The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Now what was I gonna do with this? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mike Gainor
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
131 Posts

Profile of Mike Gainor
I consider myself to be an extremely creative person. I have moments of great ideas and new interpretations which I have written down to work on once I have that reclusive X variable.

I started writing down all my ideas as I discovered that though my inner voice assures me I will remember them, I inevitably forget.

So I was reviewing one of my ideas on a concept using mini-tarot cards and even went to the trouble to create a partial powerpoint presentation for work flow. It sat on my hardrive for a few weeks until the cards arrived and I have no idea what I was planning to do with them.

I decided to open other idea documents (Word, Excel) and found other great ideas that I'm struggling to recall "what was I gonna do with this?" moments.

I know as we grow older our memory starts to go; as I witness in my parents, but I thought I would be able to see my own 'senior' moments coming.

The excitement and clarity I had during the drafting process now eludes me. I have a general idea of the direction but not the 'how' of it.

So who else can relate?
Puppets seem like vampires sometimes. They live, and you're depleted.
Henry Selick
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1322 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I would say I can, but I don’t remember, I don’t think you are alone in this aspect though.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26852 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Unlike sands through the hourglass or the days of our lives... closer to pairs of socks in the dryer. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26852 Posts

@Mike, sorry, your post deserves a serious reply. Here goes:

It's not fun to find out memory is built of sand and upon the sands of time as we experience it. Not when sands are blow around by circumstance. There's a lot of stress and distraction in our lives to disrupt our drawings in the sand. Tides wash away our memory palaces of sand. There's always change we don't notice as it happens. Language helps. Notes where you write "next step" and "objective" for items are good. David Allen's "Getting Things Done" has good ideas. Schemes fail when a few details are left out. So many orphaned post-its wind up in the trash. Were those scratches supposed to mean something? Was it music? A mathematical proof? Perhaps a shopping list? Maybe it would look nice on the wall?

I have to write the audience side view of an item down pretty completely to avoid having good ideas leak out of context and intention into wherever it is that the socks go. I wind up with tales of three pairs of socks put into the wash and find endings where five socks are removed at the end yet none of them make pairs. There are the moments when what look like good ideas find their way into other people's stories - the muse of the moment has worked though another artist. So I look again at books I saw decades ago. And build anew for today. Sometimes I get to answer my inspirations. Sometimes I miss by a few years.

We forget so we can learn. Moments when perspective shifts don't wait for dreams are fine. We pick up our feet between steps.

It was over thirty years between hearing a description of Schrodinger's thought experiment and reading Einstein's comments... and then writing mention of a cat jumping out of the box, hissing at the experimenter before running away having lost perhaps half its nine lives. Decades between the atom and the cat. About a decade before I chanced to consider using the die box as production while talking about the cat. A few days before there was some thinking about the story as noticed by three others; One sees a cat put in the box. A second guy finds a cat in a box and removes it. A third guy puts his puppy in the box. Then the first guy comes back and wonders about his cat ... finding a dog in its place.

Time to make a fresh cup of tea, Smile

Jon
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15675 Posts

Profile of tommy
Speaking of memory, I know somebody who recently bumped his head and lost his memory somewhat. For example, he does not remember that some people he knew are now dead and he thinks he lives at his old house and so on. He has sort of, I think, gone back in time some years. He seems though to be getting better slowly.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4670 Posts

Profile of landmark
Not only do I not remember what I was referring to in my notes, I don't even remember writing the notes.

I wrote a novel where one of the characters, a retired engineer, faces that dilemma:

"Gordon had noticed it happening in Florida and he wondered whether Parker had noticed. He couldn’t remember where he had left anything. Not just his keys. Gordon tried to laugh it off, but he didn’t know whether Parker was convinced. How could you remember that you weren’t remembering? He opened his refrigerator door and saw a note on the vegetable crisper:

Today is Saturday, August 27th. It is 3:00 pm on a sunny day. I’m writing this to see how long it takes me to remember that I wrote this. I will put this in the refrigerator, and every time I open the refrigerator I will write the time on it, and whether I remembered whether the note itself was there. I will write down 1) whether I was surprised to see it 2) if I didn’t remember, what time I read it or saw it, or 3) whether I had knowledge of the last date on the note."
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1584 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I hope you remembered to let the cat out of the die box.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Mike Gainor
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
131 Posts

Profile of Mike Gainor
I don't remember creating this thread...

Just kidding. I normally have very good recall skills. When using mnemonics I can easily recall the order of 60 things, and recall memories with vivid detail from over 30 years ago.

Besides not remembering my project notes direction I had a false memory recall the other day. When I was 15 or 16 I thought I spent a week with a cousin in Florida; and it was fond memory too, but the other day the pieces didn't add up. I know I went there, but it wasn't for a week, nor overnight. It was just a few hours only. When I tested the memory (where did I sleep, eat, etc..) the memory fell apart. The next day is when I reviewed the notes mentioned above.

So if you truly have memory loss and no one tells you, will you ever know? I'm going to have to keep a journal.
Henry Selick
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8301 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have a different view of my apparent slowing of mental soup. I took care of my parents into their nineties, each with different from of dementia.
I now appraise my own condition against a backdrop of what they did remember.

Once, when my dad was rudely asked, "Doesn't it bother you at 89 to realize how much you have forgotten?"
He replied, "I remember a lot more than those who didn't make it to 89."

I now meet young folks with nothing in their lives worth remembering. If recalling a vicarious experience really a memory, or just more vicarious fluff?

As we get older our mind get filled up with a lot of needless drivel and we are not well trained in our culture to filter it out.
Plus, the list of people on the personal list of those best qualified for Solent Green increases.

I also learned that just because a senior does not respond immediately to your silly question does not mean they have memory loss.
Often they have so many possible answers they are trying to figure out what is appropriate or what terms you might understand.

When my mom was being "evaluated" by a very obnoxious psychologist, this woman said, "You can expect to loose about a third of your vocabulary in the next five years."
Mom said, "That's OK. I can loose more than half and still have more than you."

As a writer it is fun to discover something I wrote a decade ago and muse, "What idiot wrote that?"

My memory is more refined now and and hope to loose a lot more of what I never should have remembered in the first place.

"Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most." Can't remember who said that ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4670 Posts

Profile of landmark
Some great laughs in there. Thanks.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26852 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 19, 2019, ringmaster wrote:
I hope you remembered to let the cat out of the die box.

Yes, that was the point of the story - thirty years to shift focus from the atom to the cat. The cat has left the box, expressed its opinion of the experiment and gone on to other things. You're welcome to use the cat as eggbag climax after a dove production too.

It's not only about aging. Stress, and the number of ongoing tasks are also relevant. Like plate spinning. Bandwidth/number of channels?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5933 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
I consider myself to be an extremely creative person. I have moments of great ideas and new interpretations which I have written down to work on once I have that reclusive X variable.

I started writing down all my ideas as I discovered that though my inner voice assures me I will remember them, I inevitably forget.

So I was reviewing one of my ideas on a concept using mini-tarot cards and even went to the trouble to create a partial powerpoint presentation for work flow. It sat on my hardrive for a few weeks until the cards arrived and I have no idea what I was planning to do with them.

I decided to open other idea documents (Word, Excel) and found other great ideas that I'm struggling to recall "what was I gonna do with this?" moments.

I know as we grow older our memory starts to go; as I witness in my parents, but I thought I would be able to see my own 'senior' moments coming.

The excitement and clarity I had during the drafting process now eludes me. I have a general idea of the direction but not the 'how' of it.

So who else can relate?

The Memory Book by Harry Lorayne.
It is life changing.
Mike Gainor
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
131 Posts

Profile of Mike Gainor
I think it is stress related. I haven't had a day off in over 2 months nor a vacation in nearly a year.

Reverse engineering some of these projects I think I know what direction I had in mind.

The powerpoint was a template for an interactive prediction using tarot cards which I'll convert eventually to HTML5.
Henry Selick
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5933 Posts

Profile of magicfish
You take vacations?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19400 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Have not had one in about 6 years. But next weekend I am going to a comedy festival near Toronto I was invited to for work and I am going early to see the Maple Leafs play!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5933 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Oh wow! That's a hot ticket! Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Kadri, Kapanen, Nylander, Anderson, and now this new guy we picked up from L.A. on the point. Great hockey!
Have you been before?
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Some of the things I do for my memory are, Ginkgo Biloba, Sudoku and other mind games, keeping a diary. The diary not only helps me to remember things and when they happened but could also act as conformation of actions I have taken, in situations that might need explaining latter on. Good labeling, is essential. "Idea for a demonstration with tarot cards where blah blah blah" might have been helpful in this situation?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Mike Gainor
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
131 Posts

Profile of Mike Gainor
At the time I thought it was self-explanatory. I finally remembered what I was going to do. This was an side idea that sprung up from the original ideas of using mini-tarot cards.

It's a rather brilliant idea, so... I better add a few notes before I forget again. Smile
Henry Selick
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
22 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2019, funsway wrote:

Once, when my dad was rudely asked, "Doesn't it bother you at 89 to realize how much you have forgotten?"
He replied, "I remember a lot more than those who didn't make it to 89."

That's some fantastically funny wisdom. So often we choose to focus on what we've lost rather than what we have.

Quote:
On Feb 20, 2019, funsway wrote:

As we get older our mind get filled up with a lot of needless drivel and we are not well trained in our culture to filter it out.

I suspect needless drivel is always part of the mind's activity, but as we get older maybe we tend to identify with it more.

Maybe focusing on minutiae serves as a distraction and an attempt to fill the void of boredom and lack of meaningful passion.
Mike Gainor
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
131 Posts

Profile of Mike Gainor
OK, now I'm worried.

I apparently bought the same airline ticket twice. I bought a ticket just the other day, paid for it and sent my itinerary to the wife. I checked Travelocity to check my trip and car rental and saw an additional ticket (one day off) for the same destination. Thinking I was being double billed due to a computer glitch I contacted Travelocity.

So apparently, I bought the other ticket on 15 February. I don't remember seeing it on my email, nor buying the ticket at that time. I thought they may be trying to double bill me so I logged into my credit card and searching the statements for February I found the purchase.

I can understand that I may have bought it back then and have tidbits of recall, but no real memory. Seems like something I would have printed out and remembered...

January and February were rather stressful months (I almost quit my job) so it may be stress related. Still...
Henry Selick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Now what was I gonna do with this? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL