The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Why is it called "Professor's nightmare"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rcad
View Profile
Loyal user
St-Eustache
211 Posts

Profile of rcad
I've learned this trick in a book and I've seen many posts about this routine on this forum but can anyone tell me why it's called "Professor's nightmare"? I know it refers to the original patter but I wish I knew it if only for my personal magic education.

Richard
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." Albert Einstein
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I may be all wet on this...but...I believe that the original patter involved a professor that set about to disprove the following theory (or this was at least my remembrance of it):

"Things equal to the same thing, or to equal things, are equal to each other. Unlikes are unlike and remain unlike."

I also believe I am correct in saying that Gene Gordon created this effect and original patter. He owned a magic shop in Buffalo, New York, and is noted for founding the IBM.

Nicholas
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Patter is Gene Gordon's. In the US, the effect is generally credited to Bob Carver.

0pus
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Way back when I first learned it, it was just called my favorite rope trick.
Daniel Faith
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
The way I understand it, a professor was in class, and a kid use this trick as a math principal. The professor had a hard time figuring this out.
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
Drkptrs1975,

I heard that same story.

I tend to believe it as I did PN in front of a group of doctors, lawyers and college professors and 'FRIED' them!

Charlie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Why is it called "Professor's nightmare"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL