The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Henning Ring and string (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
853 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2582 Posts

Profile of John Long
I've not seen this done with a rope.

I can imagine how this might be done with a heavy duty version of a "device" commonly used in non-rope effects, but..

An effect that looks as amazing is Shigeru Sugawara's Ring and Ribbon (but I doubt this his trick would work with a rope).
https://www.seomagic-usa.com/product_inf......s_id/694

Let us know if you find a source;
John
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3289 Posts

Profile of Julie
Bewildering or something like that by Horace or Doug Bennett (I think)?

Julie
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2582 Posts

Profile of John Long
Julie: Do you know if this appears in a book, or a marketed effect?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3289 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi John

It was a marketed effect by "Cimerod" (probably wrong spelling) in Canada. If you have difficulty pinning down an old catalog or magazine ad etc. through Google, let me know and I will see what I can locate.

Julie
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
853 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2019, John Long wrote:
Julie: Do you know if this appears in a book, or a marketed effect?


I think that's what she was saying. 🙂 Thanks for the input tho John. 👍 appreciated! 🙂
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
853 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2019, John Long wrote:
I've not seen this done with a rope.

I can imagine how this might be done with a heavy duty version of a "device" commonly used in non-rope effects, but..

An effect that looks as amazing is Shigeru Sugawara's Ring and Ribbon (but I doubt this his trick would work with a rope).
https://www.seomagic-usa.com/product_inf......s_id/694

Let us know if you find a source;
John


And holy shhh that was incredible!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21638 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This was sold by Tannen's Magic in the 1970's, Doug Bennett is credited for the effect. I believe is was part of Tannen's Stars of Magic series. From all the old comments given back then, it is not very practical. It has to be presented much like Doug Henning performed it. There is a gaff that most will not like, and believe they cannot get away with in a live performance. Bewildering is the name of the effect. This most likely would only be for a YouTube video these days, or very formal close-up act sitting at a table.

It sure looks great, but it was also very expensive at around $50 in the early 1970's. I have never heard of anyone using it. I bet you could find a second hand version someplace, as someone has it in the bottom of drawer.

No, I don't believe you can use rope or ribbon, it has to be done with velvet cord, exactly as Doug performed it. You don't have to set on the floor, but you do need to set on at least a chair, with no one to the right or left of you, that can see behind. So no standing spectators. I heard the ring is gimmicked, and may involve IT.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
853 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
This was sold by Tannen's Magic in the 1970's, Doug Bennett is credited for the effect. I believe is was part of Tannen's Stars of Magic series. From all the old comments given back then, it is not very practical. It has to be presented much like Doug Henning performed it. There is a gaff that most will not like, and believe they cannot get away with in a live performance. Bewildering is the name of the effect. This most likely would only be for a YouTube video these days, or very formal close-up act sitting at a table.

It sure looks great, but it was also very expensive at around $50 in the early 1970's. I have never heard of anyone using it. I bet you could find a second hand version someplace, as someone has it in the bottom of drawer.

No, I don't believe you can use rope or ribbon, it has to be done with velvet cord, exactly as Doug performed it. You don't have to set on the floor, but you do need to set on at least a chair, with no one to the right or left of you, that can see behind. So no standing spectators. I heard the ring is gimmicked, and may involve IT.



Well that sux! 🙂. It looks like real magic! Thanks for the input Bill. 👍. and thank you everyone for your help.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
The ring is not gimmicked.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5273 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Bill is basically correct. "Bewildering" was a Tannen's product sold in the mid 80s as part of a "New Stars of Magic" series of tricks and effects. It was by Doug Bennett. As Bill points out the angles were bad and and venues it cold be played few and far between. The ring is not gaffed but the cord is. It uses a weight and monofilament (near IT) as the motive force. You need to be seating to control what needs to be controlled. It would be a great Youtube or TV trick.

In general it is not all that practical. I got it from Al Cohen shortly after seeing Doug perform on the Carson show. Al tried to talk me out of it but I didn't listen. I spent a couple of weeks practicing and rehearsing with the prop and actually performed it once in my kitchen for family and a few friends. Then it went into the box and stored since. I eventually cannibalized the component parts for other things I was working on so it was not a total loss.

You can sometimes find a complete package on the vintage magic sites or on eBay
Here is a link to a vintage site;

https://www.magiccollectibles.com/produc......ht-show/

and here is a link to one that sold on eBay. The photo shows the weight and line set-up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bewildering-Dou......75.l2557


If you can make it work (as did Doug Henning and the inventor Doug Bennett) it is a thing of beauty. In my hands not so much.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
FrankFindley
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I also purchased this way back when and never used it. It was too limited in conditions (seated at covered table with limited angles) to make it a staple for type of shows I did. Penetrative silk is better for platform/stage (no camera needed) and chinese coin off string routine plays stronger and is more practical for parlour/table.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
853 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Well, shout! It Looks incredible. Thank you all for the input. 👍👈
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2296 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Actually I have a standup handling that works quite well.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
magic.99
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Doug Henning's routine was wonderful. Never purchased Bewildering myself, but if does look like REEL magic to me! Maybe not...
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
It's not.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Kevin Janise
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Kevin Janise
Fishing Smile A previous post gives the solution.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Henning Ring and string (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL