We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » LANCE Burton ON NBC (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
sc24evr
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of sc24evr
Lance Burton will be on the tonight show tonight (tuesday night) incase anyone cares to watch.
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
311 Posts

Profile of xformer7
Thanks for making me stay up until 12:30 last night Smile
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I hate the card trick he performed. It is overdone in Vegas, as in most shows perform it. What is it called anyway?
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
It's called "Phil", sold at many magic dealers. The card Lance showed last night he had named "Bill". Coincidence?

Bill Beach
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I saw Steve Dacri perform this trick at his Vegas show, and I was disappointed and the laypeople around me were even more so disappointed. Terrible.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
I have performed "Phil" numerous times to great reactions... Weird...

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I missed the performance, can somebody explain the effect to me?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
It just isn't amazing. It is an average run of the mill trick. My wife (a lay woman) can't stand seeing that trick performed, and she left when Burton pulled it out.
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
311 Posts

Profile of xformer7
It would be interesting to understand how Mr. Burton decided on that effect. "Let's see....I'm going to be on national television with time for one close-up effect. Which one trick can I do that will blow the nation away.....hmmmmm.....think I'll go with 'Bill'."

On the other hand, I was amazed at his first illusion. I can't figure out how he was able to replace the silicon with helium.
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
A-HAH! The old silicon/helium switch! So that's how she levitated! I would have figured it out eventually.

Bill Beach
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
311 Posts

Profile of xformer7
Quote:
On 2004-05-12 13:31, hdoctor wrote:
It's called "Phil", sold at many magic dealers. The card Lance showed last night he had named "Bill". Coincidence?

Bill Beach

I wonder if this effect can be adapted for a card named "Jill?"
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-05-12 14:54, xformer7 wrote:
It would be interesting to understand how Mr. Burton decided on that effect. "Let's see....I'm going to be on national television with time for one close-up effect. Which one trick can I do that will blow the nation away.....hmmmmm.....think I'll go with 'Bill'."

On the other hand, I was amazed at his first illusion. I can't figure out how he was able to replace the silicon with helium.

LoL. I didn't get it at first (I am a bit slow), but man...thanks for the good laugh!

Yes, why would he have chosen this effect to go before MILLIONS of people? He has so many other great effects. Heck, even the invisible deck would have been ten times better than that.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Quote:
Heck, even the invisible deck would have been ten times better than that.

"Even" the Invisible Deck? How could any card trick be better than that? That would have been a great choice for Burton, but he probably felt it was too common in magician's circles to get any respect with it. Got to hand it to Blaine, who's courageous enough to only care what laypeople think of him.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-05-12 16:35, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
Quote:
Heck, even the invisible deck would have been ten times better than that.

"Even" the Invisible Deck? How could any card trick be better than that? That would have been a great choice for Burton, but he probably felt it was too common in magician's circles to get any respect with it. Got to hand it to Blaine, who's courageous enough to only care what laypeople think of him.

I agree.

Maybe Lance Burton needs a magic counsellor to help him pick out tricks....

I should make a resume.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
The "Phil trick" is a version of the classic "Oscar" effect. "Phil" however uses a different method.

The effect is a killer one, notwithstanding your wife's reactions. It has been a feature in many magicians acts and various versions of the effect have fooled coutless of audiences, both laymen and magician alike.

Like with so many of these tricks, few performers give proper thought to how to maximize the effect's impact. So we have people learning from having watched those who do not understand the trick properly.

I would not discount the power of this effect.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
That is the thing....it does fool people. Maybe sometimes it does....but the times I have seen it...it didn't fool hardly anyone.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Then I would say the performer is not doing something correct. If indeed the PHIL deck was in use, I find it curious how a layperson could surmise the actual working. If the original Trost method was in use, I have a hard time seeing how a payperson would suspect such a strategem. And if the "fred" variation was employed, I KNOW the layperson would not catch on as too many trick use the principle successfully.

Why do you think it has failed on the occasions you have seen it do so?
kenny kadabra
View Profile
Elite user
scotland
437 Posts

Profile of kenny kadabra
I bought "phil" from Mr Roy Walton's shop in Glasgow 4 weeks ago, I decided to take myself for a pint of beer on the next street to the shop. I opened it up,read the instructions, played with it a bit, loved it.Two pints later, the guy at the next table was very curious and asked what I was doing, as only a friendly Glaswegian would do,I said "my name's Kenny" what's yours? yes you guessed it "Phil" was the reply! What a guy to try it out on for the first time eh? Kenny
Magic ain't an illusion ! it's a "way of life"
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2004-05-12 16:49, Astinus wrote:
That is the thing....but the times I have seen it...it didn't fool hardly anyone.

Astinus: are you really saying that your wife figured this out? Or laymen figure this out? I can't imagine more than 1% of spectators figuring this out if they see it performed.

Gianni
sc24evr
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of sc24evr
What about the lev, what do you guys think of that, I'm still pondering methods.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » LANCE Burton ON NBC (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL