because I think 2 and 3 look suspicious/unnatural. I'm looking for something that looks less suspect. Thanks again for any suggestions.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1312 Posts

Profile of lynnef
As Sixten says, the patter "makes sense", and is part of the trick. The Asher Twist, as a sleight, can be used for this trick and others, but you still need the patter. If you really think it "looks suspicious" when you perform it, it will look suspicious. On the other hand, isn't a lot of magic suspicious by nature? Why are we twisting the cards anyway? I perform the classic, but the Asher Twist would be worth looking into as something you might want. Lee Asher is one of the VIP's in the Café btw! Have fun! Lynn
IncantoMagic
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of IncantoMagic
I think the thing here is to justify the actions. The triple lift is fine. As you remove the top card and do the wrist kill, you say something along the lines of "I'm not going to do it in such an obvious way". The reason for the wrist kill is to show that you are putting the top card facing the same way as the rest of the packet.

To clarify, I don't beleive I do this sequence the same way you do. I do the Triple Lift, Then I take the top card as I wrist kill with the left hand, flashing the bottom card, as I reverse the top card, and square the packet.

Another option, that Im not sure is super viable, is to use some combination of half pass and mechanical reverse, or just two half passes, to get the middle to cards face up.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1423 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
This is not the opening to Twisting the Aces as taught on ETMCM V2. It starts with a triple turnover, followed by turning the now face up AS on top of the pack over, so it's face down. Now the trick begins with Elmsley's...

Quote:
On Feb 16, 2019, supremefiction wrote:
If someone could kindly give me some guidance, I would greatly appreciate it.

It seems that the opening moves of Twisting the Aces are 1) triple lift, 2) turn packet face up, 3) turn bottom card of packet face up and replace on bottom, 4) turn packet face up. Thus you get the starting position of (from top) face down Ace, face up Ace, face up Ace, and face down Ace.

I do not like this sequence. Can someone suggest alternate(s)?

Thanks in advance.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3238 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2019, lynnef wrote:
As Sixten says, the patter "makes sense", and is part of the trick. The Asher Twist, as a sleight, can be used for this trick and others, but you still need the patter. If you really think it "looks suspicious" when you perform it, it will look suspicious. On the other hand, isn't a lot of magic suspicious by nature? Why are we twisting the cards anyway? I perform the classic, but the Asher Twist would be worth looking into as something you might want. Lee Asher is one of the VIP's in the Café btw! Have fun! Lynn


The reason for me suggesting lee Asher's variation ie The Asher Twist is because the Op mentioned that he wasn't comfortable with setting up the effect in order to begin Twisting The Aces ie that was the part that looked suspicious where as with The Asher Twist there is no set up you just display the cards and away you go plus it has the nice kicker finish at the end where all the cards turn over at once.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
Thank you to all, your comments have helped me focus.

Sixten: I think the move Ammar makes at 0:23 is too obvious.

Warren: I think you solved my problem. I can get at least one card reversed quite easily with this.

lynnef: "If you really think it "looks suspicious" when you perform it, it will look suspicious." Not sure I agree. However, Incanto's and your points are very well taken about using patter to cover/justify actions.

Incanto: the mechanical reverse is viable, thanks!

One other thought--switch in a reversed fifth card while still holding the deck to use as a "dummy" face down ace; could reverse this card with some kind of double lift reverse prior to switch in.

Im still thinking Jack Parker or Earick or someone equally sneaky has come up with a solution for this.

Again, much appreciated.
dj
View Profile
Special user
803 Posts

Profile of dj
For me, this is the most direct "Twisting the Aces" routine:
https://youtu.be/PuDkq0oDi8Y
Yehuda
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2019, supremefiction wrote:
I don't like it because I think 2 and 3 look suspicious/unnatural. I'm looking for something that looks less suspect. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Check out Jason England's At the Table Lecture. He teaches his handling of Twisting the Aces and the setup is similar to the original, but I think he tweaks and motivates the actions better.

Yehuda
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of jcroop
In a variation of Twisting the Aces, John Cornelius eliminates the suspicion of the triple in Marked for Life by doing it behind the back mimicking how his "uncle" turned a card face down. It fits in perfectly with his patter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj5DX3zJ5tw
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3238 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, dj wrote:
For me, this is the most direct "Twisting the Aces" routine:
https://youtu.be/PuDkq0oDi8Y


dj that is indeed an excellent way to go into Twisting The Aces very nice Smile
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4274 Posts

Profile of Sixten
It is a truly wonderful version. Mr. dj is a very talented magician. Smile
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1176 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, dj wrote:
For me, this is the most direct "Twisting the Aces" routine:
https://youtu.be/PuDkq0oDi8Y


Is there a reason you would opt for counts over spreads?
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
A like the dj routine also. That is more along the line I was thinking of. Thanks.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1312 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I really like patter in magic... and not just for misdirection (although this is a factor). It's about the 'story", even if it's mime! Lynn
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3238 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, lynnef wrote:
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I really like patter in magic... and not just for misdirection (although this is a factor). It's about the 'story", even if it's mime! Lynn



I agree completely however the method was very good and I think that was the point being made.
dj
View Profile
Special user
803 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, dj wrote:
For me, this is the most direct "Twisting the Aces" routine:
https://youtu.be/PuDkq0oDi8Y


Is there a reason you would opt for counts over spreads?

I do not understand what exactly do you mean?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Help with Twisting the Aces (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL