The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » New book from Steve Forte (174 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Elite user
i have nothing to say about my
433 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2019, 5ggg wrote:
...is there talk of it going for that price....?

1500 being the probable print run, not the price. Jason has said it's likely to be around $300.
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
To say this book is highly anticipated would be somewhat of an understatement, and predicting sales of any given book on magic has proven to be all but impossible ... even for the wise pundits among us.

For those who might want a copy of Forte's new book, it would only seem prudent to order immediately upon release ... or no doubt tears will be shed, and posts will be plentiful on assorted magic forums begging for a second edition (something Forte definitely hasn't had a habit of doing based on his previous releases).

But then again, who knows - this could be a new Greater Magic, and in print for the next two hundred years.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2369 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2019, Mr. Bones wrote:

To say this book is highly anticipated would be somewhat of an understatement, and predicting sales of any given book on magic has proven to be all but impossible ... even for the wise pundits among us.

That's an interesting observation. Yes, there is a lot of excitement on this BB about Forte's book. However, the people on this forum appear to be but a small segment of the magic community as a whole, which is a considerably larger group than the demo/gambling/hobbyist segment.

Not to detract from Forte's new book in any way, my question is this. Does the giddiness shown on this forum indicative of the interest that will be generated by the magic community as a whole, or is it just representative of a small, somewhat specialized segment of same?
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Cag, I see mention of his book on the Theory 11 forums, and elsewhere on the magic and gambling internet sites, including here on the Café.
I think most folks on the Magic Café come to the Gambling Spot to read (even if they don't post, which most don't) anything and everything about Forte ... mainly because they know Jason posts here, and they know that Jason is associated with the book.

I think with the typical press run of magic books somewhere between 1000 and 1500, and with many of those "other" magic books (if they're popular) selling out quite quickly ... Forte should have no problem selling his first (perhaps only) run out quite quickly.

I think a positive review in Genii and elsewhere on magic forums would likely result in a quick disappearance of the book for sale ... with perhaps the only real caveat (and it's not to be overlooked) being the potential $300.00 selling price, which will be far higher (with exchange) in other countries, and higher too in the U.S. with additional postage for such a large book adding another $30.00 or $40.00 to the overall price.

I guess we'll see though, likely sooner than later.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2369 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Bones, you make a good point and are probably right on your observations.

Forte is almost legendary in magic circles, areas which extend well beyond gambling protection and exposes. Also, in his later years he appears to have drifted towards the performance of gambling themed magic effects and card tricks and probably gets considerable enjoyment from doing so.

Inasmuch as his new book may very well be more on a magic/gambling theme and the performance of associated effects along those lines, the market probably is considerably wider than I initially anticipated. Couple that with anticipated favorable reviews in magic publications, that will probably give a considerable boost to sales.

Since I don't demonstrate or perform and have little interest in doing so, I will probably buy the book to have a copy on my shelf and for the enjoyment of reading it.

Also, I am not above learning a thing or two along the way...

Yup...still not too old to learn and hope springs eternal.
5ggg
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of 5ggg
On FB, and reddit, this book is brought up on occasion. I don't think it will have an issue at all selling. I would think many of the bigger card guys are at least familiar with his name
Scodischarge
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Scodischarge
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2019, Mr. Bones wrote:
Cag, I see mention of his book on the Theory 11 forums, and elsewhere on the magic and gambling internet sites, including here on the Café.
I think most folks on the Magic Café come to the Gambling Spot to read (even if they don't post, which most don't) anything and everything about Forte ... mainly because they know Jason posts here, and they know that Jason is associated with the book.

That post you saw on Theory11 was probably mine, and I only knew of this because I frequently read the posts here. As you might have seen, the post didn't get any overwhelming reactions; except for some gambling sleight enthusiasts there were just one or two people who seemed interested in it.
I honestly don't think Steve Forte is as well-known among other magicians who don't share our, shall we say, special interests. Of course, if this book will be "the next Erdnase" that may change, but though I certainly wouldn't wait too long to buy it, I don't think any of us will have trouble getting a copy.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1052 Posts

Profile of reese
I think Steve Forte is very well known among serious card handlers throughout the world.
lagoss
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of lagoss
If I miss out I don't know what I'll do...
happy003
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of happy003
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2019, lagoss wrote:

Me too!
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2369 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2019, reese wrote:
I think Steve Forte is very well known among serious card handlers throughout the world.

I think that is a more accurate observation than my statement of being well know in "magic circles." Since I don't hang or associate with magicians or "serious card handlers" as such, I am out of my depth as to who knows whom regarding Forte and how widely known he is.

Now being well known among professional gamblers who use various forms of chicanery...well that may be a different story.
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
I've not met anybody (in North America) in the past decade who handles cards seriously for entertainment or their own personal interest who doesn't know who Steve Forte is.

If you know "serious" card guys who indeed don't know who he is, the word "serious" in the referring sentence may require reconsideration.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Elite user
i have nothing to say about my
433 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2019, happy003 wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2019, lagoss wrote:

Me too!

Don't worry. The way the book market is these days, for any title to sell out 1500 copies immediately upon release would be basically unheard of. 1500 is PLENTY for everyone.
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
Any updates? Smile
Scodischarge
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Scodischarge
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2019, Mr. Bones wrote:
I've not met anybody (in North America) in the past decade who handles cards seriously for entertainment or their own personal interest who doesn't know who Steve Forte is.

If you know "serious" card guys who indeed don't know who he is, the word "serious" in the referring sentence may require reconsideration.

Reese, Cag and Bones, you're probably right. In Europe it's probably quite different than in North America, which is why I wrote that rather rushed comment.
I actually meant it to be an answer to the fear that it would sell out before we got the chance to buy it. What I should have said is that the majority of card handlers are hobby-magicians with relatively little interest in card cheating, advantage play etc., who may have heard of Steve Forte but never had that much interest in him or his work, and thus probably won't buy this book, at least not before we have had the chance.

I apologize for any confusion my comment may have caused! Smile
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1661 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
The book has essentially been completely edited. Steve has sent sample pages to the printer so that he can get printed sample paper examples back from them. That allows him to choose which type and weight of paper he wants.

Definitely in the endgame.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2369 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, JasonEngland wrote:
The book has essentially been completely edited. Steve has sent sample pages to the printer so that he can get printed sample paper examples back from them. That allows him to choose which type and weight of paper he wants.

Definitely in the endgame.

Jason

Thanks for the update my friend.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » New book from Steve Forte (174 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL